Wrong geometry from RamDisk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dcol, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcol

dcol Registered Member

I am running RamDiskPlus from Superspeed. When I try to create an image in Acronis TI server, current version, I get an error stating that it cannot read a sector on the ramdisk. I ignore that, then the display shows 3 partitions in the hunderds of GB's that aren't there with unknown file system types.

The Ramdisk is a single 500MB NTFS partition that is readable in Explorer and all my other programs without any problems.

I can avoid the errors on a manual backup, but I get a crash on a scheduled backup when it hits the error.

If I run disk director first, it does not see the ramdisk, then when I start TI create image, the error goes away until I get to the final screen when the backup starts, then the error pops up again.

If I retry the error, I get a BSOD that says snapdisk.exe failed.

Any Ideas?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dcol,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image Server (http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATISWin/).

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

Could you please send Acronis Report and screenshot of the error to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread? Please indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Ilya Toytman.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  3. dcol

dcol Registered Member

Data on the way.
    Tried this also on another system using a different OS. Same problem

By the way, I don't want to use TI on this RamDisk, I just want TI it to ignore it.

4. dcol

dcol Registered Member

I found a temp work-around.

If I go into Disk Director and delete the bogus ramdisk partitions, then TI works without the error. The ramdisk isn't affected by doing this. Problem is, this is a manual change. If the system reboots unattended the error returns.

After a little investigation, I think this problem is due to Acronis products not recognizing the ID of the ramdisk, so it treats it like a physical harddisk. I think if Acronis added this device into their ID list and dealt with it accordingly, it would function normally.

By the way, I want to thank Acronis for a great product at a great price. I know there are many querks with this product, but most of them are using non-typical hardware (ie, USB, SATA, Ramdisk). For the standard IDE or SCSI based systems, this product works nicely. At least for me. Saved my hide on many occasions.

The only thing this product really needs is an optional verify image after creation and some sort of alert if an error is encountered during scheduled backups (ie, event log, email).

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.