Turkey Day Is Coming!!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by hayc59, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Hope You All Have A Great Day!!
    And Pig Out!!

Attached Files:

2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Just remember the Golden Rule......"Kill it before you stuff it"....and you won't go far wrong.... :D

Cochise, :cool: (Super Stuffer).

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

To all u Pilgrims down there,

have a a wonderful thanksgiving! :cool:

snowbound

4. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

have a wonderful thanksgiving, all my friends here at wilders

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Always good advice Cochise!!! :D

Attached Files:

6. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Agreed. :D

Attached Files:

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Here is a little story I found-not really a thanksgiving story but it reminds me to be thankful for everything here at thanksgiving:

I walked into the grocery store not particularly interested in buying groceries. I wasn't hungry. The pain of losing my husband of 7 years was still too raw. And this grocery store held so many sweet memories.

He often came with me and almost every time he'd pretend to go off and look for something special. I knew what he was up to. I'd always spot him walking down the aisle with the three yellow roses in his hands.

He knew I loved yellow roses. With a heart filled with grief, I only wanted to buy my few items and leave, but even grocery shopping was different since he had passed on.

Shopping for one took time, a little more thought than it had for two. Standing by the meat, I searched for the perfect small steak and remembered how he had loved his steak.

Suddenly a woman came beside me. She was blonde, slim and lovely in a soft green pantsuit. I watched as she picked up a large package of T-bones, dropped them in her basket.. hesitated, and then put them back. She turned to go and once again reached for the pack of steaks.

She saw me watching her and she smiled. "My husband loves T-bones, but honestly, at these prices, I don't know."

I swallowed the emotion down my throat and met her pale blue eyes. "My husband passed away eight days ago," I told her. Glancing at the package in her hands, I fought to control the tremble in my voice. "Buy him the steaks". And cherish every moment you have together."

She shook her head and I saw the emotion in her eyes as she placed the package in her basket and wheeled away.

I turned and pushed my cart across the length of the store to the dairy products. There I stood, trying to decide which size milk I should buy. A Quart, I finally decided and moved on to the ice cream. If nothing else, I could always fix myself an ice cream cone.

I placed the ice cream in my cart and looked down the aisle toward the front. I saw first the green suit, then recognized the pretty lady coming towards me. In her arms she carried a package. On her face was the brightest smile I had ever seen. I would swear a soft halo encircled her blonde hair as she kept walking toward me, her eyes holding line.

As she came closer, I saw what she held and tears began misting in my eyes. "These are for you," she said and placed three beautiful long stemmed yellow roses in my arms. "When you go through the line, they will know these are paid for." She leaned over and placed a gentle kiss on my cheek, then smiled again. I wanted to tell her what she'd done, what the roses meant, but still unable to speak, I watched as she walked away as tears clouded my vision.

I looked down at the beautiful roses nestled in the green tissue wrapping and found it almost unreal. How did she know? Suddenly the answer seemed so clear. I wasn't alone.

Oh, you haven't forgotten me, have you? I whispered, with tears in my eyes. He was still with me, and she was his angel.

Every day be thankful for what you have and who you are.

8. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

To all my U.S. friends here - HAPPY THANKSGIVING ..

Attached Files:

9. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Ritaann,

That was a wonderful story!! :'( (Could you pass the kleenex?)

I like the phrase that some charities are using, "Thanks and Giving Day'!! It makes alot of sense, I seem to remember from school, that the dinner was to thank the Indians for giving the Pilgrims the food on their tables.

Being new to this world, alot of them got sick or were starving to death! They were put here without even the most basic knowledge of their new country. Because, they did not know how or what to grow here, and in which seasons, the crops they were used to growing in their homeland, failed. They knew domesticated animals, but, didn't know the new animals around them, nor the best way to hunt and preserve them. They, supposedly tried to domesticate a few un-domesticated species! They were in danger of just surviving the winter, let alone living past it!!

So, the dinner was to thank the Indians for their very lives.

That's the story I learned, I never forgot it either.

(I think it was the turkey, because it was so dumb, anyone could catch them!:D)

Marja:cool:

HAPPY THANKS AND GIVING DAY TO ALL!! :)

10. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Marja
    I think that is a good way to remember Thanks and Giving day :) I bet the turkey they had wasnt so dumb :D did you know the wild turkey is a smart bird .hunters have a hard time getting them so I bet the pilgrims had to work hard for their dinner.I wish you and your family a great thanksgiving :)

11. Galcoolest

Galcoolest Registered Member

I happened to catch a whole documentary on Thanksgiviing on the History Channel recently and learned a couple of things about it.

