Cookies and Cache

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by BrainWarp, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

Re: Is ewido reputable ?

Well for secuity purposes i delete all cookies and cach from my browser at night before i shut computer down.It is a pain sometimes to retype my name and password in--but owell--my wife can be a pain sometimes .but i deal with it-- :cool:

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I feel you man, I feel you :D

3. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

If you shut your computer down then why does it matter if you delete cookies and cache? Also, what are the security purposes? hehe, I hope I don't appear the noobie because maybe I should already know this.

4. Infinity

why you would appear the noobieo_O never a noobie for asking things imho.

there are tools that do this automatically and cleaning your temporary internet files (cache) can be a security measure if you ask me. for cleaning spyware it sure can help if you clean them. and cookies... a lot of discussion bout cookies, but if someone doesn't like cookies...I like them but then again: I am a real cookiemonster :D

5. Infinity

a little bit off topic I see now...oepsie daisy

6. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Sorry about the OT - just a statement: I still fail to see the purpose of deleting cookies if you are going to shut down your pc anyway and I still do not know what "security purposes" - I suppose I will hit the search button now. :)

7. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

Well there are some evil cookies out there that you really don't want to keep around for your computer to snack on :)

8. Infinity

I can follow but there are some advantages as well bout temporary internet files and if you don't have spyware aboard I don't see what advantage you can have by deleting the cache of your IE/ffx

and cookies (except spyware/tracking cookies but then we have our warning system beeping if we scan with adaware/spybot/spysweeper) they don't harm that bad, I don't want them either but they sure are not all that bad.

9. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

If I may respectfully comment:

Define Computer Security: (not really necessary LOL)

There is a much broader meaning to the term computer security than is being mentioned about town lately.
    FE: Cookies: of course you already know what cookies do.....but..
    Cookies left on the computer is a tell-tale sign of where the User has been......cookies are a real snitch! As are many other things within the computer.

Computer Security....is ever so much more than deleting a few cookies........to some it entails an entire world of security....then kind of which is rarely spoken of publically these days......today its all about spyware remover toys.......
    some Users.......Clean and Wipe their computers each night....some even a couple of times a day and at night..............many Users apply encryption...etc.....an Computer "locks" come into play.
    This is not ment to be a lesson in computer security....it is ment to say:
    """IF YOU TALK THE TALK..THEN WALK THE WALK"""
    You...and only you can decide how far to take the security issue....there are still a few members here at the forum who understand the "OLD" meaning of computer security......maybe its time for a real barn storming...get down...discussion on "real" computer security...........anyone feel up to that..............(I don't have either the trime or interest)....

10. Infinity

DCS?? (lol, I hope you don't mean that, otherwise you are correct bout tds-3 and pg together offer a huge amount of security these days...)

exactly true but I rather have a tracking cookie like passport then a variant of coolwebshredder on board...
    (rather have nothing on my machine :D )

exactly, so if someone wants to scan with adaware everyday, merging few hosts together, using blocklistmanager and protowall, tiny and pg together, that would be his own right to do so.

but to be honest I do not get were you are going so maybe some clarification would be nice...

11. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

INF

( Can only give brief comment) Most defintely you are absolutely correct in that ITS YOUR CHOICE!!!
    Where is going.....The programs you named are all good programs for what they are meet to do. They offer security in relation to a particular field or two. They do not cover the entire field of security.
    Lets say you don't want anyone entering your computer....simple passwords can be bypassed....so, what now, what do you do...what to you use......
    What do you use TO PREVENT the install of keyloggers....not just advising you..but prevention (internal keyloggers)
    An your information..whatever it may be....how is that being protected....encryption perhaps..ok, how strong...can it be defeated etc..
    This could go on and on.......an everyone really would need to comment to get this somewhere.......
    Total computer security......is REAL SECURITY.....

You mention allowing "some" cookies......an that is completely your rightous choice.......the choice is always yours.........hope this gives you an idea of where the post was going......if not perhaps someone can offer theit thoughts.......I've been awake over 24 hours...kinda tired....

12. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

INF

LOL...oh my, no I didn't actually mean for anyone to really DEFINE security.......good golly miss molly........that wold take forever plus two days and cause major arguments.....LOL

13. Infinity

that is why you call yourself snowguy I suppose :D

there is no such thing as REAL INTERNET SECURITY if you want to go that way. when something is created by someone the same guy could beat it over and over if you ask me.

and we shall allways be a step to late and they will be a step a head.

cookies,...strange thing I am thinking now but I refuse to get paranoid though :D I am comming from too far to get paranoid from some cookies. in some other context I would say eat them things but like I said, just thinking... :D

14. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I wouldn't dare speak for snowy, but I will tell you what I think he might mean by his post......

For some, "computer security" is about keeping out viruses and cookies that track, and the many other things that warn us to malware. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that if that's as far as you want to take it.

However, there is another side to "computer security" that has to do more with a "security lifestyle" than with the things mentioned in the paragraph above. It takes a broader view of the word "security" -- and actually is just another component of living a life of privacy and security in other areas.

