A Giant Pain!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TopperID, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Giant AS really can be a pain at times! Has any one else been suffering from the latest problem - namely that Giant has suddenly started recognising the following Reg Key as a threat:- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\searchsquire.com

On a scan, Giant will pop up telling you you've got the SearchSquire sidebar (even when you know you haven't!). What it's doing is finding a Key placed there by Spybot S&D as part of it's Immunization feature. If you allow Giant to fix this you will no longer be immunized against the threat and therefore may really get it!!

2. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

I've got it too. Giant quarantined it.

Infected registry keys/values detected
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\searchsquire.com
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\searchsquire.com * 4

What to do?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Weird. I just made sure my Spybot immunize was update, and ran a Giant scan. Found no spyware.

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I didn't have the problem a couple of days ago either, but I downloaded and reinstalled Giant yesterday (in the hope of getting a new version!) and it has been doing it ever since.

The problem is Giant doesn't like to be thwarted, when you try and click 'ignore',after the scan, you keep getting nagged to fix it! but if you quarantine it you just knock it out of SpyBot's protection - until you reimmunize, when the whole cycle starts again!

Sounds like you've got a better version Peter; stick with it 'till the dust settles!

By the way, I did have the same two keys you mentioned Caratacus, though I only referred to one in my first post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.