Which registry cleaner do you trust most?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by richrf, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

From time to time I have to get some remnants of software out of my registry, such as the time I had to get rid of Norton Systemworks. I tried several cleaners and was very cautious. Some seemed to be very conservative - and therefore found very little, while others seemed to be overly zealous and couldn't use because I was too worried about their recommendations.

What have been your experiences, and which registry cleaner have you found most dependable?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Lots of good free ones out there..and even some built into other apps..but this one seems to serve well,,the button he has to clean the reg always seems to do a very good job..and never has broken an app to my knowledge.

RegSeeker Copyright 2002-2003 Hover Inc.
    Thibaud DJIAN
    Russ SCHWENKLER

RegSeeker website : http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
    Hover Inc. website : http://www.hoverdesk.net

RegSeeker is the perfect companion for your Windows registry !
    RegSeeker includes a powerful registry cleaner and can display various informations like your startup entries, several histories (even index.dat files), installed applications and much more ! With RegSeeker you can search for any item inside your registry, export/delete the results, open them in the registry. RegSeeker also includes a tweaks panel to optimize your OS !

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Regseeker is my personal favorite as well.

4. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:cool: I also use this software, and have found it to be a good program. It is easy to use and understand and thus far for me has done a good job.

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool: :)

5. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Now don't get me wrong,but Regseeker scares me. I ran it and it came up with about 1700 entries. I wasn't about to remove all those even with a backup. Do you all remove what ever it finds?

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I would be reluctant to....
    But I have a friend who swears by it.....lets it fix EVERYTHING!!!
    Runs it every time he gets off the internet....
    This was the fellow that advised him to let it fix everything.. http://www.rayshaw.im.com.au/
    I'm too chicken...
    Buck.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I do and to date I've never had a problem. If you have imaging software I'd make a backup and then hit select all and delete ;) :D After this you shouldn't have a worry :D

Cheers :D

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I trust Ace Optimizer Utilities.
    It costs $29.95 after a trial period whereas RegSeeker is free.

http://www.acelogix.com

9. dog

dog Guest

Without being an Echo ... I too think Regseeker is the best. (it's never made a mistake). It's safe to delete everything it finds ... but make sure the make back-up option is checked ... as a general precaution.

Ccleaner has a reg. function too ... & although it isn't its main purpose it's pretty good too. http://www.ccleaner.com/

And I'll add a warning for Registry Mechanic ... you can't delete everything it finds ... as it will indentify program installers ... which will cause problems. ;) Payware BTW

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2004
  10. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

hmmm....
    what about system mechanic?
    no one tried it? I thought it was worth at least a trial.

11. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Are you pro-RegSeeker fans serious!? I have read before to exercise discretion concerning it's aggresive nature.
    Granted, I do find the list of features useful and impressive for a freeware....

Thanks for the thumbs up guy's....and your nail in the coffin Dog.... ;)
    cause I too have shared surprise on the sheer amount of files! :eek:

GF

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  13. richrf

richrf Registered Member

H all,

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I did go ahead and look at the results of ccleaner and regseeker. Both are different of course. What concerns me is, for example, RegSeeker found far more "ActiveX issues" than CCleaner. Being the cautious soul that I am, does anyone know of a site that explains what each of these "bad entries" so that I can make an informed decision concerning whether I should go ahead and delete or not, e.g.:

1) extension not used
    2) unused "open with" entrty
    3) invalid ActiveX/Com entry
    4) obsolete entry

Some of the others are more obvious such as "file path does not exist".

Thanks for the help.

Rich

14. dog

dog Guest

Those are all OK to clean. ;)

Extension not used
    ... can be re-established ... it's probably from an old program ... that registered an extension, that's no longer in use. If it's ever need again, the app will re-establish this again ... no trouble.

Unused "open with"
    ... you can set these manually with the "open with" function in the context menu ... no trouble to delete.

Invalid ActiveX/Com entry ... a left-over from an old app, or an existing app using a newer control, which didn't delete the old one. Safe too!

Obsolete entry ... Speaks for itself. Totally safe to delete.