Before 1864 (I think that's right, but one of the Lincoln War years) all the States had their own dates and traditions around T-Day. Some States even had it in like March. The New England States generally celebrated it in October or November, and in much the way we know it today, with a turkey, etc. But other States out west for instance went with local game, like buffalo or deer or what they could secure.

And it turns out that the Southern States did not celebrate it at all , viewing it as a Yankee thing- and not at all to their liking, for those Northern traditions were so vile.

So, it turns out that in the late 1850's, this one lady, a Mrs. Hale who got widowed young and has to figure out a way to support her young kids, starts a magazine (and I'm too lazy to google the name, sorry) that becomes the bible of American (at least non-Dixie) women, which was like a Good Housekeeping-cum-Wall Street Journal for gals. It was the big deal source of everything for women.

Mrs. Hale was an abolitionist and intellect and all-round social phenom, kind of an Oprah of her day, and she starts a big campaign to make Thanksgiving a national holiday, and have it be the 3rd Thursday iin November. Apparently she harps on this incessantly, month after month, year after year, until Lincoln by Executive Order establishes that holiday as she suggested, due mainly to her lobbying pressures which included multi-thousands of her readers' letters to him, - and to be a unifying national tradition- but the Dixie States refuse to celebrate it anyway, and didn't until after the War.

So then in 1942 (I believe, but during WWII) FDR moves Thanksgiving to the second Thursday in November to stretch the shopping season in an effort to aid the economy! Folks were furious, but apparently it stayed that way until like four years later, when Congress stepped in and wrote legisation solidifying the date as the 3rd Thursday in November, period.

The documentary made the point that the biggest change in the way that Thanksgiving was celebrated came with the advent of radio and then television--- which brought FOOTBALL as a T-Day event, starting in the 1920's. In fact, football going on in the background is considered today the most pervasive commonality of Thanksgiving activities in American homes!

12. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

We Celebrate Thanksgiving down in these here Southern State quite regularly now that Northerner's come down here to get out of the cold and snow.

I saw a lady from New Yawk picking through the frozen turkeys at the

grocery store, but couldn't find one big enough for

her family. She asked a stock boy, "Do these turkeys

get any bigger?" The stock boy replied, "No ma'am,

they're dead."

I was going to ask that stock boy to get on his puter after work and posts some more words of wisdom in that other thread we have going on "Is there anything (life) after death? "..but they have him working the night shift mixing up corn bread stuffing.

13. Galcoolest

Prim-

That reminds of a similar anecdote- and I'll fudge it to keep it on topic.

It turns out that a famous movie producer who was a patient of my great-great grandfather's back in the 30's calls up the doc at home 11:00 am on Thanksgiving, panicked, and asks,

"Doc, doc! My wife found this spot on my back this morning when I asked her to scratch me, and she says it's new! It's never been there before! And it looks serious! What is it Doc? What should I do?"

My pappy doc replies, "Mr. Bigwig, do I need a haircut right now?"

"Damn, how the hell do I know? " the impatient patient retorts.

"My point exactly, sir. Enjoy the bird."

Dialtone. :cool:

14. Primrose

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  15. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Geeks list of thanks

1. Be thankful you haven't been spammed!

2. Be thankful your computer isn't down!

3. Be thankful your favorite forum isn't down!

4. Be thankful you don't have The Good Times virus!

5. Be thankful your server isn't down!

6. Be thankful for a vast selection of Web sites to browse!

7. Be thankful no one knows who you really are!

8. Be thankful someone sent you a cyber sundae, and you didn't gain a pound!

9. Be thankful your 28 year old cyberfriend really isn't 72!

10. Be thankful for a fast Internet connnection!

11. Be thankful no one sent you a cyber voo-doo doll!

16. Galcoolest

Non-geeks' thank you list

NON-GEEKS LIST OF THANKS:

1. Be thankful for Google. No, gesticulate to Google.

2. Be thankful your neighbor's son is the local PC whiz who has a crush on your daughter, and the neighbor still owes you some money.

3. Be thankful you realized MS wasn't really gonna come after you if installed some of your secretary's personal up-to-date Office software.

4. Be thankful that your kids feel like missionaries, and will go to the ends of the Earth to find you the best price on a component, and actually kick you the difference if you find a better deal .

5. Be thankful you always manage to squeal properly to the screeners and techs on the MS spport site about it "being a mistake and bad records they're keeping" to wear them down enough that you get yet another free "included incident".

6. Be thankful you don't give a damn about downloading all the "new" rap music or making video DVDs nobody will ever see, and can't imagine wasting time on interactive role playing games of any sort.

