TDS3 doesn't detect Spector Pro 5

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Sfax, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sfax

Sfax Guest

How come TDS doesn't detect Spector Pro 5 keylogger?

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:D are you talking about those spywares and trojans companys sale to spy on there employes and spouses

i seen a number of new spyware companys opening up shop and saleing trojans or spyware to spy on people

wondering if these one of them

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Sfax, Commercial key loggers may not always be spyware as such.
    DCS will have to answer from their point of view on this particular program.

Pilli - Enjoy your weekend

4. controler

controler Guest

For those companies that refure to detect commercial keyloggers, you and always try out Anti-Keylogger found at

http://www.anti-keyloggers.com

Let us know how it works for you.

Bruce

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi controler, Don't think it is a mater of refusal more a commercial decision. Buying the legitimate program and then interferring with it in any way may break the licence agreement which in turn could be deemed illegal.
    It is a very difficult area that's for sure.

6. Mr.Blaze

:rolleyes: i dont know guys i had many of times the chance to snag many diffrent comerchial spyware.

really cool ones that could hide in a mp3 or video or even jpg as a delivry point that actualy functioned.

that being said its very easy to abuse comerchial trojans kelogers.

i hope dcs detects all wither comerchial or not

a trojan is a trojan

the nicer spyware let blaze do the following from otherside of the world.

check e-mail
    look threw web cam
    live keystroke
    control desktop
    search folders
    and spy on aim

perty cool in less your the victem lol

but they are for sale i had application that could make one and has a log in password

i got rid of it but still if a crayola boy like me can get ahold of such an application anyone can.

so i suggest geting all nastys wether comerchial or not

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I second that, that would be a major improvement for v4

8. Sfax

Sfax Guest

Controler, Anti-keylogger won't even start ... Windows says it generates errors and will be closed ... If I stop Spector, it works just fine :) I tried several anti-keyloggers and none of them detected it. Also tried several antiviruses and antispyware programs, but no luck. I'm a little bit concerned, because the new version of Spector really knows how to hide. If you don't know what to look for, you may be living with it without ever knowing that someone is spying on you. It has no visible processes in the memory either (I tried a couple of task managers) and leaves no traces in the registry. The only way to kill it is by checking for locked files on the hard drive, then boot with something like ERD Commander and remove it. I think TDS should at least detect it because it's basically a trojan program.

9. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I use spysweeper and it seems spysweeper can handle keyloggers too

10. controler

controler Guest

sfax?

are you using an NT System?

Guess I will try Spector myself with Anti-Keylogger

I think they may be comming to visit the forums soon. At least I asked them to.

We will see what happens. They were invited.
    I do know a couple things about their software.

Bruce

11. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Sfax, :)

Like Pilli said, the only ones that can verify yes/no would be DCS.

From your post, you have it installed and:
    a] want to get rid of it?
    b] did not know about it until something happened?

Another thing you can use to monitor your system, is Port Explorer [also from DCS] to examine what traffic is being generated.

I am presuming you were concerned someone outside of your own environment being able to monitor the keylogger, not someone having physical access to your system to check.

Also if you have a good firewall, it should also alert to all objects trying to access outside to net? [As in having to Permit~Allow/Deny~Block attributes]

Port Explorer though can give very detailed info. [see pic, I turned on the 'full path' option you can see exactly what is making/listening contacts].
    The blue ones are System process, the Black are normal app, and the Red indicates "Hidden" process which "can" be trojan-like apps, although not necessarily like my screen capture program HyperSnap.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

• 093.GIF
      093.GIF
      File size:
      15.8 KB
      Views:
  12. Mr.Blaze

bottom line whats out there that finds this trojan

will spysweeper work on it

can you give us a detail how to find and get rid of it.

13. Mr.Blaze

Spector Pro 5.0

Records Emails, Chats, IMs, Web Sites, Programs Run, Keystrokes Typed, Peer to Peer File Sharing, Screen Snapshots - Plus - Offers Internet Access Blocking and Instant Notification Alerts.

