Gdata AVK vs. eXtendia AVK some info

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dan_maran, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Ok so I decided to go with one of these two for my 3 home computers. I purchased a license for each AV. And found some interesting results.
    **I did not have any virus' on my comp this is simply the install and running**

Buying the software:
    GData $53 US -- transaction was smooth, download for a week.
    eXtendia $27.95 -- not so lucky with this one, almost a whole week to try to buy the secure site was down, I had to email TechSup and try to setup a phone convo. Seeing as the tech support was "somewhere in Europe" as I was told by TechSup (Minus). This was difficult. But we finally got connected.

Installation
    GData -- Smooth sailing
    eXtendia -- Also easy

First run -- After setting up your server logon details.
    GData -- Connects fine, downloads new def's and Software updates. Prompt for a reboot and finished. Uses KAV and BD engines.
    eXtendia -- Also connects ok, BUT only downloads defs for KAV and RAV. NO software updates, so the SP2 SS doesn't see it (Minus). Also RAV's defs are not as updated as BD (Minus).

Screen Shots
    GData:
    [​IMG]

eXtendia:
    [​IMG]

Resources:
    GData -- Heavier client but works with SS
    [​IMG]

eXtendia -- Light but no SS compatability and the test system seemed to lag extremely bad.
    [​IMG]

Updates:
    As mentioned above:

GData:
    [​IMG]

eXtendia:
    [​IMG]

Rough Conclusion
    You get what you pay for, I would recommend GData over eXtendia. But it is a personal prefference, all I can say is that you have to try them both for yourself. Also looks like GData just released AVK 2005 in english.

--Likuidkewl

2. synapse

synapse Registered Member

hrmmm nice test, but i thought that gData was the german version of AVK and extendia was the english version .... :?

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Showing Virtual Memory Usage in Windows Task Manager for each AV would have given a better idea of memory use than 'Mem Usage' ;)

Are your results for the double-scan engine in the RTM of each AV?

I found the double-engined RTM for AVK Pro sapped system performance considerably, even on Pentium IV machines. And I see from your post that support has still not improved for this product.

It would be of interest if you upgrade to the 2005 version of GDATA and then report back if there are many major differences in this new version.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  4. dan_maran

@Synapse - GData has an english version. :)

@BlackCat - Sorry about that I typed it up in about 10 minutes.

Yes they are.

Agreed AVK Pro drains the life from my Athlon XP 2200 and 2500 like it was a 133mhz!

I emailed GData last night about it, but I don't expect to hear back until next week.

Thanks for the input!

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

they have a memory scanner like ewido and it scans for boot sectors, their bootable linux cdrom can now clean ntfs partitions using the extended database of Kaspersky, the updates are quick (every day, sometimes every two days), some program updates are through here, but they don't release history releases, the mem usage is the same. they have a security agent: a little notepad with a clock and the latest news with virii/trojans floating around but I disabled it cause it took 7mb in memory.

and it uses now the extended database. the previous versions werent

I am quite happy with it

6. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Sort of, the companies aren't really connected. I actually think eXtendia must have licensed the old version of AVK from GData, which explains the similarities. eXtendia AVK is a "dead" product now, there won't be any new versions (unless they decide otherwise).

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Bull's eye ;)

regards,

paul

8. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

They're also pretty similar to eScan.

Just becuse an AV uses anothers engine (Kav, Rav, Bitdefender) it doesn't neccessarily make it as good as the original product. Most independent tests confirm this.

If you want something with a KAV engine its better (IMHO) to just buy KAV.

9. dan_maran

I am fairly sure no one is making that claim. I know I was trying to inform the people of this board of my experiences with these two firms.

On another note,
    I emailed GData 5 days ago and still no response from them. Where as eXtendia will get back to you in 12-24 hours.

10. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

the differencies in detection between KAV 4.0, 4.5 , KAV engine as eScan Free 4.6.9, 5.0 and eXtendia AVK 11 (KAV) in detections is pretty much zilch according to independant tests for the majority of users. The diffirence maybe in one or two not being able to recieve x files / extended databases.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  11. Blackcat

This test suggests that KAV and GDATA are very similar in detection rates; http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=693&mode=thread&order=0

The advantage of these double-engined AV’s are the size of their total database. Although there is bound to be considerable overlap, the multiple-engined scanners would, I presume have a greater number of definitions. This is supported by the fact that the GDATA AV can pick up some malware that KAV by itself missed; http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=684

On the other hand, KAV has the extended database, which as SPC points out, may or may not be part of the AVK Pro/GDATA’s definitions. Maybe our resident AV-tester, Firefighter, can give KAV and these multiple-engined scanners a run through his malware collection :D

Thanks to likuidkewl for this thread, keeping us up to-date with these AV's.

12. synapse

synapse Registered Member

for somereason my eScan virus database has like 1000 more points then the last virus def. update by KAV, is there something to this?

13. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

GData emailed me back in less than 12 hours today.
    :D :D

14. dan_maran

Wierd, I have sent 2 emails out one to hotline, and another to the International Sales contact, we are looking at 6 and 2 days respectively. Granted it is the weekend but god forbid something happens on the weekend!

In order to get eXtendia to work and not crash, I took off the RAV engine resident scanning but left it on for the weekly scans. As I stated before you get what you pay for.

--Likuidkewl

15. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I submitted thru the web site in german using the contact form. ;)

16. dan_maran

Guess I am going to either learn German, or have my wife write to them to get tech support. They really need a partner in the US. That is the only gripe I have right now with GData.

17. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

If you look a bit to your right: they have that partner: Extendia... ;) But Extendia needs to use the new version instead of the old one.

18. solarpowered candle

does any one know what the Gdata AVK version of KAV is ?

19. solarpowered candle

I dont have the : Gdata AVK . Only running with extendia kav AVK

20. Blackcat

Check out the first post in this thread; the modified KAV engine in GDATA AVK 2004 is AVK 15.0.1422. I presume this is a modified KAV 4/4.5 engine.

Maybe someone who is testing/using the new 2005 version can post updated details?

21. solarpowered candle

If thats the case there maybe very little diffirence really in extendia Kav and Gdata Kav

22. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi likuidkewl,

One thing that put me of GDATA was the on the pro home edition http://www.antiviruslab.com/e_AVK2004.php?lang=gb it says 'Includes weekly online virus and software updates for one year.
    Immediate emergency updates in the event of acute threats (e.g. Sobig).'

and

'Optional PremiumSupport: daily Internet updates and much more; order form included in package.'

Am I right in saying you don't get the daily updates then unless there is a virus outbreak? Can't see on the website how much the 'premium support is'

Did you find this with your copy or does it do daily updates?

Also if you use the 'virus ambulance' to send samples in does it go to there lab or direct to Bitdefender and KAV?

Cheers

Jlo

23. Blackcat

Yes. Unless things have changed recently, you need to pay extra for the daily updates as part of the 'Premium/Gold Package'.

24. jlo

jlo Registered Member

But if you go for Extendia AV (Just single KAV based engine) do you then get daily updates?

Cheers

Jlo

25. Unity

Unity Registered Member

yes and sometimes even hourly ( for example , today mine is checking update every hour and has been updated at 10 AM - 12 AM - 2 PM - 3 PM , GMT+1 so far ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.