Gif Images Won't Animate in IE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ~*Nat*~, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Mod Note: (Posts 6-14 and 16-19 have been split off from this thread into it's own thread here with a new title: "Gif Images Won't Animate in IE" - snap

Hello LWM, :)

I too noticed, even with high security settings, but allowing active scripting here on Wilders, that 'animated gifs' for me are not 'moving'.

In your screenie, all those options are enabled in my Internet Explorer.

For example, I see your avatar as only a white box...and another one, when I posted a gif which is animated, is not visible to me.

Do you guys have any idea ? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2005
  2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re: Undisclosed Browser Concerns 4 All !

I'm not sure what to tell you about that. I just closed IE, cleared the cache and history, moved wilderssecurity.com from the Trusted zone to the Restricted zone, opened to the forum and click on a random thread with my avatar in it... and it was animated. (Screen shot below is just a snapshot mid-kiss, showing the restricted symbol in the lower corner.)

Do you have any other privacy, proxy or filtering software? Even many of the software firewalls can filter animated GIFs. ZAP can.

Attached Files:

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Do you use Proxomitron?

4. snap in IE

snap in IE Guest

Hi Nat,

I'm not sure why you are not able to see animated gif's, but I just pulled up my IE and removed wilderssecurity from my trusted zone (where I usually have it) which puts it back into the Internet Zone. I have everything in my Internet Zone set to disabled (with the exception of "submit non-encrypted form data so I can submit this post) ... and I can still see the animated gifs animating, along with spanner's scrolling signature.

It might be another setting somewhere, or another program that is interferring with you're being able to see animated images?

Regards,

snap

5. ~*Nat*~

No LWM & Blackspear....I don't use any of those filtering apps.

Hmmm..I'm not totally sure but could my ISP be the culprit ? I not too long ago switched to a new one, and with its Pop-up blocking I think they gave me a proxy, automatically. I see 'proxy' also enabled.

Could this be it perhaps ? Otherwise, I can't think of anything else at this moment.......

6. snap in IE

snap in IE Guest

{guests can't edit their posts} I meant, with your'e not being able to see animated gifs.

7. ~*Nat*~

Hi Miss snap in hiding, lol ;)

I too see the scrolling of sigs...just not gifs that are animated...:doubt:

8. LowWaterMark

Well, yes that could be it... Do they give you any configuration screen to control the popup blocking? (Certainly you must be able to tell it when to allow popups, like at trusted sites, versus blocking them.) Some of the technologies used to block popups are the same filtering we're talking about. Maybe there are detailed configuration options in there, and perhaps it covers more than just popups.

9. ~*Nat*~

I'm not sure...But I have also "Express Accelerator", to be able to surf faster.
    And some options are configuarable in the taskbar. The pop-up blocker is
    enabled with sound, but I never hear or notice a pop up being blocked (!)

I think it is because I have Teatimer and IE-Spyad - and SpywareBlaster installed, it may be that those take care of it already. (??)

P.S. I'm sorry if I popped in here, hopefully not getting off the original topic too much.

10. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Nat, are you not able to see animations on other websites either? Just as a check, can you tell me if you can see the animated gifs moving on this site:
    http://www.animationfactory.com/

11. ~*Nat*~

snap...went there and clicked on a couple of them....they do not move.:(

I want to also mention that of course it's in the Internet Zone and on highest
    security level.

Hmm...I don't know....maybe I should post this problem later on in another thread. Spanners intention on this thread wasn't meant on solving gif probs
    in general, I think. Lol.

Thank's for always trying to help. You know it's much appreciated ! :) :)

12. LowWaterMark

Not to worry. We're going to cut these posts off to a separate thread shortly. ;)

13. ~*Nat*~

Lol, Oki. ;)

Thank's alot !!

Saves Spanners Thread, and I don't have to repeat myself...:D :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  14. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Nat,

LowWaterMark had mentioned that ZoneAlarm can block animations, and since you had said you do use ZA, you could try the steps in the thread below so we can find out if it is ZA stopping the animations:

No Animations in website

I'm sorry I can't walk you through ZA's settings myself, since I use Sygate. But maybe someone that uses ZA can add some more suggestions. :)

Regards,

snap

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As noted in the thread Snap linked to....ZA's Privacy\Ad Blocking section has a setting dealing with Animation that if checked will cause what you mentioned in your first post above...."I see your avatar as only a white box...and another one, when I posted a gif which is animated, is not visible to me."

via ZA's....Privacy\Ad Blocking\Custom button\Ads to Block....uncheck Animation

Attached Files:

16. ~*Nat*~

Hi Bubba & snap,

I only have the free version of ZA. There's no option to do as you can in the PRO- version.
    So, this is out of the question.

I keep thinking what else could cause this.....maybe some download...but I noticed this animation thingy a long while back.
    And I don't remember if by any chance I have done any settings that may cause this.... Hmmmm...

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Perhaps not....according to what version of the Free you have.

Below is a pic from the Zone Alarm FREE online pdf file....that pertains to Zone Alarm FREE version 5.5 and also 5.1, 5.0 and 4.5

Attached Files:

18. ~*Nat*~

Bubba, when I clicked on the link it downloaded to my desktop, but couldn't open it.
    I'd need to dl Adobe Reader.
    Or am I missing something.....?

Oh, and my version is the latest: 5.5.

But really..there's no option to dis - or enable animations, etc...

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As noted above....that pic in post # 17....is from the instructions concerning ZA FREE 5.5.

So you are saying you have looked at the steps contained in the above pic concerning ZA FREE....and you do not have those settings o_O

Do not be confused by the wording of Zone Labs concerning their use of Animated Ads. That is the setting that will also effect Animated gifs(avatars)....in ZA FREE 5.5 and the earlier versions mentioned above.

20. ~*Nat*~

Bubba, what can I tell you. My free version of ZA has no such settings.
    Nothing to disable or enable ads, gifs & Co. :( :doubt:

It's all just basic.

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are absolutely correct Natascha....and even tho the above pdf help file is about ZA FREE 5.5....there is no Privacy section in the ZA FREE 5.5 that I just now downloaded and installed.

My apologies for leading you astray....and hope you do not hold it against me for somewhat doubting you. While I do attempt to provide accurate info only after seeing a problem first hand(installing first)....I erred this time by taking what I thought was valid info from Zone Labs :(

22. ~*Nat*~

Awww bubba, It's quite alright...and I hold nothing against you !!

I know it's hard to believe ZA (free even) has no such features, as it would increase security much more...but yeah.....Free comes just like plain Spam-meat. "Blah" :p

But overlooking this flaw..ZA seems to do a pretty good job otherwise.
    (at least i hope so.....:ninja: )

Did I tell you that I was thankful for You being there for me the last 2 days ? :) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.