Perfect Disk Do I need it?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by WilliamP, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Ok guys here is my question. I just purchased First Defence and love it. I have been offered a discount on Any Raxco software. If it were you what would you get? I defrag now with XP . Would I be able to tell any difference with Perfect Disk?

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

First of all let me say that I am not using PD, I own it, but have not installed it so I am not speaking from experience. My GUESS is that you might notice a little bit of a difference. There are some these days that actually question the need to defrag at all with todays modern systems. o_O So I don't know. I am saving PD incase I begin to notice a system slowdown but at this point I believe it simply is not needed, but it is an EXCELLENT program based upon everything I have heard and read. I still use the XP defrag also; maybe some day I will need a really good defrager, then I'll install PD. Good luck.

To answer your question, I believe the only people that really NEED it are folks who really have messed up hard drives that have been around a while.

Acadia

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I use it. I wouldn't be without it. XP is much better than other Window operating systems as far as defragmention of the hard disk and keeping the registry compact as well.

Perfectdisk will defrag your paging file on reboot as well.

It gives my system a speed boost. Probably not enough to matter to most people. Only really geeky people like me notice this sort of thing. :D

4. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

IMO....it's not worth the money.........but then again, what do I know.....If you've got it, use it, if you haven't, don't bother....... :D

Cochise, :cool:

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I've the same opinion as you...

I used Diskeeper, but found the PerfectDisk much better... ;)

6. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

same here, I use it too and I do notice something after a defrag :lol

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I also use Perfect Disk to keep my disk defragged. XP Defragger is a scaled down version of Diskkeeper. It defrags the files but leaves them scattered around the disk. Perfect Disk also defrags the free space so in essence it pulls all the files together. It also categorizes them by frequency of access and then groups them by category. This keeps files together on the disk which minimizes head movement.

I also compared speed and Pefect disk was quicker.

8. WilliamP

Thanks for the info. I will probably get it. I can definitely see the possible benefits of First Defence but I have a problem seeing the benefit with Perfect Disk. I'm not saying it isn't a good piece of software. Will it improve my system?

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

William, until you try it, I don't believe that it is possible to really know. Each one of us has different systems and therefore has different needs. It certainly won't hurt. If you try it and like it, please let us know. Like I said, I have PD but have never installed it; my system has not slowed down ... yet!

Acadua

10. securityuser

securityuser Guest

A defragmenter is a defragmenter is a defragmenter. I fall into the camp that defragging does nothing for performance on a system of at least P4 2.4/512mb with a late model hard drive. I defrag for security purposes after a free space wipe, but as for performance, a growing number of people believe it's all in the imagination with newer systems. If you are going to defrag the only real difference is the software available is with speed, autosettings and the like. But if you're just thinking performance and you have a newer computer, it's not worth the time or effort.

11. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I use PD and it does give me a warm fuzzy feeling to see all my files neatly tidied up on the drive :) I _think_ I see performance benefits but this is all very subjective.

I do know that it enabled me to increase my largest area of free space on the partition I wanted to put my GoBack history onto such that I was able to install it there. The GoBack history has to be a contiguous area and will not install if this is not avaialble.

Having said that, some other defrag tool could probably done the same thing but I have noticed that putting PD into 'aggressive' mode does help to remove any persistent clusters which may be 'blocking the way'.

To sum up, I'd still buy it again :)

12. WilliamP

Well guys I went ahead and downloaded Perfect Disk. I do like Raxco's software. They have put a lot of work into it.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

William

Tell us what you think after you have used it awhile. Don't forget the boot time defrag.

14. WilliamP

I have run a Smart Placement defrag. How do you setup a boot defrag?

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Right click on C:, properties, follow the tabs.

Attached Files:

16. WilliamP

Ok I did what you indicated except I didn't check at every boot. Then I rebooted. I didn't see it do anything. Was I supposed to?

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Check "at every boot" and try it again. After you boot up you can remove the check if you desire.

18. WilliamP

Coooool . That worked. I don't exactly know what it accomplished but it worked. The computer does seem to boot faster. Thank you for the help.

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You don't need to check the "every boot" option for offlilne defrag. Just open Perfect Disk and click on the offline defrag Icon. It will tell you the disk is locked and ask if you want do to do the defrag on the next reboot.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Better option if you don't want to defrag every reboot. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  21. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Basically, perfectdisk is excellent. Try out its free 30 day trial and see if you like it.
    Diskeeper is no match for perfectdisk.

22. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

To Acadia:

I am so confident that you will like Perfect Disk, I am willing to let you try it for 30 days and see for yourself. Aside from doing a much better job, there is the fact that every defrag you do, as a rule takes less and less time. I am at the point where my defrags often take less than a minute. But seriously, you will SEE the difference or my name isn't HandsOff!

To Ronjor:

Just curious, do you have PD defrag all files including the Layout.ini files, or no? (under tools > advanced settings > configuration)

- HandsOff

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

LOL. I just got done doing something and then I logged on to the Internet, came here, and read your post. What is it that I just finished doing before coming here ... I just got done installing PD 7.0 and doing my first defrag. :cool: Just curious, how were you going to let me try it for 30 days? o_O
    Anyway, thanks.

Acadia

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Handsoff

I have PerfectDisk set to manage everything.

Attached Files:

25. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

To Acadia-

Basically, I was going to encourage you to use your own software!

To Ronjor-

That's what I mean! My guess is that the option you show selected in your screenshot is r e a l l y saying let XP handle some of them, otherwise, what does choice that says something like - let PD handle all layout.ini files (Windows XP only)? I have to confess I have used both, but currently use the xp only setting.

I may have something else to say, depending on how wrong I am about this...

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.