How good is Trojan Remover

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by webster, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webster

webster Registered Member

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi webster :)
    Well since i have used it i have never had a Trojan so cant really say. However what i can tell you is that it is very fast in scanning and that is it"s main appeal. I would certainly give it a try as it may just be what your looking for?

Regards

3. muf

muf Registered Member

Isn't it designed to 'remove' rather than 'prevent'? I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's great at cleaning a compromised system but it's not got a resident monitor and doesn't prevent the trojans infecting a pc in the first place. Is that correct?

muf

4. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

It is a scanner only with no resident protection. They are getting a nice collection of trojans together and the program and files do update often. I keep it as a backup scanner for my family doctor...DrWeb ;)

5. Johnking

Johnking Registered Member

That website you gave is abit faulty when I went visiting it. Apart of the program, I think something is in there too.

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

You might as well use TDS-3 which has its own Execution Protection feature that can prevent the execution of a trojan. TDS-3 is much more powerful compared to Trojan Remover.
    TDS-3 CAN prevent the execution of trojans in the first place, while other anti-trojan programs can only detect trojans after infection, which is already too late.
    Prevention is always better than cure.

7. claire

claire Guest

Trojan Hunter also prevents the execution of trojans ;)

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

TDS-3 has more trojan signatures compared to Trojan Remover. Trojan remover can also prevent trojans from executing, but it detects less trojans when compared to TDS-3. :rolleyes:

TDS-3: 44061 signatures
    Trojan Remover: 12300 signatures

9. webster

webster Registered Member

Hi,

Thank you for your opinions about Trojan Remover. I have tried it, and i think it is a very good application, but i don´t think i need it. TDS 3 and Processguard has kept the nasties out, so i don´t think i need another trojan application.

Thank you again :) .

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

First of all, direct comparisons between numbers of signatures can be quite mis-leading. Different outfits count signatures in different ways.

Secondly, it can be confusing to say that Trojan Remover can *prevent* trojans from executing. Trojan Remover does on-access scans ONLY. It has no real-time monitor {RTM}. Therefore TR affords adequate protection if & only if it is used to scan every download, email attachment, etc BEFORE they are opened or executed.

Thirdly, the *best* use of TR is to download directly to an "unscanned" directory, and then start TR directly {NOT by right-click}, and tell it to scan that directory. In that manner you completely avoid opening Windows Explorer and triggering any context-handler based exploits.

Bottom line- I have used TR for several years, in the manner described above, & it has done a good job for me.

shaloha..... bellgamin

11. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

So, it is possible to get infected by "right clicking" a application to do a scan? I was not aware that there was exploits that could be used to infect that way. I find that interesting....learn something new everyday.

Starrob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.