kaspersky anti-hacker - my experiences so far

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tahoma, Dec 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahoma

tahoma Guest

just got the full version of this baby today. what can i say, im very impressed. full stealth on all test, including all over at pcflank. seems real stable, so i think ill keep using KAH (especially since im already a big fan of their anti-virus)

outpost always served me well, and kah doesent have the outpost plugins, however..its KAH for me from now on i think. very impressed

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

whats it look like is it newby frindly

how stealthy is it

3. Thats excellent tahoma, and good query mr blaze, as I have been also looking forewards to hearing about the new release . I run a kaspersky anti virus and would be interested in the firewall . I , even though not skilled to do so , had a go on the beta version some months back, and took it for a spin , but found it very hard to fathom out how to attain stealth . I felt like a fat duck , having a rest on the front lawn of the local Duck shooting club on the first day of duck shooting season .I tried to read the manuel but the info and instructions on debugging or whatever were totally beyond me . Might as well have been written in russian , whilst trying to read it in a snow storm lol. I wrote them and said I would be into it when the new version arrives if they could get a version that was newbie freindly for peoples like me, as there most likely are quite a few of us out there , who could set it up for basic protection "out of the box " till one could study up further . It would be good to know that this is the case , although what maybe a cruise for a novice can be a nightmare for a newbie lol, So if you have the time it would be wonderful to get some feedback on it Tahoma, I thank you, kind regards , Robert

4. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

solarpowered candle do you know joosky cause you typ like her are you from where shes from im wondering if ever one from where she from all smart

5. tahoma

tahoma Guest

its got a 'stealth' option, that didnt appear in the beta as far as i can remember. and its achieving stealth everywhere ive tried so far, as opposed to the beta that just achieved 'closed'

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Tahoma,

I am currently trialling Look 'n' Stop and Outpost as possible firewalls but I am interested in the possibility of Kaspersky AntiHacker. However, I am a bit relunctant as there is no trial version to download and I was 'burnt' by renewing my licence for AVP 3.5 to KAV 4 without trialling; I was disappointed with the newer AntiVirus version for various reasons!!!

Therefore those of us interested in the program can only rely on people like you to inform us of any pros or cons. I am particularly interested in its stability;whether it drains system resources or not and whether it appear to be doing the correct job of a firewall. At the present time would you recommend it, particularly over the free software firewalls presently available?

7. tahoma

tahoma Guest

doh, wrote a long reply, but forgot to fill in my email and now its all lost. heres an attempted reconstruction;:

rock stable, no crashes.
    100% stealth everywhere, every port, except netbios, for which i created a new rule, after applying it, i got stealth on that too.

similar to outpost in the way template rulesets are applied.

uses about 8 mb of resources, doesent slow down MY connection.
    lacks features like ad-blocker etc, its a plain pure firewall. and a damn good one.

dont blame me if u buy it and find its not meetnig your demands, but based on my experiences its the very best out and out firewall.

i used outpost for a long time, and i miss outposts plugins, but KAH is more stable, less unpredictable. moving from outpost to KAH was a bit like moving from a very capable but unstable product from a relatively unknown manufacturer, to a product u can trust 100% all the time, but lacking a bit in features.

so YES, i recommend it. maybe running it along side smt like proximitron, or perhaps another firewall (like zap) is a good idea, i dont know, didnt try.

my new configureation of KAH + drweb is a lot faster and more stable than outpost + kaspersky anti-virus which i used until recently..

ill post it here if i discover any vulnerabilities or anything else worth reporting

8. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

KAH is good!!! But its a memory hog,just like KAV 4! It uses 14 MB + of memory!

Technodrome

9. Thanks tahoma for your words. look forewards to hearing how it all flows.

Hey mr blaze, thank you for the compliment , but alas I do not know joosky , however i would really like too lol as she is one real sweety. nor do i reside in the same part of the world as her , but live down under in new zealand,
    kind regards to you, Robert

10. Well i downloaded it today and it is a really nice simple pure firewall. It runs sweetly so far and even though i drive a model T , my wind 95 32 ram antique hums along. In fact i have never been able to run my kav lite anti virus monitor in the past as it was like towing a train but for some reason its all going with the flow and my pc is really feeling nice an quick. Its easy to run straight from download and the only setting that i needed to check was to enable stealth mode . If my machine doesnt blow up tonight i will be a happy fellow and i really feel comfortable , for the first time with a simple combined anti virus and firewall solution that i actually feel secure with, cool aye lol , regards Robert

11. Blackcat

Purchased AntiHacker for my daughter's computer which is part of a small LAN when she is away at University.

Initial reactions were favorable; fast, stable and good for both newbies and experienced people with software firewalls. However, while testing the program over at PC Flank it passed all tests except the STEALTH TEST- where it failed all 5 mini-tests!!!!! The computer is a laptop running WinXP, and the XP Firewall is turned off.

I tried 'Shields Up' testing program and AntiHacker passed here. I have switched on 'stealth mode' on the program so something is going wrong somewhere. o_O

12. Blackcat

Wearing my glasses this time PC Flank is not reporting my correct IP address!!!! so it is this site which is not reporting correctly the stealth tests on Antihacker. Have tried some more tests, including Steve Gibson's site and the program passes all tests :D.

Assuming the PC Flank result was wrong, Antihacker appears a very nice program. Although at times it uses about 11mB of memory it appears not to slow down the system at all, easy to use and a nice interface. Would appear to be good choice for the newbie ( just set up and tick stealth mode) and the more experienced person. Kaspersky appears to have a very good program here which appears much better than their KAV 4 AV program. Highly recommended.

