re"New Microsoft Antivirus Software (beta)

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Elray, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Hi to all,

Just wondering whether anyone has tried out the new Microsoft Antisoftware program. It is still in beta form but I have seen it mentioned elsewhere and wondered how well it plays with Nod32? It also has real time protection so any opinions from people more experienced than I am would be welcome - especially in regard to Nod32 because I know which I will choose to retain if there is any conflict.

Elray :cool:

2. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I think you are referring to the Microsoft Anti-spyware which has real time protection

As far as we know it doesn't clash with NOD and both work together

The M$ antivirus is a small stand alone cleaner that just removes the 10 most prevalent viruses/worms and has no resident pae=rt at all

3. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. No, the program I am referring to is not the standalone cleaner but a product I believe Microsoft acquired with the takeover of Giant. I will post this link (hope that doesn't break any rules) so you can see what I mean. http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

It is a cleaner similar to Spybot S&D or Adaware apparently. Beta at the moment and free but don't know what the future holds.

Cheers,
    Elray

4. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Actually, on further research it may be the one you were referring to. It definitely has the ability to autoupdate spyware definitions. My apologies for misunderstanding your post.

Elray. :oops:

5. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

There has been a lot of discussion about the MAS product on various boards on this forum so do a search and you will be very enlightened

I have been trialling it and it hasn't caused any problems with NOD at all

6. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

@dvk01 - as you have been trialling it, would you care to share your findings? Is it a worthwile addition to existing programs or a replacement of these ( Ad-aware/Spybot/Spysweeper/Spywareblaster)?

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used the microsoft beta since it was made available and I don't think it can replace the apps you mentioned but it seems to be a good addition to them IMO.

bigc

8. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

No one antispyware is sufficient on it's own

I think it's a worthwhile addition to the list, but let's all reserve full judgement until M$ decide if it is going to be free or whetehr it will be paid for

Now as this is starting to wander off the original topic of does it cause problems with NOD which has been answered so any further discussion about the M A S program please continue in privacy programs

9. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi running MAS along with Nod32 an ZAP have seen no problems so far.

10. Howard

Howard Registered Member

I have noticed here that MSAS beta 1 lists all the NOD32 Protected LSP protocol entries and a single NOD32 LSP Protocol entry as broken. My experience, however, suggests nothing at all is broken. Nevertheless, it is not good to see such negative entries. Has anyone else seen the same: the Winsock LSPs are accessed in MSAS under advanced tools/system explorers/

11. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Almost all applications list NOD as broken LSP entries

That is due to the way that NOD and several other programs DO NOT also add the LSP entry to a separate winsock catalog in the way that is expected

12. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Did anyone try a scan of their machines with MAS....
    I got a frozen MAS screen after MAS went on to Polymorphic Browser Hijacks. 88 megs RAM, 80 megs Virtual Mem. 100% CPU utilized. No other AS/AT on...
    Any clues?
    Also, if you stop the scan midway, NO results are diplayed AT ALL. Nice, yes?

13. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

No 13 I have asked previously not to start discussions about MAS in this thread

If you have a problem with it then privacy software is the place for all discussions on MAS

This thread specifiacally asked were there any known problems with NOD and MAS and that has been answered so I will close this thread before it wanders even further off topic

If the original poster has any more queries or comments about whether NOD & M A S co-exist together then please PM me or any other moderator or report the post and we'll help

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.