Kazza, Declared Spyware..

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Newkid, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newkid

Newkid Spyware Fighter

Few minute back, I came to know from one of mine community frnd that our labour not go vain about the Kazza. Now, it got stamp from Computer Associates. According to their recently published magzin, CA declared P2P program Kazaa is the No. 1 spyware threat on the Internet.

According to them, kazza posed a greater threat than other programs in its top five spyware list because of its widespread popularity. Kazaa claims that its software has been downloaded 214 million times.

CA gave Kazaa a high "clot factor," its measure of how much a program slows a machine by adding unnecessary registry entries and directories. However, classifying a popular application like Kazaa as spyware is a delicate matter, and CA admits this creates difficulties in attaching labels.

The company said that any other peer-to-peer file exchange programs, such as Blubster, Gnucleus and WinMX, could also degrade network performance and consume storage space because they are bundled with adware or spyware.

Adware program Ezula came second in the company's top five, beating Adopt.hotbar.com and GameSpy Arcade.

2. BlueDaemon

BlueDaemon Registered Member

why do u think kazaa bogs down your system so much?

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Wooooo yeahhh.... that's how spyware spreads so fast like wildfire. I really think it's time some people put an end to kazaa and its company sharman networks. I just can't imagine how terrible the spyware situation is.

4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

So why not use Kazza Lite?

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Humm...because it's illegal software.

6. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

:eek: :eek: Learn something new every day. :)

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hows kazaa lite illegal software.

Please someone explain

8. snapdragin

Hi Anthony1uk,

To keep it in simple terms as to not go off topic in this thread, Kazaa Lite is a hacked version of Kazaa in that the ad code in the legally developed software (Kazaa) has been hacked out.

Regards,

snap

9. synapse

synapse Registered Member

maybe, or maybe, some of the makers, or people who have connections used the source to kazaa and 'tweaked/enhanced' it :eek:

10. Newkid

Newkid Spyware Fighter

Hi there !

Above all, Thanks Snap for taking lead in the thread. You know these days am very much busy at my end. :)
    FYI, The interface provided by Kazaa affords simple sharing and file download features but we find that it’s sharing interface is problematic. The design makes too many assumptions about the users knowledge of file sharing. By providing several different locations and interfaces to manage file sharing and not connecting their information, users are not made aware of what files are being offered for others to download and are not able to determine how to successfully share and stop sharing files.

Ambiguity and assumptions about recursion and types of files being shared allow users to make dangerous errors, such as sharing an entire hard drive. Finally, the confusing multiple purposes of the 'My Media interface' cause users some confusion about what is actually being shared. Given the potential violation of user privacy and the current abuses that we noted, it should be a top priority for file sharing applications to look into usability for security applications, and design their applications accordingly.

Beside this, It can degrade network performance and consume vast amounts of storage, create security issues as outsiders are granted access to internal files and come with bundles of Adware or Spyware.

With Thanks!
    Newkid

11. snapdragin

Yes I do, and it is always great to see you here with us, Newkid! :D

Best wishes,

snap

12. mccarob

mccarob Registered Member

Because it is attempting to keep a constant connection to your network to download the files you have queued up, and also allowing people to search though your files.

Not only that, but when installing, they also install other programs to help make Kazaa run better (KBlaster, KNodes, ect) and let people download faster (don't know if its true or not). So instead of the 30 running processes on boot (typically user running Windows XP Home), your now at 45ish including all the spyware. Not only that, the chances of you getting a virus has sky rocketed.

I don't even see the point of P2P networks like Kazaa, K-Lite, WinMX, eMule ... just for the simple fact that the RIAA has their own servers/systems hosting copyrighted music. So people end up wasting their time downloading these songs to just end up with a song that is either in a 30second loop, or has spliced in static or other sounds. Unless they are still trying to download other types program/videos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.