7 Be thankful you watched over the shoulder of the $90/hr tech guy who was called by the new office manager, and saw that all he did was run Spybot and Adaware, bump some nasties, and when he tried to charge for an hour's labor you got to publicly tear him to shreds...

8. Be thankful Bill Gates is still on his first wife and pack of progeny.

9. Be thankful your spouse just shrugs or rolls eyes at mention of your computer interest, knowing damn well if your partner was even mildly interested in computing, your gig would be up.

10. Be thankful for help forums where folks who actually know something hang around and help you for free, especially on national holidays. And belittle you only as much as is REALLY deserved, or at least not until they run out of wine.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  17. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Classic Thread Folks.......Keep it coming....I'm captivated by eloquence.....This 'Turkey Thread' has turned into a totally educational and thoroughly entertaining Swan.......especially as we don't have the luxury of having something to give 'Thanks' for in the UK, maybe that's why the brave and intrepid 'Pilgrims' left here for what they hoped might be something better........HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL THEY'RE DESCENDANTS..........

Cochise, :cool:

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I thought I would throw this in in the mix. I hope it fits.

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy

19. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

T'was the night of Thanksgiving

T'WAS THE NIGHT OF THANKSGIVING, BUT I JUST COULDN'T SLEEP
    I TRIED COUNTING BACKWARDS, I TRIED COUNTING SHEEP.

THE LEFTOVERS BECKONED - THE DARK MEAT AND WHITE
    BUT I FOUGHT THE TEMPTATION WITH ALL OF MY MIGHT
    TOSSING AND TURNING WITH ANTICIPATION
    THE THOUGHT OF A SNACK BECAME INFATUATION.

SO, I RACED TO THE KITCHEN, FLUNG OPEN THE DOOR
    AND GAZED AT THE FRIDGE, FULL OF GOODIES GALORE.

I GOBBLED UP TURKEY AND BUTTERED POTATOES,
    PICKLES AND CARROTS, BEANS AND TOMATOES.

I FELT MYSELF SWELLING SO PLUMP AND SO ROUND,
    'TIL ALL OF A SUDDEN, I ROSE OFF THE GROUND.

I CRASHED THROUGH THE CEILING, FLOATING INTO THE SKY
    WITH A MOUTHFUL OF PUDDING AND A HANDFUL OF PIE.

BUT, I MANAGED TO YELL AS I SOARED PAST THE TREES....
    HAPPY EATING TO ALL; PASS THE CRANBERRIES, PLEASE.
    MAY YOUR STUFFING BE TASTY, MAY YOUR TURKEY BE PLUMP.

MAY YOUR POTATOES 'N GRAVY HAVE NARY A LUMP,
    MAY YOUR YAMS BE DELICIOUS, MAY YOUR PIES TAKE THE PRIZE,
    MAY YOUR THANKSGIVING DINNER STAY OFF OF YOUR THIGHS.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE :D

[MOVE](From-Mrs. Beetlejuice-- his BETTER half) :p [/MOVE]

20. Primrose

TWAS the Night Before Thanksgiving ..revisited :D

Attached Files:

21. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

22. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

here is a little story about the important things in life

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar...and the 2 cups of coffee...

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, " I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.

The golf balls are the important things-your spiritual beliefs, family, your children, your health, your friends, and your favorite passions. Things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, and your car.

The sand is everything else-the small stuff.

"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal."

Take care of the golf balls first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

23. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Thanksgiving groaners

What did the mother turkey say to her disobedient children?
    "If your father could see you now, he'd turn over in his gravy!"

Why do Pilgrims have trouble keeping their pants up?
    Because they wear their belts on their hats!

What's the difference between a chicken and a turkey?
    Chickens celebrate Thanksgiving!!

What's the turkey's favorite black tie celebration?
    The Butter Ball!

How does a turkey drink her wine?
    In a gobble-let!

How many turkeys does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Just one, but it takes 5 hours!

Did you hear about the x-rated turkey?
    It's served with very little dressing!

What do you get when you cross a turkey, the beach, and Broomhilda?
    A turkey sand-witch!

What kind of music did Pilgrims listen to?
    Plymouth Rock!

Which side of the turkey has the most feathers?
    The outside!

Why do turkeys eat so little?
    Because they are always stuffed!

What did the turkey do in the Thanksgiving Day Parade?
    He played his drumsticks!

24. Marja

Great jokes, Ritaann!!

Glad my nephews and nieces are still young enough to think they are as funny as I do!! LOL!

In fact this whole thread is entertaining!! Thanks, Wilders'!! :D

Attached Files:

25. Marja

Well, I meant to post another picture, but that will do! We can toast to the success of another Wilders' year!! Yea, that'll do! :D

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.