Examples:

There is a heavier emphasis on data protection and the use of encryption.

There is an interest in preventing prying eyes - within the household or from the government - from knowing what one has done on their computer and where one has visited on the web.

It includes the using of encryption software that works and will prevent any intrusion into your documents, and not just encryption software that is "easy-to-use" and has a nice interface. The biggest difference here is in knowing (and at least an interest in knowing) the difference between the two.

A security lifestyle applied to your computer would include regular regimens of secure practices that many would find "paranoid"......wiping disk space with correct algorithms that will prevent the recovery of deleted files, the use of encrypted partitions and/or containers in which to keep personal and sensitive data, the use of boot locks that prevent system intrusion (or at least notifies you that your security has been compromised), the use of proxies, tunneling, etc. to browse the web in relative anonymity, the use of faux identification in all aspects of computing, the list is long.

Unless one has a real interest in the "security lifestyle" and a desire to keep a low-profile (for whatever reason) many of these things will hold no interest. But to those of us who live this lifestyle - there is no other way. We feel less paranoid than we feel realistic about the world and those that govern it. We feel that anything and everything we do, is nobody's business but our own - and we take steps to make sure that we do everything possible to make that a reality.

One is no "better" than the other. But, snowy's point is that "computer security" means different things to different people. I have heard some describe it as a "hobby"....where the more serious side of those living a security-minded life would call it a way of life. Again, with the computer being only one aspect of the lifestyle.

Snowy, if I have misread what you were attempting to say - my apologies. But, I think I am pretty close and if you're still around after my post, please feel free to clarify and/or add to my thoughts.

All the best!

15. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

INF

Good comment....nope, I am not going to reply on it..instead, would prefer to see others give their opinions.....after all..its all about communicating.......caring and sharing.....does take some getting use to..but it does work.......
    I noticed a person NIC at the bottom....a truely great expert on encryption.....maybe he will drop in..,......
    Of course everyone should express their honest thoughts......just as you are INF.........

16. Infinity

Thanx Snowman and luv2bsecure, do you mean safe hex??

17. luv2bsecure

Snowy, I just now realized that your response was to Infinity. I would like to hear if I was pretty close to your thinking on this in my post above. I think it is very important. If for no other reason than some might understand some us a little better.

18. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

LOV2B

Old Friend so good to see you..........an oh you said it so very well...thank you ever so much........(my brain is totally asleep..LOL)

Yes, most defintely its a lifestyle.....an so many have been mis-led into thinking that "its just to much bother"........

TheSnowGuy/The Snowy Snowman

19. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

LOV2B

Most defintely I fully agree with each word you posted....my friend you are one of the very few persons I completely and fully respect......and admire for your wisdom.....

TheSnowGuy

20. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

This would make a good thread by itself. Something like: What does Computer Security mean? Like a general overview with nothing too specific.

21. luv2bsecure

You are too kind, my friend. I appreciate your nice words. From way back (as in years) I remember feeling as if we were kindred spirits. To others reading these posts that would like a good introduction to the total security lifestyle, I would highly recommend a book by a man I have had the pleasure of meeting - and he is as good as they come:
    How to Be Invisible: The Essential Guide to Protecting Your Personal Privacy, Your Assets, and Your Life (Revised Edition)
    by J.J. Luna
    The revised edition is important as it was written after 9/11.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312319061

If it all sounds too "James Bond"-like, well, it is! The closest thing to one living the lifestyle would be those risking their lives in the shadows of espionage, where security ( or lack thereof ) means life or death.

22. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

DEV

Yes, it certainly would.......care to open one?

Dev, my friend there is so much more about security than is talked about these days........its not all about spyware remover toys that remove some ninny spyware...oh no....its so much more. Sure, Adawear and Spybot are should have tools....but remember LAYERED SECURITY.....the meaning of which has been lost...or so it seems.
    Lov2B is excellent.....others may drop in.....

23. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

LOV2B

We have long been of the same spirit my dear friend...an yes, I know the writer's works.....
    There was a time when the security community was as a family....today the community has drifted.......the newbees are being mis-led.......an its they who have more to lose.....who have more at risk.......an I can only hope that something..or someone....can awaken them......soon!

An yes....kindred spirits indeed.....

24. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

LOV2B

well..its unfortunate....as you can see there are no response on this security subject.......could be no one is interested.....could be no one knows the questions to ask..............
    but whatever the case.....I had already decided to go about my business an leave such matters to others.........just as so many in the privacy community has already done.
    Once I settle in.......I'll drop you an e mail with my e mail address....also need to drop Spy1 my address.........its been so nice to share with you again Lov2......you take good care of yourself.......you have been much appreciated over the years.............wishing you always the very best

Your Friend

TheSnowGuy/ The Snowman

25. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

No worries SnowGuy,

I won't forget this important idea. I will start something up once I come up with the right questions.

Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.