Free low resource firewall.....

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by nixie21, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

As long as it is free and uses little resources and it will keep me safe......Which firewallo_O (not rule based if possible)

Thanks

2. Diver

Diver Guest

Its the rule based ones that use the least resources. Try Kerio 2.15 or Jetico personal Firewall 1.0. The best known free application based firewall is Zonealarm. It will use more resources than either of the rule based ones.

3. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

4. karll

karll Guest

Which one of these do you recommend and have you heard of protector firewall before?

My isp gave me it for free and it failed a GRC test out the bat, lol

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    SafeZone looks interesting to me does anyone know anything more about it?

My priorites in a firewall for my Emachine pretty much match this users thread exactly. I will be replacing Norton 2004 FW soon. ;)

6. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

The only one that I see as a completely freeware firewall without limits that I have tested is SecurePoint, it is a great app. for being free. I would suggest tring some of the others, wouldn't mess with Jetico unless you feel you are fairly advanced with PCs. I would read up as much as I could before installing anything, maybe search these and other forums for reviews... a lot of installers these days are far from perfect and the last thing you need is tons of left over crap.

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Kerio 4 ... easy to use... real nice features... BUT... poor logging.
    app control, app launch control, app spawn control.
    Kerio 4 has a new beta too.

8. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Sygate Personal Firewall
    Is it rule based? --> They all are.
    The difference is the interface or the way you decide what is allowed or not.
    Sygate has the option of setting specific rules if you choose...but
    thats not needed. It simply asks if you want to allow net access to a particular process. You answer 'Yes' or 'No' and either tick 'remember' or not.
    How secure any firewall is depends firstly on what it is capable of and secondly how much you understand to set it up.....
    If you install any firewall and then tick 'Block All' it's as secure as possible for that product...Of course then you can't access anything either so it's all a trade off --> security traded for access.
    Sygate has run great for me even with tiny resources.
    Hope this has been a little helpful.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I found Sygate to be one of the worst on cpu usage.. ram usage wasn't particularly good either. So for someone looking for a low resource firewall, I'd not recommend it, even though it is a respectable firewall...

10. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I would have to agree, Sygate seems to turn my PC into a slug, including my internet speed(somehow). Sygate also doesn't allow you to edit the Intrusion Detection rules, only add your'e own to override them. I recommended Outpost Pro, because when minimized (hidden/system tray only) it only uses 4,300 K. I have Active Content\Content Plug-Ins disabled, but he diddn't seem to be asking for those features anyway. When Frederic releases a solid version of Look 'n' Stop I will recommend that, it has very small resource usage, but at the moment it isn't the best without all the betas or w.e they are.

11. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I don't know what version you're using, but I've always been able to get massive throughput without the CPU working overtime, even with MUCH lower specs than I'm running now. Your experience is foreign to me, but anyhow maybe my experience is uncommon...don't know.

My current Sygate uses 6316 K. If you can't afford to use an extra 2k then definately rule out Sygate :)

12. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Thats cool... I dont like Sygate because of the way they handle IDS rules and default rules in general. It also seemed to slow my internet connection down, but I am only running a 533 Mhz PC. I almost always have Outpost Minimized and dont use all of the Plug-Ins, but im sure it can vary per computer.

13. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Hi :)

I checked Securepoint site... There's a pay-professional/server version, and a free/client version... Is that my understanding?!

Never heard of this one before... Could you tell us more about your experience with it if you don't mind ?

Thanks

14. Frank Leigh

Frank Leigh Registered Member

I'm using the free Outpost firewall on a little old sub-notebook that I got in a sale about seven years ago. It's a pentium (the basic pentium) 75MHz running Win98SE with 32 MB RAM and about 120 MB spare disk space. It works very well and is very easy (ie it doesn't ask me questions I don't know the answers to) to set up and use. I tried the free versions of Zone Alarm, Sygate and Kerio, but all noticeably slowed my system down.

15. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Just wondering...

How about the XP-embedded Firewall?

Not heavy on resources, as far as what I've heard... Would hesitate to use it because no outbound filtering, and never easy to know what a M$ app is actually doing (maybe something not known by the user, as has already happened in the past with some other M$ apps, mhhh?!). But I don't know....

What do you think ?

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I suppose the XP firewall would be ok if you don't want app control. But I don't really know since I'm running Win2k and not XP. For my own purposes I don't have any great need for app control, but most people want it. I guess it depends on how many crazy programs you download and install/run, and whether or not you use IE.

17. Diver

Diver Guest

K-

XP phones home so many ways that it could really sell a lot of people on application control. Everytime you search it calls some microsoft server, even for local searches. This one can be stopped with a host file entry. Press F1 for help and it will call home, but this one seems to need application control. Run the "Add Network Place" wizzard and it phones home again.

18. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Diver,

I blocked explorer, disabled security centre, time and help. Now wondering what else to disable/ block. Any ideas?

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's crazy... I never knew that. One more reason to like Win2k I guess... :D

20. no13

Don't be so sure. ~wink~
    Quit it man. MS search tracking is paranoia. RPCSS is a critical windows component that has never [in WinME or WinXP] tried to "phone home".
    You've becoming really paranoid about all this "phoning home" business, haven't you ;) Don't worry. Just supply a pseudonym for your windows install and don't bother to register with MS for support [its not free anyways].
    Try to stay On topic.

21. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I'm using Kerio 4.x. It's not that bad. Not buggy here just when I start it, it starts slow. I didn't want to use Kerio 4.x becuase of it being slow at loading but it's the only firewall I can use. Sygate won't install and ZA is not my cup of tea. I don't use the Sandbox that comes with Kerio 4.x. I don't need it. So that's works out there. But give it a try it's not that bad.

22. no13

kerio 4 bugs are there in logging features, mainly.
    try the new beta [gutsy choice, not that sane to try a beta firewall]

Slow loading IS a problem.
    If you don't like the sandbox, use Kerio 2... it's the same underneath.

23. notageek

LOL I don't nothing about rule based firewalls. That's why I'm using Kerio 4.x.

24. no13

Kerio 2.1.5 has a "Ask the user" mode.
    Use it in conjuction with the EXCELLENT config pack from BlitzenZeus @ www.DSLReports.com
    you'll be really happy [kerio 2 also has simple app control, but rules give it more flexibility]

25. notageek

Maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.