RPC?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by erikguy, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Hello all, I seem to have a problem after installing SP2 (surprise, surprise). I want to install drivers for my motherboard chipset (using the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility) but when I start the installer I get this message. Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

erikguy, hi :)

Just a guess here... is that the Remote Procedure Call service.. check, see if it's disabled in your Services... [do not use MSCONFIG to alter Services, Control Panel/Adminstrative Tools/Services]

Only guessing :)

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

3. erikguy

Yeah it's on. I left it on cuz I thought I remembered it being a necessary service of Windows but it's strange... I just went through all my started services and Windows claims that NONE of them depend on another to start!! Now I know that's not normal. I'm pretty sure almost everything is dependent on that RPC service. Another thing I noticed is that before I installed Service Pack 2 I had NO instance of svchost.exe in the Task Manager log in as "Network Service". I only had three instances running and now I have four. What's also peculiar is that all my connections in my Network Connections folder are gone. And I can't create one, but I can get online just fine. Hmm... this one's really got me stumped....

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

Maybe it is an idea to have a look on the site of your mobo vendor if there is a patch regarding to SP2. I had a similar thing with my AV.

Gerard

5. erikguy

Unfortunately I can't find any updates for my motherboard as of this moment.... Hey, so how often are BIOS updates released anyway? Can anyone tell me?

Besides, I'm pretty sure it's a software problem. My antivirus doesn't do a mem scan anymore and the quickscanner doesn't scan in subfolders anymore, that's just something else I noticed that I thought might be of useful information or an indicator of some sort. Thanks for the suggestions.

6. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi ericguy, probably stating the obvious but as you have XP how about Restore.....or uninstall SP2 and try again?.....I bet you've already tried that eh?..... :D

Cochise, :cool:

7. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Do you have the DCOM Server Process Launcher service set to automatic or at least running? I had some installs abort with the same error (back when I was running SP2 release candidates) until I started that service.

Nick

8. erikguy

Dang, Nick, you're good!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.