13. GiannMike

GiannMike Guest

Hi All! I too purchased Kaspersky Anti-Hacker today and I must admit, this is a great firewall for the beginner and I also assume for the advanced user. I get stealth all over at every scan site that have been mentioned on this board. My problem is almost like that of Blackcat, all stealth except stealth tests at Pc Flank except that for me the website is reporting the correct IP address. Is this anything to worry about and how can I stealth these tests? Is their any rules that I can create to stealth them? Thanks

14. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

It is not anything to worry about. Just a closed response instead of stealth to those particular types of scans. You are still secure.

As for rules or settings that may stealth you to these types of scans, hopefully some of the new users of this firewall might be able to help out. You could try sending an email to Kapersky support and inquire if it can deal with these types of scans.

Regards,
    CrazyM

15. Blackcat

Tahoma

You mention in your thread that you obtained stealth in all the sites you tested. Did you test at PC Flank?

As it now appears that I am not the only one that has tried AntiHacker at this site and failed the stealth test, I would be very interested in any rules you have set up with this program.

If I have time I might try and send an e-mail to Kaspersky support. However, I am still not convinced it is a failing of the program- the testing procedure at pcflank is more likely o_O

16. MikeGiann

MikeGiann Guest

Hi! I have sent an email to Kaspersky Labs support earlier this morning, as soon as I get an answer I'll post it here. In the meantime if anyone else has tested this and received the same response, please let us and Kaspersky's Lab know. Thanks. :)

Mike

17. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi,

I second that blocked or closed is not a security issue but AFM I prefer a total control and to be stealth or closed on a per port basis at whim according to my present needs. I played a few hours with KAH and I never achieved to be stealth on PCFlank and gave up : back to KPF or OP on my machines.
    Eager to know KAH answer and how to be stealth .
    Seems to me a lack of features for advanced users in KHA but I didn't study it to closely and I may be wrong.

Notice that being stealth is not always due to the FW, some ISP's set you in stealth mode without your own FW intervention :)
    It might be why Blackcat passes PCFlank tests with flying colours but the others.

Rgds,

18. I tried to do the test at flanks yesterday with KAV anti hack but all i got was that they are unable to proceed due to either my isp proxy or due to me running a firewall. I tried at Black cat but nothing would happen there so i went to Sygates , and although this scan does not have the highest star rating from this site , I tested my Kav out on all the scans available and got a 100%ok. So thats a start lol. Maybe i will try a few this eve after dinner and see what gives else where . Im not to knowing about these scan sites but do wonder if one or two are a little biased towards there particular favourite product. For me I wouldnt care what pc flank said . But if i did not achieve stealth on some of the lesser , so called sites I would be concerned. My feeling is that clickin stealth enables stealth totally , but we shall soon see if we all hit up enough sites each and put in our findings . regards Robert

19. Blackcat

Have tried several more sites and all give clean bill of health with AntiHacker. Will try more extensive testing with information provided by Tassie_Devils in one of my other threads in Firewalls. Retried PC Flank and this time it did give a correct IP address but it still failed on all the stealth tests.

Have also sent e-mails to Kaspersky, both in Russia and the UK; waiting for response.

Those of us with this firewall should have a better idea of its effectiveness if we carry on pooling our results. Keep testing!!!! ;)

20. GiannMike

GiannMike Guest

Well, I received an answer from Kaspersky's Lab and boy what a tech support they are.
    First reply that I received is that the technical support technician could not find the "stealth scan" on PC Flank's website, so I emailed them the exact link and described in detail what the procedure for the scan was and this is what they sent me as a reply:

" Dear Sir,

Unfortunately, we dont use such online scanners.

Sincerely yours,
    Saphia Rahimova
    Secure your cyberspace! "

Man, is this lame or what! Anyway I guess the people that bought this Anti-Hacker will be on their own to figure things out. This serves me right for buying a version 1.0 of a product and without trialing it out first, oh wait, there was no trial of this, I guess I now know why. I bought it in hopes that these people tested it first before selling it as a complete verson 1.0 and also because of their reputation for being the best at what they do and not giving an answer as the one mentioned above. I now hope the refund will go as smoothly as the purchase - but I won't hold my breath for that. Merry Christmas everyone. :)

21. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow Registered Member

No Trial from KAV Grinch

Ya, I don't trust any company that doesn't allow a trial run.

22. wow Giannemike thats a mean reply to you lol. I wonder about wether there english is that crash hot as i had fun with there labs a few months back and still cant fathom the emails out lol. However when it was all said an done i am happy with my kaspersky anti virus , which was what it was all about . Im wondering if what they are saying here is that they dont hold that site in any credible light as to there findings , anyways im gonna keep my kav anti hacker and go with it as im not having any problems with it , but good luck with your refund . regards Robert

23. devilhawk42420

devilhawk42420 Registered Member

I just e-mailed Kaspersky support about the problem with the PC Flank stealth test - on my system, KAH passes the UDP portion of the test, but fails the TCP. Is this what everyone else is experiencing?

24. Jonas

Jonas Registered Member

I know this may seem like a stupid question but...have any of you tried Sygate Persoanl Firewall? Their firewall has a smaller footprint and is VERY user friendly, even blocks Netbios and allows for even email alerts and stealth browsing (not the same as usign a Proxy). Iam surprized more people aren't talking about Sygate bu tif your looking for a firewall they have both the free version and the professional and trials.

Best wishes,
    Jonas

25. thats not a stupid question Jonas, sygates is a great firewall as many here would testify, na some of us are just laydowns when it comes to picking up new toys lol, thank god i dont go to timeshare presentations . I just wanted to buy my pc a xmas pressy . have a peaceful xmas, kind regards , robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.