eTrust EZ Antivirus 2005 v7. Any opinions?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by infini, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infini

infini Registered Member

What do you think of this new version? Has anyone tried this?

2. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Tried it and quickly removed it.......does not handle infected files like it should.
    In the manual it states: "moves all infected files to Quarantine"
    But it sure does not!!!!!! I think a bad case.

Good luck

Putin ;)

3. shemmazur

shemmazur Guest

The latest manual says:

"Note: Infected ZIP Files and other archives will not be quarantined."

The entire Quarantine section is repeated below.

Quarantined Items

To access the quarantined items, open EZ Antivirus and select the Tools Tab, then click the Quarantined Items Button.

Quarantining items can be a useful way of safeguarding you against automatic deletion or corruption of files in the unexpected situation of a false alarm. It also gives you the ability to have a place to review your infected items, and to restore items in your own time.

When an infection is quarantined, it can no longer be accessed by the file system, and disappears from the location it was detected in.

Note: Infected ZIP Files and other archives will not be quarantined.

The quarantined items list will contain the following information about infections that have been quarantined:

Quarantined File: The full path and filename of the infection including the extension.

Infection: The name of the infection. A hyperlink will be offered where available to obtain further information about the virus, Trojan or worm detected.

Date/Time: The exact time and date of detection.

Type: The type of infection - for example, File or Email.

Info: When the info link is clicked, the Quarantine Information Window is displayed.

The buttons below the quarantined items list allow you to perform various actions on your quarantined infections:

Restore - Restores the infection to its original location. A dialog box will appear allowing you to choose the filename and location for the restoration.

Remove - Removes the selected item from the quarantined items list.

Purge - Remove all items from the list.

Help - Displays this help topic

Close - Closes the Quarantined Items window.

4. infini

infini Registered Member

I just tried it and it has very few options

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

In reply to infini... Im not a user but just read in DSL Forums that if you go into scan settings and use Alt-D it opens up a window with additional settings. See if it works...cheers :D

6. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Tried it and it didn't detect some banker virus which norman detected.
    Granted that the banker virus only works with Win98 but still ...
    Light though

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

not enough user options for my taste.

bigc

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

To *make room* for F-Prot 3.16, I just uninstalled EZ after 14 months of off-&-on use as a back-up scanner.

EZ's new versions have incremental updates, which is good -- but not such a big deal now that I have broadband. However, after an update has been downloaded, EZ installs it VERRRY slowly on my WinME machine, which is NOT good. As a freebie, EZ would be okay. But for $$$ -- there are better options.

9. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

What scanning engine(s) do they include with this one? I still have the Etrust v7 Promo on my WinME partition and it has both the InoculateIT & Vet engine. It seems to still work pretty good and it has alot of options which I like.

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

EZ uses the Vet engine. It's supposed to be pretty good. I know of a couple of people on other forums, though, who downloaded EZ and said it wasn't catching everything. They've removed it, so I don't know.

11. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

It's free, not much else I can say...
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
    Firewall+AV = EZ Armor 2005 FREE (Note: this is "LE" version, dunno what it is... maybe Light Edition)

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The firewall is Lite (a crippled re-tread of Zone Alarm). The Antivirus part of the freebie is the whole enchilda, however.

Fortunately, installing the FW component of EZ Armor is optional.

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Well then Bellgamin I made the right choice by keeping my old ZAP 5.1 and just going with the free EZAV. The last ZAP 5.1x was working just fine so lets not make a change there. And I figured ZoneLabs would not let full version of their product to be placed in CA product just like I hear the updates for CA AV are slower for ZAS.

Ugg, Ugg, ZoneLabs should have stuck to FireWalls :p

14. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I downloaded the new version 7 on an old machine last night. The interface is well layed out, and no doubt will appeal to the masses that like an easy to manage program. I must say though that I was disappointed in 1 (important) thing. The program does not say when the latest update to the prog was released o_O . At first I thought it did, but it only lists when it checked last. If you dig deeper it will tell you the virus signature update number (ie 8836). Woo hoo....like this means anything to me. Do they think I have time to go to their site to find out the lastest release.

15. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I have always enjoyed using the promo v however I decided to not use it this year and opted for some thing diffirent. I tried the new 2005 v7 but found that it slowed my system down . I were not so happy either with the recent down ward trend of both Vet and Inoculate in recent tests around the web.
    I miss the promo though , Its been the litest AV that Iv ever used and the easiest with its options .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.