TI8 Hangs in Restore Process!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pvsurfer, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Up to now, I've never had a need to restore my entire C-drive. Yesterday however, I noticed that my Windows (XP Pro - SP2) was corrupted in that I could not open a Print or Search dialog box. The first thing I tried was System Restore, but apparently the problem existed in all of the restore points I had.

I recalled that Windows was working well in this regard a week ago and I had created an image at that time, so I decided to restore it. Upon selecting last week's image of my C-drive as the image to restore and my C-drive as the volume I wanted to restore it to, TI8 informed me that the existing partitions would have to be deleted (which I selected), and it then recommended a reboot (which I selected). Upon rebooting, I again made the appropriate selections and the Restore Wizard poped-up a "Processing - Please Wait" box... The 'clock-like gizmo' started-out like it was indeed processing but then stopped, sittiing in the same position for over 30 minutes, so I decided the system was hung-up. I next tried to boot the system with my TI8 Rescue CD to attempt the restore and got the very same results! :eek:

I might add that I have always verified (checked) the images I have created, including the one in question... So much for relying on True Image!!! :mad:

2. Scopacetic

Scopacetic Registered Member

I suspect you have a disk controller that is not supported by your build of TI. There have been numerous threads about such problems, for example https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43425&highlight=hang. TI will work fine from within Windows, since it is using the drivers that Windows is using. However, the boot CD uses Linux and may not have the appropriate drivers or configuration. Technical support may be able to give you a link to an ISO that will work. Just be prepared to wait a long time for a response...

3. pvsurfer

First of all, thanks very much for the response... If that is the problem, Acronis should publish a list of disk controllers which are (or may be) unsupported by their Linux implementation... In my case, I certainly had a false sense of security in that ever since I bought TI (3 months ago), every one of my Create image tasks went smoothly and checked out perfectly! Until I actually attempted a Restore, I had no clue that it would not work when I most needed it... :mad:

Just in case Acronis is listening (and cares)... I'm using TI8 build 768. My C-drive is a WD360 (SATA) connected to an on-board Promise 378 disk-controller.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  4. Scopacetic

5. pvsurfer

Like others in that thread have asked... Where can I d/l build 773 when the latest build shown on the website is 771? ...and as others say, 771 doesn't work any better than 768 with the Promise 378! o_O

6. Scopacetic

Look at the top right of this forum for the link to private messages. It should say something like:

Welcome, pvsurfer.
    You last visited: Yesterday at 11:51 PM
    Private Messages: 1 Unread, Total 0.

7. tr8der

tr8der Registered Member

Hi-

Has this Promise 378/SATA issue been resolved? I'm running the same combination and I have the same hanging problem on "Restore image wizard"

I'm using the latest build of TI7.

THanks. Gordon

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Gordon

According to this <post> by Acronis Support, the problem has been fixed in TI 8 Build 774. As there is no mention of TI 7 Build 638 I can only assume the issue remains unresolved in that version.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.