sys,restore trojan

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by bigc73542, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

And all these years I was under the impression that you couldn't clean or delete any malware from restore ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Re: sysrestore trojan

That's interesting. Was that a safe mode removal?

3. bigc73542

No it was in real time

4. bigc73542

The restore on this version of xppro is a little custom and it does not show the restore folder anywhere, it can not be found. But it is there and works like a dream

Attached Files:

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I know an antivirus can scan sys restore and find viruses.

So you have modified the restore folder?

6. bigc73542

I didn't but the programer that customized my xp could have. I might have to ask. I like the ability to clean baddies out of restore.

7. anders

anders Eset Staff Account

Was that a scheduled scan or something?

The scheduled scan is performed as the local system account, which has more access to the System Volume Information-folder, than normal users.

Best regards,
    Anders
    nod32 antivirus

8. bigc73542

I was reading email and it popped up.

9. Emniman

Emniman Registered Member

hmmm i tought it looked intresting so i took a peek in my quarantine and iv got 2 removals from restorefolder. - :)

10. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Yep.... NOD32 found 4 viruses in my system restore and cleaned them... and no I have not modified system restore.... I don't think you can?

Anyways, I"ve heard that you can only view them... but thats not true... it can delete them too!.... I also had it find a virus in a zip file and successfully deleted that one too!

11. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Nod or any other antivirus shouldn't be able to delete anything from inside system restore folder

where they do they then make the entire system restore useless as the log will not match with the restore point(s) and consequently when you try to use it to get you out of trouble you will most likely get a message that system restore could not restore due to corrupted/damaged restore points

M$ made it so that only the system can insert to that folder and it is supposed to be that only a complete restore can take place not selective and if it finds one missing file or extra file that doesn't correspon=d to the log it aborts the restore operation

I think that nod really should do what other antiviruses do & just warn of inferctions in system restore as the only proper way to remove them is completely purge the system restore as described by M$

that is turn it off, reboot and turn it back on again

12. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Could one of you guys that have removed a virus from System restore, try and see if it will restore from that point? it would be a good experiment.

13. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Also could any of the folks that had NOD find a virus in system restore and cleaned it make a new restore point and then try it to see if it works?

14. bigc73542

I restored to a point before and after it deleted the file and restore still worked. Believe the reason it does what it does is that restore is integrated into the C drive partition. Restore does not have a seperate partition like my other win xp comp does. I finally found where it is located when I did a defrag with diskkeeper. But it is not labeled and does not have a folder listed for it but it does work very well.

bigc

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  15. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

I haven't tried it... but I would think as long is it is just "extracting" funky files that aren't supposed to be there anyway and are not system critical.. it should work just fine..... kinda like deleting a file out of a zip file and still being able to open the zip file to get the rest of the files therein.

16. bigc73542

It must be something along those lines.

17. ?jram

?jram Guest

I have done this before fooling around with restore, I had a virus in system restore folder, I tried to do a system restore,it said it couldn't go to that date...I turned off my AV , tried the date again, it restored to the date,turned on my AV and caught the virus when I scanned..This is a good way to restore your system if it's really messed up.. I haven't had a virus with NOD32 , so I haven't tried it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.