Delete Index.Dat As New Administrator

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by GlobalForce, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

2. NetTraveler

NetTraveler Registered Member

Great info.. Thanx GlobalForce. :) I had problem with IExplorer and had no clue why.. Now I know.. ;)

3. NetTraveler

NetTraveler Registered Member

Just saw article on Index.dat at purgeie.com. ther's info on how to delete files manually in Ms-Dos, and you can d/l fully-functional trial versions of PurgeIE - 6.02 and PurgeIE Pro - 2.02
    But before I do that, I would like to understand how shredders work as I already have trial CCleaner and Streganos Internet Anonym.. ( I understand way they overwritte files tho..)
    They both have function of deleting traces in IE but what I don't know is, do they also delete Index.Dat. o_O Just curious.. Because in order to delete Index.Dat it's necessary to reboot in Ms-Dos. I couldn't find that info on either sites so I think they only shred normal cookies/history/and usual stuf leaving Index file intact.. Do you folx know more?

4. GlobalForce

If you look around you're going to find many programs that take care of the index.dat file, some free and some pay. I'm in
    an exploratory stage of computing and trying to get a grip on what xp can and can't do out of the box, so when I come across techniques to apply without additional software, I find it thrilling. This doesn't negate the fact of properly erasing leftovers on the hard-drive, utilities like Heidi's Eraser and Active@KillDisk (both free) seem to rank tops with many security experts (eraser pretty consistent winner) for taking care of what xp alone cannot.

Personally I find it just as effective to delete as another administrator and erase the free space with my log-on.
    Most softwares work fine (MRU Blaster is popular with good support). But for me, Heidi's Eraser is just plain versatile.

I know this can be incorporated into a batch file as well, and also edited into the auto-exec file to clear,
    though my research is incomplete.....few items to work out. A bit dated, but some good info all the same here.

You'll also find a boatload of info at Educypedia on just about everything internet..... :cool:

GF

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  5. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Hey GF!!

And yet another informative link by the "Formal Forum Ferret"! Or should I say the "Links Hunter"? Thanks!! You save us alot of time finding all these great links!

Cheers!! O' Great Links Hunter!! :D
    Marja:cool:

6. GlobalForce

For you Marja, anytime. :D
    Glad you found them so and.......nice to see you drop in. :cool:

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.