Future Changes to Nod32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Blackspear, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illuminati

illuminati Registered Member

I second the earlier suggestion that collapsible groups in a tree view be allowed within the Remote Administrator Console. It became apparent after I had the client rolled out to a couple of hundred workstations, that multiple configs would necessary. I realize that you can filter by groups, but when you are rolling out configuration changes to clients, it would be easier to do it correctly if they were in a tree type view. It is fairly easy (at least for me) to accidently roll the config out to workstations that shouldn't get it.

2. Diablito

Diablito Registered Member

Remote admin:
    I would love to see a tree structure in the remote admin, where I can define different server groups, place a number of servers in each group and a number of clients (or maybe sub-server groups and then clients) under each group/server.

Then I could start on the top of the tree and define settings for all servers/clients and work my way down to differentiate servergroups and even down to a single client (with the option on any level to lock the node to not inherit from the node above). And changes done to any servergroup should be pushed out to all the clients without the need to use a configuration task

I find the use of the .xml files and configuration tasks annoying and want it to be the property for the group :)
    Change the property and all sub-groups/clients that is not "locked" is automatically updated with the changes and then display a list of groups/clients that is locked and don't inherit your new changes
    (Maybe have an option to propagate to all or selected groups/clients)

I think this will make network administration of several locations/departments etc a lot easier!

3. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hi there,

here are my suggestion/comments/questions for the actual and feature Versions of NOD32.

I hope you (Eset) will implement the most or all :D

NOD32 V2 Version 2.12.3 (another client pc)

First an question: Does the Passwort-Protection of the NOD32 V2 System, protect NOD32 itself from changing settings/options by Viruses, Malware, Trojans, ..., etc., too? Or can these threads change the NOD32 System and Module settings without the password (if set and protected)?!

Security/Self-protection issues/related problems:

-If you start cmd.exe (win 2k or higher) and then type net stop "NOD32 Kernel Service" or net stop nod32krn, NOD32 Kernel Service is stopped and nod32krn.exe is unload and not reload again into memory..
    Like other people already wrote at the NOD32 forum at wilderssecurity, apps like KAV, have an protection, that not allowed such an procedure/command and say access denied if an user or the system attempt to stop the on-access auto-protection service..!
    I think, this should be the next step to be implemented in NOD32, so its harder to kill NOD32 on-access service from memory for script kiddies/maleware and so on!

-Another problem is, that there are no Program-Exit confirmation or password confirmation (if set) is done, if you kill the nod32kui.exe/"nod32krn service" from task manager (MS Windows or any other..) or command utilities..
    If you exit/terminate the nod32kui.exe/NOD32 Control Center Task/Process within the NOD32 Control Center, there is an password confirmation dialog/window (if an password is set..) (without entering the correct password you can't exit the NOD32 Control Center), but there are no confirmations during the task manager (MS Windows or any other..) or command utility kill process, thats strange, isn't it?!!

Thats an security problem, so please write/code new routines that fix that bad cases (NOD32 Kernel Service termination problem and NOD32 Control Center termination problem..), thx!

-Integrate an thorough "pre-setup" Memory, Startup and Computer Services Anti-Virus Scan (no full scan or scan of folders, only startup locations/files, services files and thorough Memory..) into the NOD32 Setup Installation, so that you can to be sure that no Virus is active in the RAM or Startup locations before you install NOD32..!

-Add "JPG" and "JPEG" File-Extensions as default(Standard) to AMON, IMON and NOD32 Scanner, so that NOD32 can detect JPG-malicious code as default/Standard!

Comfortable handling/GUI related suggestions:

-Ignore Button in NOD32 Antivirus System Warning Window, that add files to the AMON ignore list (with password protection, so if you click on the Ignore Button, an warning dialog is displayed, that ask "Want you really add this file to the AMON ignore list?" and if you click "Yes" then NOD32 ask you for the password (if set) and add the file to the AMON ignore list, if the password is correct..). So you don't must open the NOD32 control center, open AMON setup and search for the file, that you want to add to the AMON ignore list..!

