quarantine

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by elapsed, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

win98 latest version of nod32 1.940 etc
    im wondering if theres any way of reporting programs that you think may be a virus to eset for analysis?
    also how in the world do you add files to your quarantine if nod32 doesnt find a virus in them?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The upcoming program component update is going to bring a brand new feature of automatic submission of supicious files. In the meantime, please encrypt any suspicious files with RAR or ZIP, protect the archive with password "infected" and send it to sample@eset.com (or samples@eset.com). The former is dedicated mostly to NewHeur_PE viruses.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thank you!! :)

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

subject to being turned on, or on a case by case basis via click of a button right?

There is a HUGE privacy issue attached to "automatic" submission of these files!

regards

GH-L

5. Marcos

You will see and be able to adjust a list of files ready for upload. Plus you will have an option to exclude directories / files from submitting.

6. elapsed

when does this come out?

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

ok - that's good - but one more thing I would like to see if you can get it into the release, is either a cap on the file-size (ie, do not email file if greater than X kb) or at the very least the file-size in the list of file awaiting approval to be sent. Obviously broadband clients won't care that much, but is I have a winzipped archive of a CD and it's contents at 700Mb, I don't want to email that, regardless of my connection speed!

regards

Greg Hewitt-Long

8. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

Marcos - As AV admin at my company, I'd like the ability to reroute submissions directly to me for investigation instead of them going directly to Eset from the end user. Obviously, I will send them along, but I need to keep records of this sort of thing. Do you know if that will be an option?

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

We'll add it into Future Changes to Nod32.

Cheers :D

10. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hi Marcos,
    Excellent news! :D
    One comments: Please when yours implement such feature, don't implement this feature with SMTP. For example: In some AVs, if you want to use such feature, you need to configure a SMTP server. The problem is that most SMTP servers has AV and that can block the file being send to Eset. NAV has a good feature, you can send samples without configure a SMTP server. I think it uses a Symantec SMTP server or something like that.

11. anotherjack

Wouldn't it be easier to automatically zip it with a default password so that the SMTP gateway couldn't scan it? It could even be set up so that only Eset knew the password, in case it inadvertently got out somewhere...

12. elapsed

um i got no answer

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Eset don't release dates, they work on the product and then release a Beta, and to date they have done so here as well.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

14. elapsed

well what about a rough month? february, march? around there? approximately?

15. anotherjack

PCUs generally come out once or twice a year. Unless there's something wrong with the current version that's going to be fixed in the PCU, I'd just consider it "icing on the cake" when it does come out.

16. Marcos

The PCU's going to be released within 2-3 months, depending on whether some issues will be discovered during the beta testing or not.

17. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

Will we get the beta version to test?

18. elapsed

ok well thanks. let me get this straight though, it samples@eset.com? as i sent one to sample and i have not recieved a reply for 4 days.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

20. Marcos

Hi,
    please drop me a PM with your email address so that I can track down your email. If you are the one who sent us a sample of a 26 MB file infected with the Etap virus, then I'd like to ask you to give our developers more time as this particular virus is not detected by an exact signature, but NOD32 uses a sophisticated algorithm for detection instead.

21. 0pium_Dealer

0pium_Dealer Registered Member

Generally, how long would you expect to wait before NOD get back to you by email?

I just sent a sample to NOD, as I have a file that it keeps flagging up as a possible virus.

I think the file may be a false positive, the file was downloaded from the Final Fantasy XI web site, as an update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.