Which Hard Drive Defragger

Discussion in 'polls' started by AnthonyG, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

What would you recommend me to buy between

O&O Defrag professional or Perfect Disk 7.

(or is there something else better than both of them)

I just want something fast and very easy to use to defrag my hard drive.

Thanks

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Not familiar with O&O. If you do some Google searching for PD you will find nothing but universal praise for that product. I have actually owned it since July but have never installed it. But I have installed another one of their products and can tell you from experience that Raxco tech support is about as good as you can get. :cool: Good luck.

Acadia

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Anthony1uk

When I first installed XP, I went looking for a defragger program. I tried Diskeeper, O&O. and PerfectDisk. I tried each of them for a couple of weeks.

Any of them are very good. PerfectDisk edged the others out on my computer.
    It is a faster defragger than most and my computer seems a bit faster after a defrag.

PerfectDisk has excellent support as well.

Not very scientific. Just a user opinion.

4. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Whats wrong with the defraging software built into windows xp?

Jimbob

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Anthony1uk

My experience is the same as ronjor. Infact i have nothing to add except that, after you have tried both and if you choose PerfectDisk be sure to take advantage of their 20% of promo. Use Promo Code "EVENBETTER".:)

http://www.raxco.com/products/currentpromo.cfm

6. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello Anthony1uk,

I agree, that all are very good defraggers. I did the same and trialled the different products. I went with Diskeeper. I just thought it did a better job on my system and it was my personal choice. If I were you I would trial them also and decide from the experiences you get from each. Good luck....

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Actually nothing, it works. It's just that when it comes to utilities, Microsoft just puts in the minimum required and so it is with their firewall, backup, and defrag, they all work but most third-party utilities do more and better. I own Perfectdisk but still use the built-in MS defrag because, well, I just haven't gotten around to messing with it yet.

Acadia

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

It's huge weakness is its inability to defragment system files.

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I am a happy camper with these two (free) defraggers:

Buzzsaw:
    On the fly defragmenting only when the disk is greater than 95% idle.

Dirms:
    It is a command line utility that will defragment using multiple passes your hard drive.

http://www.dirms.com/

Gerard

10. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Raxco here: Only I wonder if the upgrade would be such a benefit from 6.3

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I can't make that decision for you Infinity ;) , but i can tell you that it is a lot faster. :)

12. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

It sure is Don, lol, love the gui better now. have a nice eve y'all

inf

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use diskeeper it does a good job and runs very fast on my xp pro

bigc

14. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Another happy camper :D

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i use Dirms too and its good, however i have a C drive short cut in my quick start toolbar and if i right-click it it lets me defrag the drive. it opens a dos box and defrags. i just did it and it took about 3/4 minutes. although i did defrag 2 days ago so thats probably why it was so quick. i cant find the program that puts it in the right click, i'll have a look and see if i can find it :)

Attached Files:

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

this is it PowerShell-XP3 although i think i have PowerShell-XP2.

Notes:
    PowerShell-XP3 will only work on Windows XP/w service pack 2.
    PowerShell-XP2 will only work on Windows XP.

PowerShell-XP3 adds all these items to your context menus.
    Right Click The "My Computer" icon.
    *Add/Remove Programs
    *Calculator
    *Clean Drive
    *Control Panel
    *Dos Prompt
    *Edit Registry
    *Logoff
    *Quit Windows
    *Reboot
    *Security Center (New)
    *System Properties
    *System Restore

Right Click The "Drive(s)" icon's.
    *Check Drive (New)
    *Clean Drive
    *Defrag this Drive
    *Dos Prompt

Right Click a "Folder" icon.
    *Backup this Folder
    *Dos Prompt
    *Copy to Folder
    *Move to Folder

Right Click on a File.
    *Copy to Folder
    *Move to Folder

Highlight and then Right Click a word on a webpage.
    *Search Current News (New)
    *Search Encyclopedia (New)
    *Search for Images
    *Search Newsgroups
    *Search the Web

In "New" property menus.
    *HTML Document
    *Registration Entries

17. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

My favorite is Power Defragmenter:

18. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Anyone know what was improved/added with the latest version of Diskeeper......including the very latest ( Patch ? ).............i'm running 8.0 and wondering if it's worth it to upgrade......

19. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

OK. I'm the expert here. Why? Because I am a POWER USER. As well I play a lot of 3D games where a disk defragger makes all the difference.

