Freeing hard drive space.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dimiterb2000, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dimiterb2000

dimiterb2000 Registered Member

:doubt: My C:\ drive is 94% full, and I want to bring it down to at least 85%. I started uninstalling quite a few applications, and deleting quite a few files, and as a result
    THE FREE SPACE BECAME EVEN LESS , now it is 4%o_O....This seems totally illogical , one should admit!!!
    Explanations as to this phenomenon, as well as advice, ideas, suggestions as to freeing at least 10% more disk space welcome! :
    p.s. It seems Empty Norton Recycler is an XP feature only, please do not suggest, it doesn't work in my case.

2. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Clearly, if you can't empty the recycle bin, you can't reclaim the space that the deleted files still use.

It's been some time since I used Norton/Symantec, but there is a way to turn off the Norton Recyle Bin. Explore the Norton options - it's in there.

If you don't defeat this 'feature', the space will not be relinquished until Norton allows it (30 days or whatever period you allowed/set).

If you examine the situation you are now in - you can't clean disk space because Norton Recycle Bin prevents you - Norton is malware. It's also one of the most bloated apps, further aggravating your HD space problem.

There are better solutions.

3. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Should be able to right click the Recycle bin, select open then delete what you want without Norton interfering. Works on my old Systemworks anyways

4. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

What OS are you using?

There are two programs that I use alot for maintenance and cleaning, REST2514 , a free program primarily used for file restoring, but it also has a secure delete function which clears free space on the hard drive, over writting the trash. The program is tiny an can be run off of a floppy disk.

The second program is PerfectDisk , a defragger that rearranges the way windows uses the hard drive space, after you defrag using it, the blue bars in the Win defrag window will be almost contiguous, allowing faster retrieval of programs/files. (This program has a free 30 day trial.)

I would also suggest a Thorough cleaning, use the guide HERE it is usually used for getting rid of viruses/Trojans etc, but will be a help to you.

If you really want a clean fast system, back up what you need and reformat, I’ve written a quick basic guide HERE , take into account the OS, and security software that you use, for Win98 some steps are a little bit different.

You can download an unofficial service pack for Win98 HERE , I have used it and found it to be reliable.

5. dimiterb2000

1. So shall I assume that replacing Norton with another AV is being advised? I simply inherited this PC with Norton already installed, and from what I hear if you uninstall Norton it tends to leave harmful hidden pieces which interfere with the new AV, that is what Tiny Firewall did to me some time ago, for instance. That is why I have refrained from getting rid of Norton. I have looked through Norton options twice, couldn't find the "Empty Recycler " option. Will try again.
    2.By right clicking on the Recycle Bin I even have " Erase Beyond Recovery" installed from CyberScrub, but it deosn't help.
    3. My OS is Windows 2000 Pro. Sweetie's recommendations are most comprehensive and helpful for which I thank you, but as usual they are in conflict with the time factor... I will run what I can from what has been offered ASAP and inform. :ninja:

6. Sweetie(*)(*)

Thank you.

Depending on which version of Norton you have, there are uninstallers available to clean up the left over stuff.

Take a look HERE

7. dimiterb2000

So what would your tip for a replacing AV be?
    ADD: There is DEFINITELY no "Empty Norton Recycler" option on my version!!!/Norton 2002/. It does seem that describing Norton as malware rings a very true note!!! :mad:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  8. Right click on the recycle bin and select "regular bin" and you no longer have the "protected bin".....Norton is the most respected AV provider in the world. Let's all keep some perspective here.

9. I meant to say above that I hate the protected bin as much as anyone. It is silly and redundant. After all, what's the regular recycle bin for? It's so you don't just "delete" something and have a chance to recover an accidentally deleted file. What's the "protected" bin for? To make sure you don't accidentally delete a file that you accidentally deleted. Why not a protected protected bin so that if you accidentally delete the "protected bin", you're still protected? Huho_O Well it's almost that bad.

10. Sweetie(*)(*)

Hi, Norton is a very good AV with excellent detection abilities, it is one of the most popular Antivirus scanners in the world, though because of this it gets targeted by virus writters more often.

Some of the older examples, such as NAV 2002 do have unistall issues,there are special clean up programs available, as i posted above.

Its size an use of system resources are mainly a personal thing, if your system runs it ok, then theres no problem. The only issue I have with NAV is the once a week update procedure, although in emergencies they do release flash updates.

Personally I use NOD32 AV, it has good detection rates, excellent Advaned Heuristics & probably the fastest scanning engine there is.

11. dimiterb2000

:'( I am sorry to inform, that right clicking, at least in my case, does not reveal any protected or regular bin...Here is what is offered after right click:Open; Explore;Erase beyond recovery; Open CCleaner;RunCCleaner;Empty rfecycle bin; Create shortcut;Properties.
    NONE of them contains either protected, or regular bin! :(

12. dimiterb2000

For Sweetie:
    I downloaded
    "REST2514 , a free program primarily used for file restoring, but it also has a secure delete function which clears free space on the hard drive, over writting the trash".
    How exactly is the deleting executed? The two options available are "Restore by Copying", or "Exit"o_O Please advise.

13. dimiterb2000

PerfectDisk Failure..

Unfortunately, my computer started delivering the notorious Microsoft "Error 1500- there is another installation running" sign while I try to download PerfectDisk, so it is a nonstarter. This "Error 1500" thing is a basic flaw on my PC, which actually provoked me to start postings in fora/ cexx.org, etc./, unfortunately it stays unresolved.
    The most elementary calculation reveals, that by eliminating programs and applications, I should have at least 15% free space, and yet it is frozen at 4%!!! Something has to be done, perhaps contact Norton directly about this recyclero_O? :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.