Exclude file syntax

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Howard, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard

Howard Registered Member

I wish to exclude the following file from AMON I have tried C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk and I have tried c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\micros~1\network\connec~1\pbk\rasphone.pbk with absolutely no effect.

Could someone tell me the correct incantation to use.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

1. According to the naming conventions, c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\micros~1\network\connec~1\pbk\rasphone.pbk looks fine to me.
    2. Have you tried excluding both the long and short versions of the filename? It would seem redundant, but it did appear needed in this thread for example.

Blue

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

if you have more directories of which name commences with "microsoft", you might need to use micros~2, micros~3 etc. instead of micros~1

4. BlueZannetti

Good point Macros.

If you want a quick verify of what the DOS names are on your system, just download a utility like TrackerV3 (free for noncommercial home use) and march down the name path. The information under the General File Info tab provides the DOS filename at each step in the path. There are also shell extensions that will allow you to copy complete long/short path information to the clipboard (Ninotech Path Copy for example). Either approach yields the same info.

Blue

5. Howard

Howard Registered Member

I use Windows Commander which allows me to switch between long and short filenames and I took the DOS name and path from there. More importantly, shouldn't NOD32 accept the filename that it itself generates when using the exclude feature and not expect me - or anyone else - to engage in detective work, installing or using other programmes etc, etc . Frankly, I feel this exclude file/directory part of NOD32 is the worst of its type that I have encountered in any software, never mind a-v software. It is what I would expect to find in alphaware.

6. BlueZannetti

Since we're speaking frankly, the answer is, of course, yes - this is a detail that should be addressed immediately and for the reasons you note.

Blue

7. JBravo

JBravo Guest

Another way you might be able to see the long and short file names your system is using is to use WINFILE.EXE. It's a legacy file system manager that was included in all versions of Windows thru Winme and, I think, XP (not 100% sure about XP). The location on my Winme system is "C:\Windows\WINFILES.EXE". It may or not be installed by default.

8. JBravo

JBravo Guest

Correction: the location on my Winme system is "C:\Windows\WINFILE.EXE".
    Guess I'd better register for the forum so I can edit posts.
    Thanks.

9. Howard

Howard Registered Member

The problem is not that I cannot see the short file name/path: despite the absurdity of doing so on XP, I can do that readily enough via Windows Commander (Winfile doesn't exist, by the way, on XP). The problem is, first, that I should have to be grubbing about on XP in NOD32 with short file names/paths when there is a file/directory selector that uses long file names/paths and, second, that the short file name/path for the file in question simply does not work for me in NOD32, nor does the long file name path, hence my initial post, re what is the correct incantation/syntax. This is not the first time I have had problems excluding files and directories and I regard this part of NOD32 as a shambles that can only alienate new users, giving them the unfortunate impression that the programme is either too difficult to configure or broken in some way (recall Mele20's problem trying to exclude System restore files, did anyone actually work out the correct syntax and why on earth should it need to be worked out).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.