If you (Eset) think, that this is not good for beginners users, make this "Ignore-Button" in the System Warning window optional and turn it off as default. So beginners don't see this Button, but Advanced or Profi Users can enable this Button in (for example) the NOD32 Control Center->System->Systemsettings->Setup window..

-Add this Ignore Button in NOD32 Scanner (on-demand) Report-Window Context-Menu, too!

-Add context help and/or mouse over Tool-Tip Help in all NOD32 Setup/Setting-windows, for all Modules and NOD32 Scanner Window. So that you can click on the question mark "?"-Button beside "Minimize", "Maximize" and "Close" Button on the top right of the windows and then on an option/setting and context help is shown ;-)

-Give the "In depth Analyse" in the Control Center->Scanner an separate Profile, that you can edit with the NOD32 Scanner Profile Editor Window..So that you have 4 Standard Profiles: Control Center Profile, Standardprofile, Standardprofile for the Windows Explorer Context Menu and the new one Control Center "In depth Analyse" Profile.

-Make it possible (again) to cure in archives with NOD32 Scanner (on-demand)..(like KAV 4.5/5.x it can..)
    So if you set "Ask user" in "Actions-Panel/Window" for Archives in the NOD32 Scanner and scan archives that are infected, with the "Scan+Action"-Operation, you are able to select Clean, Rename, Delete actions from the dialog. (At the moment you can only select "No Action" from the Action-Dialog if an infection is found in an archive that was scanned with the "Scan+Action" operation in the NOD32 Scanner! (The other actions/operations are greyed out..!))
    You can't let NOD32 do any other action as "No Action" for archives, but in the Beta 5 of NOD32v2 and in the help-documentation for the NOD32 Scanner it is written that the Actions "Delete" and "Rename" are available for Archives!
    If there are problems exists with NOD32 Scanner working in archive-files, please fix that and improve these feature/operation, thx!

-Let the user decide, how the Quarantine-Option/Operation is handled by NOD32. The most or all Anti-Virus Programs use the Quarantine to give the user the chance to save an infected/suspected file before clean or delete it. And furthermore to give the user the chance to isolate an file for later analyses or submitting it to an Anti-Virus company. So that the file is securely saved and no one can execute or access it coincidental.. (At the moment the Quarantine operation in NOD32 only copy the file to an directory/folder instead of moving them to an directory and scramble/encrypt them..That is not secure enough because the infected or maybe infected file is still located at the "old" place and accessible and executable by the system or any user!)
    So make it possible, that the user can set in NOD32 Control Center->System->System-Settings->Setup what the default Quarantine operation do(copy or move the file(s)..).

-Make it possible to submit an quarantined file to Eset for further analyses..

-If you deactivate the AMON Setup Option "Manuelles Anhalten zulassen" the AMON status Panel/Window shows the greyed out Button and Text as "Starten"->"Start residenter Schutz", but the text and Button Name should be named "Entladen"->"Beenden residenter Schutz"..! So if the Option "Manulles Anhalten zulassen" is deactivated, the Status Panel/Window shows the wrong button name and description.
    Btw the german spelling of that is bad, because is should be renamed from "Start residenter Schutz" into "Residenter Schutz starten" or "Startet den residenten Schutz" and "Beenden residenter Schutz" into "Residenter Schutz beenden" or "Beendet den residenten Schutz"..!

-Improve the caching option/operation of any Browser with IMON. Because some files downloaded with IMON into the active mode, are downloaded completely again and again with IMON also they are exists/downloaded already! So if you load something again in an browser you have to wait until NOD32 IMON download it again and you have nothing from the caching feature of any browser like the MS IE. Thats bad, useless and very uncomfortable, so please improve that, thx!

-If you deselect "Alle Dateien prüfen"/"Check all files" in the IMON Setup->Scanner Setup->Erweiterungen(Extensions)-Window/dialog, IMON still scans all files like GIF etc. also if the file-extension isn't on the file-extension editor window! I don't want, that IMON scan all files and so I have add "JPG" and "JPEG" extension to the list and deactive the option to scan all files, but if that setting don't work correctly, it is bad and useless!
    Please fix that, thx.

