rising av

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ellison64, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive been using this for a few weeks now and am quite happy with it,however i erroneously reported in an earler thread (somewhere?)that it interfered with boclean.To set the record straight ,this is not the case.With memory monitor activated in rising av it actually interferes with process explorer and iarsn taskinfo.I use both to check cpu usage ,mem usage etc.With the mem monitor running in the av and any of these progs running , ram just goes down by approx 1 meg persecond.Im not sure why but there you have it.System is a 98se version
    ellison

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Interesting. I wonder why?

Any way, I sure hope that Firefighter or VirusP or someone will test Rising. I trialed it & really liked it, but I am afraid to use an untested AV.

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To bellgamin from Firefighter!

Unfortunately it was disabled to check archived samples with Rising AV TRIAL, so let's see if VirusP in the future will have better results than these on 10-2003, Rising AV 2003 detected only 36.19 % of all kind of samples.

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=62&mnu=62

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. bellgamin

@Firefighter- Thanks!! I had not seen those 10-2003 data before. Good thing you put me onto them. Otherwise, I might have bought Rising (it's only $19.95).

5. ellison64

Hi bellgamin and firefighter .Im not sure why rising memory monitor interferes with those two process monitors but they certainly do on my machine.To over come this i just disable the memory monitor while i take readings.I wouldnt be to hard on rising over those statistics and av tests either.In practise rising has the best email scanner ive tried and has a good ability to remove "locked or in use files" that sometimes pop up.I notice after downloading the whole test results that there are many results that dont seem to to justice to many more well endorsed products.For instance according to the tests done out of 11909 trojan/backdoors tested TDS3 only detected 6719 of them ...a 56.42% detction rate of trojans ,well behind avast antivirus at over 75% detection.So please dont follow the "tests are the be all and end all " school of thought as there are many reasons to why an av would suit an individuals setup.
    ellison

6. westwind

westwind Registered Member

it cannot detect all the virus in ITW list

7. bellgamin

As of 10/30/04, the price has jumped to $39.95! Perhaps that is WHY they call it *Rising*. ;)

8. westwind

westwind Registered Member

rise->risingo_O :cool:

you may download

http://download.rising.com.cn/for_down/rav2005/rav.exe
    it is free for one mounth or longer(in cluding updats,and scaning archives)
    2005 version is coming so 2004 version is rising!

in fact,it WAS a very cheap one
    you may buy ,use, and updat to newer version FOREVER!!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  9. bellgamin

Even so, $40 is a VERY steep price for a relatively unproven AV.

10. ellison64

Hello bellgamin...
    I think the original price of 19.95 was a promotional price.I purchased it at that price and am completly happy with it (apart from the iarsn taskinfo and process explorer conflict)that is.I wouldnt say 39.95 is very steep though as its on a par with avast pro and a few other avs.It is relatively unproven over here i guess but it is apparently fairly popular in china and asia , and the rising corporation do seem to be activly involved in virus research with more commonly known avs here in the west like kaspersky etc......
    http://www.aavar.org/
    elison

11. bellgamin

@ellison64- I am happy for you that you are happy with Rising, & also that you got it at such a bargain price.

I do think that Rising's price is out of line considering that many premier AVs, with long-standing excellent reputations, cost less -- for instance: Command $19.95, DrWeb $29, F-Prot $29, NOD $39, MKS $29, BitDefender std $25, and so on.

I mention this from the standpoint that, if Rising is serious about getting established in markets outside of Asia, I doubt that they will do so when charging such a high price. Of course that's only my opinion & (as the saying goes) opinions are like posteriors -- everybody has one. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.