Best free firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by daf, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daf

daf Registered Member

I'm looking for the best free firewall software there is. After reading a few threads I can see that it's difficult to rate and say which is the best as you might like the interface more on some than others.

That really doesn't concern me too much. I'd like to know the most secure free firewall availble? I understand buying one is better but not wanting to go into too much detail for what it's for, it's not possible to buy one.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

In my opinion:
    Kerio 2.15
    then
    Sygate
    But, of course, the best thing to do is see what works best for you and your system.

3. Hi my friend, I think this free ones are very good:
    1.- Kerio 2.1.5 (with SSM or AbtrusionProtector)
    2.- Jetico (it has sandbox)

4. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

Jetico looks real promising and I agree it could be one of the best, but keep in mind that it's currently a beta and it may not be free forever.

5. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I 2nd the vote for Kerio

6. ZA 4.5. Free, simple, and it works right out of the box (download). Set it up and forget it. What more could you ask for?

7. daf

daf Registered Member

Why not Kerio 4 assuming I only want it for 30 days?

Is 4 better than 2.1.5 for just 30days?

Apart from a firewall, AV, what other software do I *really* need to stop persistant hackers?

Please reply!

daf :)

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Best freeware firewall about what?

GUI, protection, easy to use, resources or all of them?

It would be nice to make some difference here...

9. daf

daf Registered Member

To VaMPiRiC_CRoW

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm not a pro about firewalls, but if the ZoneAlarm Free have the same protection against the leak tests (Firewall Leak Tester) of the ZoneAlarm Pro, this should be the best freeware firewall in relation of protection...

The rest I don't think that exists a lot of differences...

11. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Kerio 4 has an additional security feature in that applications have to ask for permission before they can launch other applications, that's the same protection offered by SSM. The advantage of using Kerio 4 over another firewall + SSM is that you would then be able to run Prevx as well for added protection; Prevx and SSM have been known to conflict, so should not be run together.

The downside is that Kerio 4 runs at 20 mb. I wouldn't use it, but if you're looking for maximum security over a short period, why not.

BTW, I'm getting curious as to why the secrecy over your short-term security needs.

12. Capp

Capp Registered Member

13. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

cant believe nobodys mentioned outpost 1 (which is free) imho its second only to outpost pro

14. daf

daf Registered Member

Anyone know of a very secure ruleset for kerio 4?

15. MadBob

MadBob Registered Member

The latest Zone Alarm seems buggy and unstable. I have had to remove it from a clean XP2 install, kept failing to start and locking PC. Now using Outpost free and all's well.
    Bob

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I use Outpost 1 + router. Works for me.

17. captaincarl

captaincarl Guest

I have tried several. The least intrusive but powerful firewall is Sysgate pro version5.0. It has many features useful, like port scan detection, stealth mode browsing,NETBIOS,anti-IP spoofing,anti MAC spoofing, Dos protection etc. Too many too list here. You can also set up advanced firewall rules. Honestly, I would not trade my firewall any any other one...Tried at 15 before I bought it. There is a free version also, but limited on the features. Feel free to email me and discuss further
    Captaincarl
    lots_of ids@yahoo.com

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sygate is very good, but I wouldn't say it's the least "intrusive".. I've tried most of them also, and Sygate used the most CPU% of them all. It also used a fair amount of RAM as well.. That said, it IS a good firewall otherwise...

19. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I agree that it is not the least intrusive but I use it on my box because it seems to work best on my box. Advance rules are fairly uncomplicated to set up.
    I really like the new OP build and am taking a good look at it now. Seems to be very effective and light on resources, and so far no conflicts or bugs on my comp. May be switching soon.

20. daf

daf Registered Member

Anyone know of a very secure ruleset for kerio 4?

21. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi daf,

I'm afraid I am not going to be much help with rulesets, or Kerio firewall (I use Sygate myself), but you may be able to find some information on setting up rulesets for Kerio at that user forum:

http://forums.kerio.com/

Edit - I just went through some of the pages there and it looks like they have an on-line library for their firewall too:
    http://www.kerio.com/manual/kpf/en/

If you scroll down to System Security, they have Application Rules and also General Rules listed. Then the one below that there is a listing for Internal Firewall Rules with several more links where you might find what you need.

Hope that helps. :)

Regards,

snap

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  22. daf

daf Registered Member

Thanks snapdragin!

I'm quite lazy so if someone could just point me to a very secure ruleset for kerio 4 then it'd be awesome, else I might have to start reading!

23. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

LOL..well, I know what you mean, daf. Rules can get quite involved and do need to be set up correctly. I use Application rules because they're the easiest. :D It does help to have a router too. ;)

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable in rulesets will be able to give you a bit of a hand with Kerio.

Good luck!

snap

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

25. deceptionuk

deceptionuk Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.