-The Button Name "Schließen" in the Details Dialog/Window of an IMON File Download should be renamed to "Verstecken", because you don't close/end an Download, you simple hide the Detail Download Dialog/Window..(German Version)

-If you click on the Button "Stop" in the NOD32 Scanner window during an Virus-Scan there is no Warning Dialog/Window-Message displayed as it was in previous Versions.. Only if you click on the "Beenden"-Button there is shown an Warning Dialog/Window, but for the "Stop"-Button not and the Scan stops immediately :( (German Version)
    Please integrate the Warning message "Want you really STOP the current Scan Process?"/"Wollen Sie wirklich den Scan stoppen?", if you click on the STOP-Button, again! thx.

-Change the NOD32 Update Module/Process/Operation in that no update attempt is done, if you Inet connection is available/established. It is a simple way, because you need only configure/code the Update module so that he ping an website, like www.nod32.com, www.eset.com, www.google.com, ..., etc. and if the ping fails, there is no inet connection available/established and the NOD32 Update Module don't need to attempt to connect to an Update-Server.
    I suggest that, because NOD32 often attempt to update itself, also if no i-net connection is available/established and sometimes NOD32 complains about this and said, that the Update Server isn't available or so..(a comparable error message/dialog)
    And this is stupid, bad, useless and irritate/tease me :p

-You should code NOD32 Scanner so that he can read the startup locations (registry, startmenu, ini-file, Computer Services, ..., etc.) and Mail Boxes/Databases locations (like Outlook Express Email Database location..) out and present/display these location categories in the NOD32 Scanner->Objects->Files and Folders->Add->Add objects window/dialog. So that the beginner/novice can simply add the startup locations category (stand for all startup locations available on the computer summarized) and/or the Mail Box location(s) category. (NOD32 can read out the locations from the registry and the applications like Outlook Express..)
    I have it explained a little bit complicated, but I hope you understand me ;-)
    If not, in KAV 5.x on-demand scanner, you can select these, too!

-You should give the user the control to set in NOD32 Scanner options or Profile Editor what Scan Action/Operation (only Scan or Scan+Action) is done as default/standard if the context menu Profile is loaded respectively the NOD32 Scanner is started to scan the selected objects with the context menu in the Windows-Explorer.
    So that you can set that the Profile "Standard for context menu scan" scan in Mode "Only Scan" or "Scan+Action", if you want..

-In NOD32 Control Center->System->System-Settings->Setup->"Meldungen"/"Notifications" you can set that notifications are send via SMTP (Email) to an specified Email Address. But you can't test, whether the Email transfer function correctly and without any problem..
    So please integrate an new Button named "Test Email Transfer" or so that send an test email with an test message, etc. to the specified email addresses and so you can check whether all is right and correct or any mistake is done.
    Because if an infection is occurred and the Email notification don't work, is terrible..!

-In the same Panel/Window there is an german spelling mistake. The Button under "Erweitert"/"Advanced" is named "Passwort ändern", but the function of this button don't change a Password, but opens an advanced Dialog/Window with more options/settings. So the Button must renamed to "Einstellungen" or "Setup" how it is written and displayed in the german help-documentation ;-)

-Integrate the ability that NOD32 Scanner do always the same Action for the same file type from now on (in the "Scan+Action" scanmode..), if selected..
    So that you have the possibility to select in the Actions/Operations window/dialog an specified action and mark a new Option named "always do this action for the same file type" and NOD32 Scanner do always the triggered action like delete, rename or clean, etc. (if possible) for the same file type until the triggered action like delete, rename, clean, ..., etc. isn't possible no more. Then the NOD32 Scanner scanmode "Scan+Action" display the Actions/Operations dialog/window again and said that the triggered action isn't possible and you must select another (because the triggered action is greyed out, already ^^) ;-)
    This would be a cool feature, so please implement :p

-The Email Settings at NOD32 ControlCenter->Imon->Setup->Erweitert(Advanced)->Setup->Aktionen(Actions) (Email) don't work!
    I set that IMON clean automatically infected Emails and if fail, delete them automatically..But this setting don't work, because if Virus/Infections are detected by Imon in Emails, the "ask user" dialog is displayed/shown! :(

