protection will not enable

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by tetonbob, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tetonbob

tetonbob Spyware Fighter

I'm using v3.2. I just updated to the 11/23 definitions, and when I went to enable all protection as usual, eight items in IE refuse to have their protection enabled. I've tried enabling all protection from the main Protection page, also went to the IE tab on the same page and tried checking the items in question, which are listed in RED, and then clicking on Protect Against Checked Items. The process seems to complete, but I remain unprotected against these same eight items:

Search-system.com Hijacker
    Virtumonde Adware
    TX4 Adware
    KeenValue PowerSearch Variant
    Topconverting Adware
    EliteBar / Search Miracle
    Hellas Minutes Dialer
    FairTale Dialer

I recently added IE Spyad. I use Spybot S&D 1.3.1 TX as well as AdawareSE. This is the first time I've ever encountered this, and I've used SWB for 6 months.

Many thanks for your efforts.

2. peebs

peebs Registered Member

I've got the same problem (same SWB version and update), except more extreme. I've got 1268 IE Active-X protections that won't enable.

I've even uninstalled and reinstalled SWB.

If you hear of a correction/workaround, please let me know.

Thanks,

3. tetonbob

tetonbob Spyware Fighter

Bump

Anyone?

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

5. tetonbob

tetonbob Spyware Fighter

Thanks for the reply, Snowbound.

I've tried reenabling the protection for the items in question with no success. I also tried TheQuest's suggested course of action with no success. The same items show in SpywareBlaster as protection disabled.

Do I understand that these are redundant entries, and I should just ignore it, or is there something further I should try to get the protection enabled for these items in SWB?

6. snowbound

The problem could be as FanJ described, with IE SpyAd in that link i posted.

snowbound

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Correct me if I'm wrong Bob....but those entries are all associated with SpywareBlasters(SB) Internet Explorer protection(ActiveX clsids) and none appear to be listed in SB's Cookie or Restricted Sites protection....which should eliminate IE-Spyad.

Also....since the SB's ActiveX entries are written to the Local_Machine registry key....is this happening while as a Limited user or Admin user....assuming your OS is of the NT family ?

8. AL Inferno

AL Inferno Registered Member

I had the same prob, I did not understand that under Domains all that crap was actually there to protect the puter from that spyware and whatever. I kept deleting and it kept recurring. Once in a while it comes up but I inow what it is so I just do nothing or I click ignore on whichever spyware scanner I am using at that time (i have 5) and I use the freeware versions. thank you, AL Inferno

9. tetonbob

tetonbob Spyware Fighter

Hi Bubba-

All the entries are ActiveX associated with IE, which I don't use often at all. I use Firefox. This occurs as a limited user, which is the acount I use when browsing. I'll check to see if it occurs as Admin.

WindowsXP Pro is my OS.

Snowbound, maybe I'm being a little thick here - I read the suggested post, and read through Howes' file, before I installed IE Spyad and again since the trouble. I don't see a resolution offered other than re-enabling the protections affected, which I have tried with no success.

Thanks to all for your replies.

10. snowbound

It was my error. I see now and as Bubba said if it is ActiveX entries, IE SpyAd would be ruled out.

snowbound

11. tetonbob

tetonbob Spyware Fighter

OK, I got it sorted out. What I did was uninstall IE Spyad, update SB through my admin account, apply all protection, reinstall IE Spyad. All is well. Not sure why it didn't work the first time I tried, but there you have it. Computers. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your assistance. All who offer free help (not to mention free apps) to end users are saints in my book. :D :cool:

Are SB's updates applied globally, or to the local user only? Does this depend on which account the updating is done through? Thanks for helping One Who Wants to Learn.

Bob

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Internet Explorer protection(ActiveX and Cookie)....apply protection globally(Local_Machine)....IF the user has Admin rights. The Restricted Sites protection applies protection for the Current_User....meaning each user needs to sign into their respective accounts to apply the Restricted Sites protection.

Also....since you were speaking about the ActiveX protection....whether you had re-installed IE-Spyad or not should not have made a difference. The succesful results should have been because you were able to apply the ActiveX protection....which is global(Local_Machine)....while signed on with Admin rights.

13. tetonbob

tetonbob Spyware Fighter

Thanks, Bubba. That makes sense. I live and learn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.