Windows media player wont work no more

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

A while back i installed WMP10 everything was fine for a couple of hours then all of a sudden every media file i have tried to play it said
    "Windows media player has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I tried rolling back to a previous version but the same problem still occured. I tried reinstalling both version 10 and version 9 but it wont let the program install no more as durint the install process it says again
    "Windows media player has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Can someone please give me some advice on how to fix it as you never know how much you miss something until its gone.

*Edit* just had a look at administrative event logger and it says "Faulting application wmplayer.exe, version 9.0.0.2980, faulting module entapi.dll, version 8.0.0.240, fault address 0x0000368a."

Any help to solve this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. TONY....have you scanned with your anti=virus...? There was a rather old virus by a like name.....well it actually may have been a trojan.....so scan with a good trojan scanner as well........what the heck...

I think the virus/trojan had some to do with nentapi.dll

now take what I've post with a grain of salt.....its just a guess

3. This may be what I was recalling (NOT SAYING ITS THE CAUSE OF YOUR PROBLEM)

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/wm97chronica.html

If the day can be divided exactly by 3 the following files are affected:
    "C:\WINDOWS\ROUTE.EXE"
    "C:\WINDOWS\PING.EXE"
    "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NETOS.DLL"
    "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NETDI.DLL"
    "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NETBIOS.DLL"
    "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NETAPI.DLL" <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,
    "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NETAPI32.DLL".

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Are you using VMware or Network Associates(McAfee) ?

5. AnthonyG

I dont know what vmware is but im using mcaffe virus scan enterprise version 8.0i as my antivirus. (and if its any help to mention this i am using outpost pro 2.1 as my firewall)

Hope this is some help to fix this annoying problem

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Have you checked the propereties of that file to see if it indeed is a Mcafee file ?

Also....via event viewer....does it show an Event ID: ?

7. AnthonyG

Thanks for your help but i dont know how to check the properties of the file and if i did i wouldnt know what to do or what to look for.

But the event id is 1000

Also when i have clicked to send the information to microsoft it says the filename is: faultrep.dll

Hope this is some help

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

There are a couple of ways you can find the properties of a file.

**Select Start button....Search\For Files and Folders. In the Search for files or folders named box....type entapi.dll....then in the Look in: section....select C: drive. When it finds the file....it should be displayed in the right hand area....right click the file and select Properties. You should then have a Version tab....click on it and in the Other version information area should be a Company Name ?

I have given you an example in the pic that might help you understand.

**As for the Event ID: 1000 and faultrep.dll....I am not able yet to suggest McAfee(in particular enterprise version 8.0i) is once again causing the porblem but that is something I would look into.

Attached Files:

9. AnthonyG

Found it, it was in the system 32 folder. It says the company is Network Associates, Inc

And the file version 8.0.0.240

Can my windows media player be fixed now knowing this.

Thanks

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I would like to say sure....but all we have confirmed IMO is that the media player file(wmplayer.exe, version 9.0.0.2980) is butting heads in memory with a file(entapi.dll, version 8.0.0.240) that we have now cofirmed to belong to Network Associates and in particular McAfee enterprise version 8.0i.

If we want to follow a path to see if McAfee and Media Player are indeed butting heads....I suggest you temporarily disable McAfee....and then attempt to run Media player.

11. AnthonyG

Hi, i disabled on access scan in mcafee and tried to play a file with media player but it still wont work. Is that what you meant when you said disable mcafee

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I am not familar enough with McAfee but was wanting to take McAfee out of the loop....whatever it takes. How long ago did you update to version 8 and did the problem occur about that time ?

Hopefully I'm not headed down the wrong road BUT it appears you have a conflict with a version of software(Mcafee Enterprise) that comes up in quite a few Forums I have run across.

Were it my machine....I would un-install McAfee....reboot....un-install Media player....reboot....install the version of Media player you want....reboot and see what happens.

I am in no way an authority BUT I will not hesitate to try something as mentioned above knowing it want to take much to get it back. Programs fighting for memory space is not someting I like to waste to much time on.

Hopefully others will drop in and offer comments....until then I am out of suggestions and will follow with interest your outcome.

13. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Look here... [​IMG]

Ciao,

Smokey

14. ?Ryu

?Ryu Guest

Also having this trouble, and I guess it was since I updated McAfee. Good call.

15. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I've been getting this message since WMP8.........Not consistently....but regularly enough to be a pain in the a$$.......It's always been the same under several reinstalls....XP reinstalls.....etc........I put it down to WMP being a piece of crap!......I've learned to live with it.
    Cheers,
    Buck.

16. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I've never had any problems with WMP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.