Other problems:

-If you have 2 or more HDDs in your PC and the second one, or any other as the first one, is formated with few partitions, but without an boot partition or boot sector (active partition..), NOD32 Scanner complain about this and give an error in the Report Panel/Window out, that NOD32 can't access the bootsector or bootrecord of the 2. HDD :(. (Or a comparable message..)
    Thats bad and make unsure beginner/novice users, because they think anything is wrong with their second HDD bootsector/-record, but that is not true! A wrong and trouble making error message, please fix that, thx.

Other suggestions:

-Let the NOD32 Setup Installation create the default "Quarantine"-Folder "infected" in the NOD32 Installation-Folder. So that the Registry entry don't link/point to an Folder that don't exists..

-Add Version Information and so on to the executables of NOD32, like nod32.exe, nod32krn.exe and nod32kui.exe. (With firm info, Copyright, File Information, Description, etc..) So that beginners can better classify/identify these files in the Task-Manager or any other help-tool that analyse the running applications and services and show you the collected information about that.

-Add a "Digital Signature" to the executables of NOD32 (setup file, too). So that the users can verify that the files are not corrupted/changed/manipulated and proof that they come from Eset (Can be verified with the certificate..like it Skype and many other companies does..).
    (btw. I don't know whether the the problem with NOD32 AV installed and running and simultaneous running Skype is solved.. (100% CPU load problems, etc. noticed in "known problems in skype"..) At the client System, there are no such problems, only IMON are being disabled by another application, but I don't know, whether this skype is..)

Help file/documentation(German):

-In the help-documentation/file for AMON is no information about the AMON setting "Lade residenten Virenschutz dynamisch" and "Antivirus-Datenbank unmittelbar nach dem Abschluss des Downloads der Updatedateien aktualisieren" on the "Security"-Panel/Window.

-In the help-documentation/file for AMON is no information about the AMON setting "Laufzeitkomprimierte Dateien" on the "Methods"-Panel/Window.

-I miss an "Help"-Button in DMON Setup. :p

-In the help-documentation/file for DMON is no information about the DMON settings "Objekte"->"Komprimierte Dateien" and "Archive" on the "Setup"/"Systemeinstellungen"-Panel/Window.

-I miss an "Help"-button in the IMON Setup, there is no "Help"-button on any IMON Setup Panel/Window! :p

-In the help-documentation/file for IMON is no information about the IMON setting "Automatisches Erkennen der HTTP-Kommunikation auch an anderen Ports" on the "HTTP"-Panel/Window.

-There is no help-documentation/file for the "Scanner Setup" in IMON Setup..!

-There is too few information in the help-documentation/file about the IMON setup settings in the "Erweitert"-Panel/Window!

-In the help-documentation/file for the NOD32 Scanner is no information about the NOD32 Scanner Status Window/Panel Button (Control Center) "Intensive Analyse".

-The Hint in the help-documentation/file for the NOD32 Scanner for the "Report"-Panel/Window is old and not up to date.
    It is written that you can right click with your mouse on an infected object entry in the Report and then you can select "Clean"/"Säubern" from the context menu, but this work only, if the file/object can be cleaned.
    This is wrong!
    1. The context menu has no Entry with "Clean"/"Säubern", but "Objekt löschen". As I already said above, it is incorrectly named/translated.
    2. It works always and an Dialog/Window with further/more options/actions is displayed instead of only cleaning or deleting the selected entry in the Report..
    These two things must revised!

-In the help-documentation/file for the NOD32 Scanner is no information about the Setting for "Laufzeitkomprimierte Dateien" and "E-Mail-Dateien" on the "Setup"-Panel/Window.

-I miss a "Help"-button in the "Editor Dateinamens-Erweiterungen".

-The spelling "Editor Dateinamens-Erweiterung" is bad german and should renamed into "Editor der Dateinamens-Erweiterungen" or "Dateinames-Erweiterungen Editor"..

