remote administration setup

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by shua, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shua

shua Registered Member

I have recently installed the RAconsole and RAdmin software with my entrprise license. however i am having extreme difficulty configuring the whole thing. I have made a config file and package and can push installs onto some computers on the network but not on others.
    The client workstations all have NOD32 pre-installed on them. Some are appearing in the client list however they will not update off the server (probably due to the fact that in the Radmin console the server is not showing as being up to date, even though in th NOD control centre it is.) There appears to be no way to tell the server that i am connected to in the RAdmin console to update its details.
    The clients that are showing up in the client list are not showing up in the list of clients to push installations on.
    When i do push an install sucessfully onto a client however they are not then moving into the client list to be managed.

There must be something that i am either not doing at all or doing wrong.
    Can someone shed some light on this for me.

I have read the manual and whitepaper, they don't give much help at all.

Any and all help is appreciated.

- shua

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Shua, welcome to Wilders, someone should be along shortly to help you out. There are some very knowledgeable users amongst us with the RA side of Nod32. I am shortly about to take the same leap as you along this path...

Cheers :D

3. arrowsmithmidwest

arrowsmithmidwest Registered Member

haha

i have installed it, had a look at it, and said, i don't have time for this at the moment, and i havn't got back to it, so when i do i guess i will be in the same shoes as you, i need to learn how to do it soon anyway as i will need to do client setups with RA soon i would say.

4. shua

shua Registered Member

well, i am glad to see that ther are some others in the same boat!
    I have been trying to get it working now for 3 days...but to no avail

5. Blackspear

I have also just sent an email to Eset, and hope to have a reply shortly.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Would you please check if the machines that do not appear in the client list are actually set to connect to the RA server? Doesn't the number of clients connecting to the RA server exceed the number of clients supported by your RA key?

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

do you have a domain controller or just a regular workgroup?

Perhaps blackspear/others can provide input here - we struggled until we put in a domain controller in our own office - although I never referred to the RA manual :rolleyes: , but perhaps a domain is required - we never worked out how to get the thing working with just a workgroup....

8. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

I guess I'll take a crack at this one.

I'm guessing an incorrect XML file or a close-but-not-quite client configuration. A couple of other things that you need to check:

1. Can the non-updating machines ping your NOD server by name? If not, you may need a HOSTS file entry on your clients, or use the IP address of your update server when checking the Remote Administration setup on your clients.

2. Are the update server(s) (shown when you click "Update" on the client's Control Center) set to "Choose automatically?" If so, they'll never update from your server - they're still pointing to Eset. You'll need to add a server entry in your XML file that has your internal server defined.

3. The clients that already have NOD32 installed will not show up in the "Push" list, since they don't need to have NOD pushed to them. Only machine that don't have the NOD service running on them should show up.

4. The RA Console definitely does NOT need a domain controller to work.

The RA console system (while a bit quirky at times) works very well. I manage 2500+ clients at 17 sites with downstream NOD servers with mine. Each site has their own XML file, and I can push changes down to individual machines, entire sites or my entire company all at once if I need to. It's nice.

I can get fancy and show screenshots if I can figure out how to embed multiple images in a single post... :p

9. Blackspear

Many thanks AJ, I was hoping one of you heavyweights would throw your input into the ring, greatly appreciated :D

10. shua

shua Registered Member

The RAS server is installed on the terminal server on the domain in this case.
    All of the clients already had NOD installe don them before we installed the RAS server. so then why do some show up in the client list and others show up in the list to have installs pushed on them?? And once the push is made and a reboot is done, they still do not show up in the client list.

I would have thought that the config file took care of changing the update server from http://servername to "Choose Atomatically"

When performing th push onto a client it will only succeed once i log onto the machine and say ok to the dialogue box that says "no email client is configured"
    until this point it sits at 50% then finishes once i say OK.
    The machine then moves into the successful install list but says a reboot is required.
    I manually have to reboot the machine but even then it doesn't move to the client list, and the status doesn't change in the successful installs list.

All of the machines both in the client list and Push list can ping the terminal server (RAS server) however i am using the ip address in the config files anyway.
    The problem is not that they can't communicate as i can rmeotely do scan of the machines. the problem is that they will not update, and even though the server is updating, it does not report as being up to date in the server list.

I hope this answers your questions.
    Screenshots are always welcome :)

11. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

Hi Shua,

Under NOD32 System Setup -> Remote Adminsitration make sure you have it poing the RA server and the time you want it to connect. Now if you are using the config editor
    it's under the General Tab -> Remote Administration.

Also the Successful installs list won't update the PC's will show up in the clients tab for the status on all the pcs. By doing step on1 will accomplish this.

Hope this helps.

12. anotherjack

The clients won't show up in the RA console until they have actually communicated with the server on their normal schedule (see NOD32 System Tools / NOD32 System Setup / Remote Administration / Interval between connecting to server), so they won't immediately show up. They usually trickle in over the next hour or so. Also, IIRC, the only machines that will show up in the "You can push to these" list are ones that are both running the NT Server service and don't have NOD already installed.

Actually, it should change it from "Choose automatically" to http://yourservername:8081. Anything else and they won't update (unless your server isn't at the default of 8081)

1. You may want to try NOT configuring the email notifications in your XML/Push file and see if that works. Once you get everyone installed, you can play with the notification settings from the console.
    2. You can add the /REBOOT option to your push install package to at least get rid of that part - we use /SILENTMODE /INSTMFC /REBOOT

OK, so it sounds as if the communication part is working properly. I think that the issue is going to be what I mentioned about the http://yourservername:8081 setting in the servers section of the Update screen. If it's set to "Choose Automatically," it's going to try to go to the Eset servers. You can also change it in the XML file that you send to the end user PCs to change their configuration (see below).

And I hope I was able to answer some of yours... ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  13. anotherjack

(I still haven't figured out to post multiple images in an entry...)

Here's the other part of the XML file that you need to check...

Attached Files:

• Test.gif
      Test.gif
      File size:
      51.9 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.