Microsoft AntiSpyware 1.0 Beta!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Elliot, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliot

Elliot Registered Member

Try this:

~link to direct download removed and replaced with Overview page~

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

I've just installed it.

Mod Note: Elliot, as far as we know this beta is not available yet, or it has been temorarily withdrawn. Until we hear otherwise, the link has been removed. - snap. Beta is now available on the Microsoft Download Site.

Attached Files:

• snap.PNG
      snap.PNG
      File size:
      60.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2005
  2. Elliot

Elliot Registered Member

This process name was still GIANTAntiSpywareMain.exe!

3. mad_dawgz

mad_dawgz Guest

What theo_Oo_O? Im using giant its the sameo_O Microsoft plz explain?

4. Elliot

Elliot Registered Member

Yeah, of course, M$ bought the Giant company.

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I will just continue as long as I can with the giant product. they will release sp3 mid 2005 and hopefully it is included automatically:)

6. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Be a little bit careful with it as I think it has a couple of false positives I'm checking out at the moment

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Same here, although not as many FPs as I was getting the last time I trialed GIANT.

Last time I trialed GIANT I don't remember these real-time protection settings being available.. are these new or did I just miss them before? The CPU usage will keep me from using that for the time being, however..

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Might as well stick with spybot S&D and ad-aware SE at the moment.

9. dread

dread Registered Member

10. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Looks like a legit link to me... go to the download center and do a search for spyware and that link shows up

This is not a link to the download, it is a link to do the search
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?freetext=spyware&productID=&DisplayLang=en

The download page has the familiar validation message :
    There are some private newsgroups for it as well at communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  11. dread

dread Registered Member

Of couse its legit, I posted it :D I got it from http://neowin.net/ if you care to look at what they are saying.

12. gottadoit

My comment was really directed to snapdragin, who removed the link from the original post (possibly without doing a search on the downloads site...)

For that matter its also the newest entry on the MrTech software list
    http://www.mrtech.com/news/

13. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi gottadoit,
    At the time Elliot posted the direct download link (first post in this thread) I did do a full search of the Microsoft site and the download was not available.

Since this download does require validation, the link dread posted will suffice.

Regards,

snap

14. gottadoit

Strictly speaking it doesn't *require* validation, it prompts for validation and allows you to download without validation if you choose....

Edit:
    Just thought I'd give your search a try as well, to see how badly M$ index their site
    Doing a search from the front page still doesn't bring it up
    Using the advanced search for "all the words: antispyware; category: All Results; site: All of Microsoft.com;" still doesn't bring up the link
    It looks like you need to actually search in the download center

15. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Very good, then there is no need for a direct download link, and the link dread posted will be good enough. ;)

Download centre was searched thoroughly at the time I searched it, which was a li'l over 4 hour's prior to your searching it now.

Just a reminder, since this is still a beta version, please do heed dvk01's warning in Post #6 to be careful with false positives.

Regards,

snap

16. gottadoit

Snap,
    I'm not disagreeing about being careful with false positives, but have a read of this posting from a microsoft employee

Giant don't seem to be making a big distinction between the purchased version and the MSoft Beta version, see here for Giants answer to "How is the GIANT AntiSpyware product that I purchased different from the free beta version that Microsoft will be introducing?"

17. steverio

steverio Registered Member

Installation of Microsoft AntiSpyware 1.0 Beta went smooth on my XP Pro SP2. A full scan detection found remnants of a WeatherBug Adware in the registry. Other than that no false positives and a clean report.

Having already Spybot S&D, Spyware Guard, AdAware SE Personal, Spyware Blaster, MRU-Blaster, RegWatcher, ASE, WG3, PG3, Script Defender, and all the plugin security features of OutPost Pro, I wonder if this MS AntiSpyware program gives anymore protection than I already have?

The "Real Time Protection" system resource usage might be a bit too accumulative considering what apps are already running.

18. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

I still have Giant installed (while waiting for refund), so have disabled everything in giant (including gcaserv.exe from registry startup). I'll install Microsoft beta & see if it runs ok.

19. Elliot

Elliot Registered Member

I have to say Sorry for post at wrong place. :)

20. polyglory

polyglory Registered Member

Refund, bought Giant 5 weeks ago.I'll not hold my breath.

Even if I get my full years worth, its the exit door for the program, now that Gates owns it.

Will select the best program at the time, when re-newal comes due, only way to go with all programs, best one on the day.

21. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I downloaded the microsoft beta and so far it seems fine, but we will wait and see. It can only be used free until a commercial release or july 15th 2005 which ever comes first.

bigc

22. Terryala

Terryala Rest in Peace

Just a side note. People that are starting to use it are running into problems with False Postitives.

I had no problem with the download and install but did have 3 FP's when I did a scan. So I uninstalled it until it is checked out more or it becomes final.

Grand Dad

23. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have run a full scan twice since install and no FP's yet, crossing fingers

bigc

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I tried it this morning with no false positives. Hard to get infected on Wilders. :D
    I don't know what part of the program is beta. It looks like Giant with a few Microsoft options thrown in.

25. Michael V.

Michael V. Guest

Oh boy....

I downloaded and ran the new Microsoft AntiSpyWare....

First I could not get back on the internet.... thank God my ISP helped me repair my config sys... area in DOS.. I would have never been able to do that on my own..

It took a component out of McAfee Privacy Service, and it has not worked since. I keep getting a message to reinstall.... I have, and it still does not work. Seems to be some sort of incompatibility error.

I was getting Spybot S&D errors as well.... those seem to have gone away on their own.

In one part of the program, the system lists the various running processes.... it does not recognize itself... says that itself is "unknown.."... kind of funny.

Looks to be a good program in the future... I just wish I would have waited. I liked the McAfee Privacy Service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.