spyware questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Hard Rocker, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:ninja: Just joined tonight mainly for the purpose of learning which antispyware programs to trust. Spycop detected my CWShredder as a Spector Pro EBlaster threat and wiped it out before I realized it. Since then I downloaded the CWShredder and ran Spycop again. Once more the same detection was made but this time I just exited the Spycop program and sent Spycop an Email about this issue. Since then I have run two scans and CWShredder has not been detected or related to Spector Pro. I am a " newbie " to home computers and this seems like a trustworthy and informative site. :rolleyes:

Hard Rocker !!

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Hard Rocker,

Do you have the latest version of SpyCop and the latest definitions for it?
    I will post a screenshot with info.

There was somewhere around 9-Dec-2004 indeed a false positive from SpyCop but after I reported it to the SpyCop company, it was quickly fixed by them.

Also about which version of CWShredder are you talking?

PS: I will run a scan with SpyCop to see what happens.

Attached Files:

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You can see a few programs that are well trusted in the General Cleaning thread, as well there are a great deal of programs that are well trusted in THIS LINK.

You can find further discussion on what security to use HERE and more on how to make your system that much stronger and HERE.

Hope this helps…

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

As for SpyCop and CWShredder:

I just did a full system scan with SpyCop: no alarm !
    I have CWShredder 2.10 and 2.11 stored on my system.

So it looks to me that you have old definitions of SpyCop ;)

Attached Files:

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey FanJ,

Since Intermute's CWShredder is at version 2.12....wonder if that triggers a False positive ?

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Oops :oops: I didn't know that :oops:
    Thanks Bubba !!

At the moment I have no time; I have to go to help friends with their PC's.
    So it might well be after the weekend that I have a look at it, sorry !

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Quickly downloaded it and did right-click scan with SpyCop: no alarm.
    But I would rather do a full system scan if time permits

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

OK, double checked: no alert on my system from SpyCop after having downloaded that new version of CWShredder

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

No hit on the Intermute latest version here after a full scan - or any of the other copies of CWShredder I have, either.

Attached Files:

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thanks Gents for checking....maybe Hard Rocker's Spycop needs an update sig.

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Not only the DB, but the "Installed software version:" has to be kept up with, too, because SpyCop doesn't automatically d/l a new version - you have to do that yourself. It simply tells you if there's a new one available in the box below the one I've got the arrow on when you do an update. Pete

(<g> Okay, forget the arrow - it's among the missing!).

Attached Files:

12. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:rolleyes: Hi Guys, Thanks to FanJ, Blackspear, Bubba, and Spy1 for taking an interest in the SPYCOP / CWShredder issue. It was very encouraging to receive responses from the " senior " and more knowledgeable members of Wilders on this issue. I'm still getting the feel of the forum so I only noticed all the responses as of today. I thought people would reply via private message as one member has done. First off I'm from Quebec, Canada and have spent most of my free time until fairly recently with a Gibson Les Paul glued to my fingers and NOT a computer keyboard. Having said this, SPYCOP is up to date 6.2 exactly as FanJ's screenshot and CWShredder is the 2.12 version. In the first scan, SPYCOP detected SpectorPro EBlaster and when I performed the rename action the line C:\ recycler followed by numerous digits was then stored in the Spyware Vault. After this I noticed the CWShredder was gone from my computer !! Two days later I downloaded the CWShredder again, ran SPYCOP, and sure enough SpectorPro EBlaster was detected. At this point I did NOT take any action on the detection. Instead I X'd (exited) out of the program and Emailed SPYCOP. Now, I realize this next part will sound crazy, but after I did not action the second detection, SPYCOP no longer reports SpectorPro and my second download of the CWShredder remains intact, for now anyway !! Tech #1 at SPYCOP thinks that this " recycler " file was a temporary file created during the download of CWShredder and now that the system has removed the " unneeded " file, false detection would not take place. I should also mention that this is the trial compatibility version of SPYCOP and not the registered version. Worthy of mention, as well, my newly registered version of SpySweeper reports SPYCOP as spyware ( calls it " privacy scan " ) and I have had to place it on my SpySweeper always ignore list. When I called the Tech Support at SpySweeper they insisted their program was accurate, offered no attempt to research this and told me to go to Google and check out SPYCOP's credentials there !! Great technical support . What a joke !! This posting is turning into a mini version of " War and Peace " so I will sign off now, but please do not hesitate to send a private message if anyone has questions. Thanks again guys !!!

Hard Rocker !! :cool:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.