-There is too few information in the help-documentation/file about the System-Settings in the "Remote Control"-Panel/Window!

I don't know whether in the english Version of (the) NOD32/NOD32 help documentation are (correct) informations about all these options..

--> (for German Version only) <--

-Rename the text in the Context Menu in NOD32 Scanner->Report Window "Objekt löschen" in "Objekt säubern" or so, because "Objekt löschen" means, that you delete the selected object, but if you click on "Objekt löschen" in the Context Menu, NOD32 don't delete the selected object (only), NOD32 displays an dialog with many actions like Rename, Clean and of course delete and so on. And so the spelling ("Objekt löschen") is incorrect!

This is only for the german Version of NOD32, because in the english version, the spelling of this Context Menu entry is correct! (Translation mistake, I think..)

thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

4. rabmail

rabmail Registered Member

When I read this I could not believe it, so I tried it and sure enough the services just shut down. To me this is a major security issue and should be corrected immediately. As you say KAV will not allow this to happen.

I hope Eset will do something to protect these services as a matter of urgency.

Dick

5. Alec

Alec Registered Member

In my humble opinion, it's not as big an issue as iNsuRRecTioN would have you believe. As far as I know, nod32krn.exe can really only be shutdown from an account that already has Administrative privileges; and if you are running an as Admin, malware will pretty much be able to do anything anyway. If you try to do as iNsuRRecTioN says from a non-Administrator account, you will see something like the following from a command window:
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Alec>net stop nod32krn
    The requested pause or stop is not valid for this service.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2191.

C:\Documents and Settings\Alec>
    And if you try to end the nod32krn from Taskmgr, then you will see something like the screen below.

Attached Files:

6. rabmail

So you mean that if I am logged in as an Administrator then there is no protection with NOD and it can stopped anytime with malware and I am completely unprotected. Given that I have to frequently work logged in as an Administrator, this makes NOD useless for my work.

I just removed NOD and reinstalled KAV 5 WS and while still logged in as Administrator, I tried to shut it down from Task Manager. It refused to allow me to shut it down.

So I have to agree with iNsuRRecTioN's opinion that it is a significient issue. I love NOD but this is a major issue to me and that is why I can't live with it.

Dick

7. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Hm, this is what happens when I try this out on an administrators account:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXXXX>net stop nod32krn
    The requested pause or stop is not valid for this service.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2191.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXXXX>

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The NOD32 kernel service is protected against killing the same way as some other competitives.

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Same here.

10. rabmail

Agreed that it is protected in Net Stop, and this is comforting but it can be killed in Task Manager with no problem, whereas KAV cannot be. Now I have no idea if Malware can duplicate the actions of Task Manager. Perhaps Marcos or a more knowledgable forum member can clarify this point.

Dick

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Would you please confirm you're using NOD32 2.12.3 or the new beta? Because however I try I cannot kill it from within the task manager :)

12. rabmail

Marcos, it's nice to see your prompt replies, really appreciate it. I am using the new Beta 2.5. I just worked out what I am seeing in Task Manager. It appears to be killed but in reality it just moves in the Task Manager listing. The attempted action to kill it causes it to move based on the sort order in Task Manager. Because it disappeared, I mistakenly thought it was gone completely and did not look further. My mistake - sorry.

Now I can sleep peacefully again.

Dick

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yes the nod kernel in the task manager can not be killed if you try to dhut it down it will just restart itself in a new location. i have tried this already and feel very comfortable knowing this. just so a lot of you know we nod users are constantly beeing bashed on so many other forums. especially dsl reports they are talking quite a bit of the new beta being terrible but i completly disagree!!!!

14. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Well, first as others have pointed out, I guess I was wrong and NOD32 does attempt to protect it's process even from an Administrator account. However, while that's all well and good, I still see that protection as little more than a placebo... perhaps even worse. Let me explain. If malware can execute on your machine with Administrator privileges then said malware is also likely capable of installing kernel mode driver level software, and such drivers have free run of the PC. So, unless your process protection also protects against the installation of kernel mode drivers then I have my doubts about its true effectiveness in this day and age of increasingly sophisticated malware and rootkits. If you are serious about wishing to protect your key processes, then I would definitely suggest a 3rd party product designed specifically for that purpose, like Process Guard, which also includes checks on the installation of kernel mode drivers as well as wide variety of other, alternative methods of process termination.