I have used Microsoft's built-in defragger, own Perfect Disk 7 as well as Diskeeper 9.

The best by a mile, by leaps and bounds is DISKEEPER. WHY?

Because it makes the drive perform faster and doesn't take all day to defrag like Perfect Disk. I performed tests yesterday using Far Cry as a benchmark.

I defragged the drive using Perfect Disk 'Smart Placement'. After playing Far Cry for about half an hour I got a blue screen. Ok, so I rebooted and started again. This time I played again and noticed after about 45 minutes my pc slowing down. So I logged out of the game and my desktop was all slow and sluggish loading. This happened quite a few times. Something I hadn't noticed before I started using Perfect Disk.

Next I ran Diskeeper Pro 9. Ran Far Cry for about 2 hours - no slowdowns. When I returned to the desktop it was a quick load ( as in a flash). The desktop appeared immediately without sluggishness. I tried this again a few times and never ever had that sluggishness since using Diskeeper. I did have serious sluggishness using Perfect Disk and it took forever to defrag, not ideal for 3d gaming if you want to do a quick defrag in between a game. Even with 'Smart Placement ' turned off I found that Perfect Disk was far from perfect making me wait for half an hour to get on with my game. Diskeeper only took about 1 and a half minutes to defrag and back to my game.

Take it from me and ditch, dump and throw away Perfect Disk if you want to play 3d games. It's hopeless and simply not practical for gaming use especially if you want to do a quick defrag and then return to your game.

I bought Perfect Disk 7 yesterday because I had version 6 and the upgrade was only $15. I have both on my pc (PD & Diskeeper) but I use Diskeeper for everyday use and would rather have paid $50 for Diskeeper than $15 for PD.

All the hype released by Raxco about Diskeeper being out performed by Perfect Disk is a lot of bull. On my own PC Perfect Disk is absolutely hopeless and very time consuming while Diskeeper defintely speeds up my SATA drives and is QUICK, not wasting all my time waiting. Also, a VERY IMPORTANT POINT. With Perfect Disk you CAN'T do anything else while you defrag but with Diskeeper you CAN. You can set 'priorities' with Diskeeper so you can surf and do other things while your drive is defragging. Also Diskeeper has 'set it & forget it' so you can set it to automatically optimize you disk when needed. Also Diskeeper has 'FRAG GUARD' where you can protect your MFT files from fragmentation.

Don't believe all the hype Raxco puts out because that's what it is - mainly hype.

I found that the Microsoft internal defragger to be 10 times better than Perfect Disk and sped up my PC a lot. It only takes a bit longer than Diskeeper but is very, very good.

My advice - buy Diskeeper Pro and you WON'T REGRET IT.

Dave

20. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Have an old copy of DK 6 workstation and PD 6. PD may be a tad faster under some conditions. However, DK will allow the user to set the defrag program at various priority levels. At the lowest level, the program will defrag in the background with minimal drop in system performance. DK also places the directories at the beginning of the partition resulting in a very small gain in performance.

I prefer DK 6 over PD 6.

21. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Me 2 :D :D

22. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

I really wanted to try and use Perfect Disk but 'in between game defragging' it hits very hard. The 1st defrag was smart-placement and took about half an hour. Then later I did another defrag (smart Placement) and it took only about 10 minutes. But a few hours later after playing Far Cry I did another defrag and Perfect Disk began moving very large files again and after 25 minutes I just got fed up with it and used Diskeeper to defrag and went back to my game.

I was very disappointed that Perfect Disk took so long and used so many resources that you simply can't do anything but look at your screen while defragging and if that's an hour or so then you have to find something else to do. This is just not good enough when defragging is done in the background in the 21st century. Defragging should not spoil your PC interaction. You should be able to carry on regardless of the defragging especially on today's high end PC's, yet Perfect Disk has yet to catch up in this area - a real pity.

Dave

23. Fire-Ant

Fire-Ant Registered Member

I fully agree

24. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Thanks Worldcitizen............your input was helpful......i have been using DK for over a year and it does the job without problems.........tried PD and was not happy................i have been having problems downloading DK 9......have no idea why .....have tried a few times.....will try again.....thanks again :)

25. muf

muf Registered Member

I've been using Diskeeper 8 for about a year on my Windows ME system. Wouldn't be without it. Quick, easy and keeps my system in perfect shape. Well as perfect as you can get Windows ME. ;)

muf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.