Extendia AVK V Gdata AVK

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jlo, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

I know extendia AV used to use KAV and RAV engine. Do they still use the RAV engine or have they moved over to the Bitdefender Engine like Gdata AVK?

Also are the 2 products (Extendia and Gdata) products exactly the same?

Also does the 'AVK ambulance' which submit suspicous samples send to Gdata labs or direct to KAV and Bitdefender? Just wondered?

Cheers

Jlo

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

GData AVK uses KAV and Bitdefender.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  3. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Extendia still usese KAV/RAV too. I own both and I can honestly say G Data's AntiVirenKit 2004 Pro is a much better application. It runs on my pc with much less foot print than extendia does. Hope that helps.

Eliot :D

4. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi Eliot,

Yes that is a big help. Many Thanks.

Kind Regards

Jlo

5. Access Denied

Your most welcome. :D

6. gerardwil

How long from now do you get support and updates for Gdata AVK pro (2004)?

7. Access Denied

About 359 days. ;)

8. gerardwil

I have that program licensed for about a year now. Its not in the shop anymore since half a year. This one is:

AntiVirenKit 2005 professional

9. Access Denied

Is that an english version? I could not find one at the time of purchase.

10. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

I have noticed that the RAV engine used in Extendia used to be very good and quick updates but if you look at http://www.ravantivirus.com/pages/dldupdate.php?type=Daily there has not been an update since 19th November (Sober hit)

I wonder whether they are reducing there resources to the av side of there buisness since the partnership of microsoft?

Who knows.

I am running a demo of Dr Web which I think I will buy but may give the Gdata version a spin as well.

Cheers

Jlo

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I have downloaded the FULL.zip from RAV to have a look inside at the daily update:

I emailed eXtendia techsupport this morning about their lack of an updated RAV signature file. So I will more than likely hear back from them in a few days.

Attached Files:

12. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I emailed eXtendia techsupport this morning about their lack of an updated RAV signature file. So I will more than likely hear back from them in a few days.

Again, this is a question I have emailed eXtendia about 10 days ago, still no reply.
    Guess they don't like me and to think........ I bought 2 (AKK & AVk Pro)registrations. LOL

13. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Iuse the online Rav scan as a compliment to my extendia kav . The last update was on december 14th

14. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

I understand that the Extendia AV single scan engine contains the KAV engine! Only cost £10 to download it.

Any users of the single version out there? I just wondered how resource hungry it was.

I have read a few comments that the Gdata version is better and quicker (Later version of program) but if the single KAV engine version of Extendia is light I think that will do me fine?

Any coments?

Thanks

Jlo

15. solarpowered candle

I use the extendia single kav engine . However from comments here I seem to be about the only one who has no slow down issues with it. I do not have any other anti virus on my system what so ever . nor do i run an anti trojan real time scanner ( only on demand) This may be why I have no slow down issues . I have xp and 256 ram . I do not over indulge with lots of security applications .
    I also run a registry cleaner and defrag before and after any installs . I reinstalled windows and loaded up my security apps on a clean system. Perhaps that may be the reason . Or maybe its just a lucky download lol.
    One benefit with the extendia Kavis the almost hourly virus updates . however the Gdata engine is a newer version . I really dont have any concerns about that as according to firefighter the extendia kav is the same engine as the e scan free which does very well. The hassle here is that if you buy it and it does slow down your system you may or may not be able to get a refund .

16. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Thanks Solarpowered Candle.

At that price I feel its almost worth a try and good to here you had no slowdown. It will be going on XP, Pentium 4, 512 ram 3000 so computer should be fast enough.

Cheers

Jlo

17. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi Solarpowered Candle,

Could I ask do you get e mail notification that the mail has been scanned when scanning e mail?

Cheers

Jlo

18. Access Denied

Anyone know how to configure GData's AVK 2004 with Mozilla Thunderbird and GMail?

19. solarpowered candle

Yes when email arrives in your email client ie outlook express along the task bar a box will appear while extendia scans any incoming . Also if any mail arrives that has a virus it will have "virus" in front of the line . To check open up the control panel >start > extendia > To check the mail settings you can double click on "options" > "email" > and there should be a tick in "activate virus protection" also a "yes" in email programme under "virus protection" The box under that will be greyed out that says "install virus protection".
    If its not working when you try and download your emails then you need (as I did) to activate it manually. Use the manual configuration tab to do this . Press the help ( if need be ) and add the new configuration to your email programme . If thats outlook express ..open it > tools > accounts> highlite your account name> properties> servers>
    incoming mail [POP3]: 127.0.0.1
    account name pop3. your email addy:your user name

good luck

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  20. rainlee14

rainlee14 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.