suspicious power problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bethrezen, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi all

I'm wondering if anyone can help me track down the cause if this rather suspicious problem for some reason my computer keep turning its self off now this only started happening recently probably around the time we got broad band and I'm wondering if it could be a Trojan infection because even running my back up disk which I made with true image doesn't seem to help and as you can imagine what started as a minor curiosity has quickly lost its fascination and is becoming extremely troublesome

the powering down of my comp seems to happen at random times and I don't see any discernable pattern one other minor curiosity that I have however noticed is the now and then the mouse curser will move on its own now I always just put this down to some minor glitch with the computer maybe a minor hardware incompatibility or something as when i ran a trial version of Trojan hunter it didn't pick anything up but now with this random powering down of the comp I'm not so sure

now I though that it could just be the power management function in the control panel but that's set to always on and never power off the hard disk never go to stand by and never to turn off the monitor so unless that's gotten all messed up it must be soothing else

btw I'm running Windows 98se and I'm also using 98lite NAV NU SWS ZAF SB Spybot S&D Adaware

I also have Nero Irfanview M$ Works and true image installed and am using Firefox 0.10.1pr as my browser

if any of that info helps

any ideas anyone o_O coz this ones got me stumped

I have also just downloaded the latest version of hijack this and will shortly post both a HJT log and a start up just in case I’m missing anything

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Your power supply may be going bad. Happened to me.

3. Bethrezen

edited out HJT log, but left thread open as it may be solved by someone if a specific problem with PWS. ~ TAS

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2004
  4. Bethrezen

hi

Code:
    ronjor  	
    Your power supply may be going bad. Happened to me.
    when you say power supply what do ya mean ya mean the box the cable plugs in to and if so is there a way i can test to see is it is infact the power box thats goin bad

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Bethrezen. :)

Wilders no longer does HijackThis Logs as per THIS THREAD HERE UNLESS specifically asked for by a Mod or Spyware Fighter.

In that link you will find full explanation and another link giving you a choice of forums which still continue to do HJT logs.

Please me mindful of the rules and conditions set down by those other forums and read all requirements before posting a HJT log file, as you most certainly will be required to do some self help first, usually by running AdAware, Spybot, fully patched system, etc.

Usually an unsolicited HJT thread would be automatically closed, but you seem to have a specific problem, so shall leave thread open, but edit the HJT post, maybe someone can help further.

If not, then trying the link above for a HJT on another forum is still an option.

Cheers, TAS.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

In my case, it just quit. Turned off while I was on the computer.

As far as testing, I suppose a computer builder could test it for you.

Make sure it is free from as much dust as possible, etc.

Power supply failures are one of the most common problems with pc's.

This is just a suggestion. Your problem may not be related.

7. Bethrezen

hi

I was aware of the thread you mentioned and would normally adhere to such request but in this case the reason I posted a log is because adaware spybot and NAV aren't picking anything and I'm fairly sure my logs are clean but I just wanted to make sure

and to further make sure that my comp isn't infected with something that's not supposed to be there iv downloaded a free copy of TDS and am about to go to the TDS forum to request proper instructions in its set up and operation

8. Bethrezen

hi

Code:
    n my case, it just quit. Turned off while I was on the computer
    this is excatley whats happening to me im just on the compuer platying games of what ever and the comp just turns off

as for checking the box ill have a look at it later tomake sure its not dust bound

as for testing looks like that mat be out of the question as i dont know any computer builders oh well

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Bethrezen,

Just to clarify....when you say...."computer keep turning its self off"....do you mean it's as if someone pulled the AC power plug out of the wall or as if you had a sudden incoming AC power failure ?

Along the lines of the power supply....do you hear any sound @ the back of the PC that would indicate the power supply FAN is indeed running....provided this is a desktop\tower PC and not a portable\lap top ?

Have you checked all power cables(wall plugin, power center, back of PC.....etc).....to make sure one is not barely plugged in.

10. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Agree. Very likely cause. Might also consider CPU overheating.

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Good point and if when you reboot you can get into your BIOS setup....there may be a section dealing with what your present CPU temperature is.

12. Bethrezen

hi

when i say its turning its self off is as if some sort of safty mechenisam is cutting in and just cutting the power kind like when a fuse goes in a plug it just suddenley shuts down rigtht in the middle of what ever im doing in the last instance befor i came here i was playin X2 but its happened even when im not playing games

as to cpu over heat thats one posibility i had conciddered is there a way i can check to see if it is just over heating ?? also checked the BIOS setupn already that was one of the first things i checked coz i wanted to make suer there wasnt a predefined shut down set in there i didnt see one nore did i see any section dealing with the cpu temp

as to the cables everything is pluged in as it should be and the fans do apear to be working coz i can here that quiet lil humming noise that the fans make i did notice however that ist quiet dusty back there i'll have to give it a good clean

13. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

You could also check that the cables inside your plugs are secure....but if your fans are still going it's a fair bet your power pack is OK.... could quite easily be something burning out on your Mobo.....Oooooeeeerr! :doubt:

Cochise, :cool:

14. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Pop the case open and reboot it. Watch the fan over the heatsink/CPU. It needs to be spinning FAST. Check also the heatsink's connection to the CPU. It needs to be down TIGHT against the motherboard--not loose. If it wiggles, it's almost definitely an overheating CPU.

You might also check to make sure the heatsink itself isn't clogged up with dust. You can also blow out the power supply if necessary with some canned air designed for that purpose.

I use a vacuum inside mine occasionally, but there's a lot of debate on the safety of this, so I'd better issue a disclaimer: <---YOU USE A VACUUM INSIDE THE COMPUTER CASE AT THE RISK OF FRYING YOUR MOTHERBOARD WITH STATIC ELECTRICITY, OR OTHERWISE CAUSING GENERAL CALAMITY, WAILING, AND GNASHING OF TEETH.

;)

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

16. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I use a can of compressed air on mine. It works great to blow all the dust off heatsinks and sensitive components. It does make a dust cloud, but if you hold a vacuum nozzle about 6-8 inches away, it can clean up the dust cloud without damaging anything with static.

17. Bethrezen

hi all

i opened up my box last nite and it was very cloged with dust so now i cleand it all up and fingers crossed that should be the end of my trouble if however i still have problems ill be back thanks for ya answers

Blessed be

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.