Just remember to make backups ... both those proggies do it. CCleaner - you save the reg entry to a folder of your choosing ... Regseeker does it internally ... just make sure the make backup box is checked in the lower left. Just incase ... although mistakes are unlikely with these 2 apps. There both good performers. That way anything can be undone. ;)

Steve

15. dog

dog Guest

Just to add to the above ... once that's all cleaned out. Run them again ... one at a time of course ... they'll find more related/next level issues related to those original ones. Just so you're not surprised. ;)

16. GlobalForce

Thanks for taking the time to update richrf's inquisition (and mine :cool: ) dog.
    Much appreciated. ;) Shocked the first time results were posted.... :eek:

Resting a bit easier thankyou. :cool:

GF

17. dog

dog Guest

My Pleasure. ;)

Steve

18. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I am trying to sort out my Registry. I have run Regseeker and deleted the ActiveX entries but am nervous about deleting entries with...

"File or Path does not exist". It lists some programs that are on my PC such as Power DVD and a LOT of Thrustmapper entries (these are presets for games for use with a Joypad. I dont have the games installed but they come in a library with the Thrustmapper Software) and Easy CD Creator entries and Microsoft Money etc etc and lots of Windows MS Windows files inc Outlook Express

and....

"Invalid App Path" again lists programs I have like Power DVD

and....

"Obsolete Entries" for programs like BigFix and Creative Launcher etc...

Any advice please ?

19. bigbuck

Well I finally got up the nerve to have a go with regseeker........did ghost an image to external HDD first!!......Then let regseeker find 600 odd things and fix them.....haven't had any problems yet!! Touch wood!
    Buck.

20. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

In the past I've always used CCleaner and RegCleaner 4.3, without trouble, but the latter is no longer supported and is a bit old; so I've been looking for a free alternative. I was put off RegSeeker because it says 'Beta' on the web page!!! Another possibility is EasyCleaner:- http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

Anyone know anything about this?

21. bigbuck

Nope...........Got it.........never been game to let it fix the reg.
    But since I've run Regseeker (removed 600)...Easycleaner only found 20....
    Used some of its other functions though.......used to be free too......don't think it is any more. UI looks like this;

Attached Files:

22. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

No probs with RegSeeker here, it's stern but fair. CCleaner doesn't recognise the file extension for Kerio configuration files (on my PC at any rate), and tries to delete the registry entry - a serious drawback.

23. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

First, thanks everyone for all of your help and recommendations. The Regseeker recommendation from Primrose, ronjor, and wildman, and the further explanations from dog were extremely helpful. My initial reaction to Regseeker is very positive.

I do have an image copy/restore (which I hope works if I ever need it I need it), so I went ahead and deleted all of the entries that Regseeker recommended - after analyzing them based upon the discussions in this thread. As dog recommended, I ran Regseeker several times in succession (each time taking a backup of the registry in case I needed to reverse the process), and each time, further entries were deleted. At the end of this process, I ran ccleanner (just for the heck of it), took a backup of the registry, and cleaned a few more bits of debris. I am amazed at how much junk different software products leave behind. It is really like having filthy guests over for dinner. :p

Anyway, I have rebooted and used several of my more important programs and everything seems to be in good shape. I wish I had asked this question earlier when I was busy trying to recover from a wreckage left by Norton Systemworks.

Thanks everyone. I will let you know if any problems develop (I will continue to do judicious cleaning after each uninstall of software), but so far everything looks very good. :) Who says free support isn't the best?! :)

Rich

24. GlobalForce

Nice to see feedback richrf and bigbuck. From some time here on the boards I feel confident Blackspear, dog, Primrose,
    and ronjor have the experience and good judgement to issue such recommendations. Thanks for the confirmation. ;)
    Thanks also to everyone else who posted. :cool:

@ TopperID - Don't be too put-off by the "beta" label....
    there are many "finals" out there that are prone to errors and don't provide results.

@ richrf - Agreed. Fine analogy....... :D
    GF

25. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have a question. A lot of people say that with XP the benefit is not worth the risk of heavy duty cleaning the registry. Reseeker seems to be heavy duty. What is the truth?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.