opinions please on security software loaded/over-kill

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by CamaroZ28, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CamaroZ28

CamaroZ28 Guest

hello all,

i posted on CamaroZ28.com and was immediately called a dumbass for having the following programs on my machine at home:

Trend Internet Security 2004
    Ad-Aware SE
    Spybot S&D
    SpywareBlaster
    SpywareGuard
    SpySweeper

here's the thread:
    http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310520

one poster who thought it was overkill says he has written keyloggers, so they are not completely uninformed. i also put in a good word for Wilders Security Forums. what do you think about the software loaded (i have WinXP) and about what they said? thanks again!

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Those programs are World Leaders in their fields, and are a really good thing to have. You may also want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger, and here for more discussions.

There is always going to be the odd mouth piece that will try to have you doubt your security. It is better to have a fortress than an open barn yard ;) :D

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

3. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi CamaroZ28, ;)

I think you posted this in the wrong section, so a Mod/Admin will surely move it to a more appropriate place.

Not an expert on those security things, but learning fast.
    From what I've seen in your list I would say that's a standard security equipment.

My programs are listed in my sig, but I also use the following:
    IE-Spyad
    Supertrick XG
    Safe XP
    Spywareblaster
    Spyware Doctor (until it expires)
    ZeroSpyware (until it expires)
    Giant Anti-spyware (recent acquisition)

Talking about an overkill that should do it, I think or maybe not. :D

Now let the experts have their say.

4. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Hello CamaroZ28

They don't seem particularly knowledgable or even polite at the thread you list. I wouldn't call your approach overkill, more that it's a bit uneven. You have a reasonably good AV, spyware is more than adequately covered, but you might want to think of adding an anti-trojan (you can use ewido for on-demand scanning free of charge), plus some generic protection such as Prevx (free) and/or Process Guard (there is a free version with limited features).

I don't know how good your firewall is; perhaps another poster will add an opinion. An alternative browser is also a good idea, Firefox is a popular choice.

There's a useful list of security applications here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=45284&page=1&pp=25

and an interesting discussion on security preferences here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=49928

That should get you started; reading around the forums is recommended :)

5. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

We're all quick off the mark today... :)

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I read the reply at your link and my conclusion is that that guy hasn't got a clue when it comes to security with a remark like that. You shoud just let remarks like that just slide on by and realize the source is lacking in knowledge.

7. O-taka

O-taka Registered Member

Thank you for the kind comments! You guys are great. I'll read those links. This forum has really helped me, it's always nice to be among nice people (they seem to be a bit hair-triggered over there) thanks again!

8. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I believe a properly configured firewall should be at the top of your list. If you are an experienced PC user, then almost any well-known FREE AV solution will suffice.

Depending on how much junks you download into your HD, you may need all or none of the other listed programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.