Why NOD32 is so stinkin cool!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by windstrings, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

First of all... I like it!.....

I read a post about some "ya hoo" who used nod32 for a year, but got rid of it because he didn't see enough on the web, and that everytime there was a virus "showdown", nod32 wasn't included, and that the only place you ever see then win any prizes or score well was at the "Virus Bulletin Awards", so I started looking.... it took me about 10 seconds or less to find out how pcmagazine was praising nod32! http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,978452,00.asp

That guy shouldn't be so dependent upon what is popular!..... hasn't he figured out by now that what is popular is often the worse? Same with clothes!!! :D

The popular companies aren't "hungry" anymore and get lazy about keeping thier stuff "cutting edge" and the little guys flys by in a blaze before they realize whats up!... Kinda like microsoft verses Amd :D "did I say that?" o_O

anyway, you can try them all for free, but so far I am really impressed with nod32!

I don't have a "bag" of viruses on some cd that has been collected for the last 50 years for it to check (and don't care too), but its stinkin fast..... I run a athlon64 3200 and I feel like I just bumped up to at least a 4000?

Its the "in the wild" viruses is all that matters!.. Not all those on some cd?, Who cares if extendia has 100,000 kav definitions plus another 90000 rav defenitions?, if it makes my computer slow, and doesn't find the "in the wild as better, and is slow, its not worth the trade-off? Those are the only ones you'll ever catch.. unless you "go look for them in the zoo's!" and "the wild" is what nod32 excells in!

No compatiblity issues either.... I open everything blazing fast.... Nero 6.3125, Perfectdisk, spybot I can run at the same time I am scanning with nod32, and I can run registry mechanic also with the two prior as well as browse the web.... all with virtually no notice!
    I also run Office 2003, Wordperfect 10, burn Cd's, DVD's, and can play games or run benchmark utilites all the while.... try that with some of the "popular, highly rated pieces of crap av software out there!" What good is the antivirus program if it "behaves" like a virus and slugs your system down and makes things not work, or not work well... NOd32 rocks!

I like the review in pcmagazine, because he reflected exactly my sentiments from my own findings.

I do like to read what other people say out there, and you have to take it all with a grain of salt, just like any info about anything and follow your gut, but nod32 has been blamed for having a "cultish" following that can see no evil?
    I only think thats because its hard to figure out on first look. And those "groupies" are the ones that have figured it out!.... then you are blown away with what it will do and how fast it will do it! But even the default settings will find more than its competitors most of the time.

Like I said in a previous post.. I tried to send NOD32 a virus I found via email and I no longer had clicked the "send" button and it arrested my send!!!! ----> no scanning for a few seconds or even milliseconds... it felt like "nanoseconds" boom! and it had it!

And look at that... already another virus update!... "1.905", I am really impressed with nod32 not making you wait a week "like mcafee (most of the time) but come out with new dats every few hours!

And hallelujah!.. my autoupdate "did" work!!!!

Some people try it and get rid of the nod32 trial version and the first 15 minutes toss it because they are confused and intimidated with the controls... kinda like getting in a Farrari your first time!!!!!! It may be hard to drive at first, but man does it fly once you figure it out!!!

IN all my reading... the one thing that really made sense to me "why nod32 is so fast" is found on these pages...
    Quote "Most of the current antivirus solutions are coded in high-level programming languages that consume valuable system resources when executed. NOD32 uses elegant assembly code to provide first-rate virus protection with a negligible impact on network and CPU performance."

I couldn't find much data on "elegant assembly code" so first, I tried to educate myself and here's what I found..... It basically means "computer assembly language"
    http://www.agner.org/assem/
    http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/53764.htm

Seems it has to do not only with the way the processors work, but as well as the operating system interaction, and all is considered.... time for new stuff!

I realize many of the sites share and copy each others stuff, but if you want to confirm about using "elegant assembly code", check out these sites:
    Read 3/4 way through the second paragraph
    http://nod32.name/nod/NOD32_Antivirus.htm
    http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/SC0409/S00078.htm

Ok.. I'm done.. I feel better now..... what do you think this forum is for anyways!!! *puppy*

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  2. donsan

donsan Registered Member

all i can say is well said.

3. fosius

fosius Registered Member

very nice said

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Nice post Windstrings.

Cheers :D

5. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Agree with the sentiments !

6. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

said by windstrings
    Hi windstrings. I'm a NOD32 user. I just read your post a few minutes ago. I'm a little confused. [​IMG] I may be misunderstanding what you are saying, which is very posible, but from reading the above quote, you make it sound like NOD32 has outgoing mail scanning. I just let NOD32 do it's thing. I never test it anymore. So for all I know maybe it does scan outgoing mail. Can you please clear this up so that even I can understand. [​IMG]

7. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

8. Blackspear

I believe Windstrings was referring to AMON springing into action when he tried to attached a Virus/infected file to an email, as per his post here

Hope this helps...

9. windstrings

Yes, Amon... one of the modules in nod32, is what I had to disable before I could "purposely" send a virus... it wouldn't let me otherwise...
    IMON is where you have the settings for email.
    But to answer your question.... yes.. incoming and outgoing is scanned.

10. Blackspear

Afraid not, only in the beta version of EMON, for use with MS Outlook.

Those that only use Outlook EXPRESS do not have outgoing emails scanned per say, however, and there's always a however ;) as you have found out, AMON will not let an infected file be attached to an email, so this is a form of scanning to a degree...

Hope this helps...

11. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me.[​IMG]

12. windstrings

I do use outlook express and since when I send an email to someone... its says at the bottom "this was scanned with nod32", I assume its being scanned?
    and since it wouldn't let me send a virus... I also assume so?

maybe its being misleading and I'm missing something?

13. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

Bravo!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

14. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Is this a new e-mail or one you have received and are forwarding? If it is a new email are you looking in the "sent" folder and seeing the "this was scanned with nod32"?

15. windstrings

Every email I send someone.. it says that at the bottom "once they recieve it", and every email I recieve from someone with the latest version of NOD32 also has that on the bottom when I recieve thiers.

16. Blackspear

100% Nod32 does not scan outgoing email, try sending a email to yourself and see the results.

17. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Er... if you do that, then NOD32 would mark the incoming email as scanned. But as said above, NOD32 doesn't scan outgoing mail in Outlook Express.

18. Blackspear

Exactly, so you will not see 2 messages i.e 1 outgoing, and 1 incoming on the email sent to yourself ;) :D

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you reply to an email you have gotten with NOD adding the message that this mail was scanned with NOD32, and you include the original message in the reply,
    the tag will go with the reply.

20. windstrings

ah.. ok... this is the message I got when I sent to myself:
    This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
    http://www.nod32.com

I guess this was scanned when I recieved it?... not when I sent it?

I don't have another email right now that does not have nod32 on it to test......
    But I suppose if it scans attachments and won't let me send them... thats the same difference isn't it?..... are you saying I can still send someone a virus and nod will let me?....

I can't even test by sending myself a virus.. Ill get the same results... Ill have to test on another machine.

21. flyrfan111

As Blackspear mentioned AMON will stop you from attaching an infected file. If you truly want outgoing email scanning for outlook, you can download the EMON beta I mentioned in post 7.

22. Blackspear

Correct.

It’s pretty close to outgoing email scanning…

No Nod32 will not let you send a infected email accidentally, you can only send one intentionally by zipping a file… As you found with AMON springing into action…

Hope this helps…

23. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

I thought EMON only scans email if you are using the MAPI interface to send/receive mail (e.g. with MS Exchange on a corporate LAN).

I currently use Outlook 2002 to send email using SMTP protocol and receive using POP3.

Will the new EMON be of any use to me?

o_O

24. windstrings

I havn't recieved a reply from my virus I sent nod32.... its called "parsons.dot"

And you were right...I did have to zip it to send it... but I had to turn off amom to even zip it!... it wouldn't let me touch it!

Im not sure why zipping helped since I have found "zipped" viruses before? I zipped the "msupdate.exe" virus once and it still found it?

Nevertheless I was not able to clean it in the zipped form even though nod32 said it could... then when I tried.. all options were greyed out except to "leave" it.

So I turned off amon again and unzipped it and turn back on amon.
    Then by just trying to open it..... it caught it and was able to clean it and then it would open find as it was a help file.

And I use outlook express..."don't scream so loud!" and I have to turn off the mapi interface or I get an error that my email client can't etc etc...

25. flyrfan111

I think it would be useful to you. I started using at soon as it was available. it checks all email accounts you use with Outlook XP(2002), even hotmail.
    The link to d/l it is in my earlier post. The only shortcoming to it is if you decide you don't like it, NOD has to be uninstalled/reinstalled. You can't just uninstall EMON. I haven't had any problems and no one else seems to either from the lack of posts about it in the beta forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.