Now, why did I say a middle-ground level of protection could possibly be worse? Because, if I did have some malware make it on to my machine undetected while I was running as Admin and it tried to disable NOD32... I, personally, would rather let it do so. Why? Well, 1) for it to have gone undetected by AMON it would have to be unrecognized malware and so the continuance of the NOD32 process is of little consequence for said malware, and 2) at least I'm rather likely to notice after a period of time the complete shutdown of the nod32krn service process. I would prefer to have some sign of malware, like the absence of nod32krn, than to falsely think I was secure and nod32krn was still running and not protecting me either because the signatures were not yet defined for this culprit or because the malware was incapable of turning off nod32 and yet was still attempting to actively carry out whatever other payload it harbored.

I choose to run as Administrator very infrequently on my PC. I am always aware of the possibility of serious malware compromise while running as Admin. Personally, I think people should be consciously aware of the risks of running as Admin. One mistake as Admin and your PC could be toast. That is a true statement and people should not be lulled into thinking they are completely safe simply because a process has a few termination avoidance tactics, whether that's NOD32, KAV, or even Process Guard.

15. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

not sure if this is a beta issue, or just a future enhancement request...

Running my first FULL, DEEP, every option maxxed out scan with 2.5b2 on a machine with only a 20Gb boot/windows partition - only 900Mb of space available on the disk - full scan fails when attempting to scan a tar archive of CD isos - can't expand them, so I ended up aborting the scan... hmmm... not good...

So my request is really to ask for a temp-file location (to be used when expanding archives) - I have a number of machines where the windows %TEMP% isn't going to support the expansion of the multi-gb files stored on the machines, but most of these machines have additional drives with plenty of disk space on them.

hth

Greg

16. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

17. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Hello Eset people, would it be possible to include a fix that would enable Nod32 to "stamp" the mail once only instead of twice as shown in attachment.
    I know this is because I have Firetrust Benign. ;)

Attached Files:

18. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

You can do that by yourself - set benign to check on port 9110 and set your pop3 port to 9110 - that way benign checks it, hands it over to nod and you are set.

Ruben

19. manOFpeace

Hello tosbas, that would be just too handy. See attachment;

Attached Files:

20. tosbsas

Have you somehow made you host file write protect?? Some antispyprograms will do that. Mine looks like that

127.0.0.1 localhost

# Begin B9
    127.98.9.2 pop.xxx.net.b9
    127.98.9.3 pop.xxx.com.b9
    127.98.9.1 pop3.xxx.com.b9
    # End B9

Second: the 9110 goes on the first screen of B9, not at the individual accounts screen!!!

Ruben

21. manOFpeace

tosbas, have I to change the entries in MS Outlook as well to 9110.
    I'm trying to be careful here, for me this is soft ground!! ;)

22. tosbsas

yes of course - this way outlook gets the mails :)-)

By the way if you want to do this faste - tosbsas AT gmail DOT com

Ruben

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2005
  23. gearscout

gearscout Registered Member

Perhaps I'm in a minority, but...

I would like to see an administrator version geared to the small home network users who want to make sure their kids' computers were up-to-date and whether they had encountered viruses.

Obviously, I would like it to be sold at a lower price...for fewer than 10 max. users.

While a "crippled" version like that isn't a priority, or even a consideration, for most of the corporate users weighing in here, it would target a growing market of home networks that need unified AV protection...that can be monitored.

Now, the EASY solution from the network supervisor's position (Dad) would be one that is web-based. But the NOD32 RAC does work well.

Thanks for listening!

Cheers,

24. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I second gearscouts suggestion, to along with some type of pricing for a family pack with somewhere around 2-5 licenses/machines similar to Outpost's family pack.

25. manOFpeace

Got it sorted tosbas, thanks a million for your help. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.