Latest AV-comparatives.org test results ( was latest test resultsfor Nod32)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Edwin024, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

www.av-comparatives.org have just released their latest retrospective/proactive test and NOD32 comes out as the Number One. Congratulations to Eset!

2. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

Re: Latest test results for Nod32

49%... best result.. but is that really good? :doubt:

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

100% of In The Wild is damn good in my opinion, nearest competitor was a mere 25%

Cheers :D

4. Edwin024

I totally agree!

And I think it is not so often that KAV is beaten in honest tests ;)

By the way: the NOD32 version that was tested was older than the one we have now. So I guess that tested with the lastest version the rates would have been evebn higher, because Eset has added quite a few nasties in the latest signature-versions.

5. Blackspear

Yes it will be interesting to see the next set of tests, this should use the latest version 2.12.3 and would also use the latest improvenment with Heuristics for Trojans, added last week.

6. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

ITW stands for 'In the wild'.

I am not sure if I understand excatly what that means.. Are that 'unknown' viruses ?

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

And look how much ESET has improved now for zoo Trojan detection, I'm impressed :)

8. Blackspear

ITW indeed stands for In the Wild, it is determinded according to standards found here: http://www.wildlist.org/wild_desc.htm

So am I :D

9. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

The problem, with retrospective tests is in the interpretation

On the face of it NOD did much better than the others BUT when you read the small print you see that the test was done with "new" viruses that were not around when the original tests were done and they use the viral databases fromm the date several months previously

NOD has very good heuristics so I assume that it was the heuristics that detected the new viruses and I'm very pleased that NOD can do this whereas KAV & other rely on signatures and NO antivirus can possibly detect by signature of a virus that didn't even exist when the original database was issued

I am not knocking Nod's acheivement in this but the test results need careful looking at and a fairer comparison is the standard tests on that site not the retrospective ones

If the tests were done with "todays" databases and it was a retest to see what was improved in the AV's since the original test then I would be over the moon with NOD's results as it is I take them with a pinch of salt as they have little or no relevance to the real world and the protection of your computer

I think this needs moving to other antiviruses rather than the NOD forum as it will no doubt result in a discussion of all antiviruses rather than a NOD support issue so I will move it accordingly

10. Edwin024

Ate a lemon or two before writing this "oh so not biased piece"?

And I wrote this for the NOD32 Forum because it is the latest result of NOD32 that i was pointing too. Strange that any mod can do this...

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Edwin024,

I agree, an exceptional test result by NOD32 and a couple others.

But remember this is the retrospective test that, by design, uses signatures/program updates that date from the start of the retrospective period, which should be August (can only access the online results - getting a decrypt error for the pdf files).

So, using an August update, malware samples collected between August and October (for ITW) and November (for zoo) were scanned. The test is basically saying that NOD32 correctly flagged 49% of the samples presented to it in this test - all of which were unknown to NOD32 at the time the update used was created.

This is a basic test of ability to handle day zero situations - new malware. Improvements seen in a newer test of this type would reflect improvements in the heuristic analysis.

The complete view of an AV really comes by looking at both the retrospective and demand style tests published by av-comparatives.org/. They quantify different aspects of AV performance. For all of us, both traits are important. NOD32 is a very solid performer on both counts

Blue

12. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

From previous experience any comparastive test is not suitable for a support forum because 9 times out of 10 it denegerates into a slanging match saying oh but XXX missed this one and so on

I use NOD and am very happy with it and am pleased taht if those malwares were around in the previous months then NOD would have detected and protected me but on this forum we have a reputation for straight talking and pointing out the facts in an unbiased and fair manner

It is unfair to anybody just looking at the results and by having a quick glance saying Oh NOD is perfect and found 100% but the others didn't

When you have pointed out that it is a retropective test and pointed out what that implies then the viewer is able to compare more fairly and your commments in post #4 suggest that you had mis-interpreted the results as anybody having a casual look at them could do that is why I felt I had to point out the way that a retrospective/proactive test works and am sorry if you feel offended by pointing out the truth

13. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

To make it very clear the test used an antivirus database dated 8th JUNE 2004 to detect malware that was FIRST discovered between 6th August and 6th November 2004

Once that part is pointed out yes NOD did very well but it doesn't mean that the others failed the test just that they didn't recognize malware that didn't exist at the time

NOD's advanced Heuristics are to be congratulated on this as IF the malware had been around then NOD users would have been protected

14. Blackspear

Dvk01, I know exactly what you are saying, but at the end of the day if Nod32 wins by the use of Heuristics or a fly swatter, it is just getting the job done, and in doing so, it's that little bit better. The others I think will eventually have to follow suit, or find a way like Process Guard does with preventing dll injections of Trojans...

15. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I am extremely happy with NOD and use it on one of my computers, I have KAV on the other and they are networked so both can scan each other and cross check

NOD is absolutely brilliant on the Heuristic front whereas KAV is better on getting out detections for new malware very quickly

I rarely see NOD making any errors in Heuristic detection, but it can and does happen, so to rely solely on heuristics to keep ahead of the rest is dangerous

Unfortunately many of the new malwares cannot be detected heuristically as they are so similar to genuine legitimate applications that if any AV set the heuristic detection to grab them all we would be unable to use our computers at all.

What all the AV's need is an unknown process block like PG has so nothing new is allowed to run without the user allowing it

That would stop all new baddies, however that has it's own problems and we all know the user who just blindly allows everything or turns off that part to stop the "annoying" warnings and complains that his firewall/antivirus let the virus through

16. Edwin024

Use NOD32 with a good AT program and it is probably the very best around. I have NOD32 with Giant anti-spyware, Ewido and Ad-Aware. Still no slow down of the system.

Which was different by the way when i used this quartet with TDS-3 instead of Ewido.

17. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Uff, no not 8 June! 6/8/2004 is english date format! all 8.August of course ;-)

18. Blackspear

LOL finely a website that uses the true format ;) :D Ohhhh I'm liking it even more :D

:D :D :D

19. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

No, ItW is just the opposite of unknown viruses, they are all collected to one report made each month and they are spreading (mostly in corporate environment!).

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

20. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

My apologies but on the online results page it gives an antivirus database date as varying between 02.05.2004 to 02.06.04 and in the pdf it states 6th August

So I accept the 6th August

21. Blackspear

Did you read the right test?

* = new ITW-samples appeared during the 6. August and the 6. October

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2004_11.php

22. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Av-Comparatives used the same scanning engines in BitDefender, DrWeb, McAfee, and NOD also in their 05-2004 test, so how can some product make improvents in heuristics tests or were the samples just now more or less different in their character?

PS. BitDefender and NOD raised up the scores when DrWeb and McAfee dropped down after the 05-2004 test. KAV had a new engine. Summary, the both tests of Av-Comparatives, 05 and 11-2004 are both right in their own way concerning these products mentioned above, just the rankings varies as everything in real life.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  23. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

yep http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2004_11.php

Version of engine / signature 6.26.0.10 0432-2 N/A 4.30.0 3.15.1 7.100 (951) N/A 4.3.20 / 4383 1.835 60804ah N/A 8.11 2.20
    Date of signature 08/06/2004 08/04/2004 08/06/2004 08/06/2004 08/06/2004 08/04/2004 08/06/2004 08/04/2004 08/06/2004 08/04/2004 08/06/2004 08/05/2004 08/06/2004

It just gets confusing for us poor Europeans when we are confronted by the American way of expressing dates

Everywhere else in the world puts the day before the month except the Americans and it is extremely confusing
    That is why I always write the date in words now when dealing with international forums

24. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Yeah, initially it was confusing also for me ;-). I had to change it to this style because most AV companies said that the month/day/year is the standard format. Now the problem are the users that bombards me with mails telling me about why all AV have different signature dates :p, but after some time they understand it like all the others.

25. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

Can I ask a stupid question? If NOD32 did well with just using heuristics, why didn't it do as well in the previous test, August 2004, where I assume heuristical and signature based techniques were employed? Were heuristics turned off during those tests? Please, don't get me wrong, I think NOD32 is a fantastic AV! ;)

OT: BTW, I agree that the most logical way of stating the date is day-month-year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.