The Most Intelligent Internet Monitoring and Surveillance Software available. Rated #1 spy software by PC Magazine.

Start with the Most Advanced Snapshot Recorder, Add ACTUAL Email Recording, PLUS ACTUAL Chat Recording, PLUS The World's Best Key Logger and Web Site Recording.

Then, add Program Recording and Peer to Peer File Recording (New in Version 5.0).

In addition, Spector Pro will actually examine what is being done and analyze it to see whether you should be NOTIFIED RIGHT AWAY - if something bad is happening to your loved ones while they are surfing the Internet.

Finally, add in the ability to block specific web sites from being visited or block chat activity or block internet access altogether with Spector Pro's flexible Internet Access Blocking.

Combine seven recording tools with Internet access blocking and intelligent and instant alert notification when content you specify is encountered and you have the most powerful Internet monitoring and surveillance software you can buy anywhere.

Complete Power. Complete Flexibility. Complete Control.

:rolleyes: hmmmmmm no quiet survalince on web cams or pc control or get file acess this is kinda weak compare to other comerchial spywares

but still nasty

14. Mr.Blaze

i dont think this is that cool one i was thinking of either i dont see remote acess as admin or use there server behind a proxy log in

the one i saw you log on you get a staus if there on or off basicly hacking for dummys lol wit a easy to use interface you pay a monthly subscription or was it a yearly plus software

twice as nasty as the above

15. FanJ

FanJ Guest

o_O

Well, you install some program, coming with some .exe file.
    It is YOUR responsibility what you install on your system.

You don't know what you have installed?
    You don't know what some crappy website has installed on your system?
    Well, use a good file-integrity-checker, so at least you know which files on your system has be changed/deleted/added; and use something like ProcessGuard when you're using 2000/XP.

16. Mr.Blaze

:D these programs dont use exe extention actualy you have lots of choices

it can be
    .swf
    .mp3
    .wav
    .exe
    .avi
    .mpeg

that really do work lol

for example in the program i saw it was so easy to use it was disturbing

you select the carrier e-mail it or any delivry methode you can think of

as soon as they get it wham

your cpu belong to us i mean the bad guys lol sorry day dreaming lol.

but you can get it from a so called friend

in one case i think i saw a time thing on it

which would be googd on .jpg

most people keep pictures in the pc so with a time bomb on it type thing lol

yup it nasty out there

17. Tassie_Devils

Absolutely Jan. :) Concur fully. :D

TAS

18. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Spector is a keylogger (and more) that is advertised widely in the United States. It is advertised as nothing less than the best tool to spy on your spouse, girl/boyfriend. etc.

Nobody installs Spector on their own free will. It is executed on systems with a lot of fancy work to prevent MOST security software from screaming.

A keylogger is infinitely worse than garden variety spyware and adware and the potential for damage to an individual (and not just on the computer) is extreme. I'm for any program that alerts to trojans, alerting to the very definition of pure SPYware - and that's keyloggers.

An interesting new piece of software I have been testing is called, "Snoopfree"....its manual is online. Here is a very interesting read about the breach warnings from SnoopFree.
    http://www.snoopfree.com/help_file/Breaches.htm
    It is very unique, and worth a look.

19. Tassie_Devils

Thanks for the info John :)

I know someone else in here uses Snoopfree, too lazy to search :) and swears by it.

TAS

20. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks John and thanks Tassie ;)

Am I allowed to point to this quote:
    "Nobody installs Spector on their own free will. It is executed on systems with a lot of fancy work to prevent MOST security software from screaming."

OK, nobody installs it on their own free will !
    But:
    How did it come on your system?
    Were you surfing not fully protected?
    Or did you give someone else access to your machine?
    OK, now for some strange reason it seems to be on your system.
    How many times do I have to tell people to use a good file-integrity-checker?
    At least you would know that suddenly some strange new files were added on your system....
    And again: if you're using W 2000/XP, did you use ProcessGuard? I cannot use it on my W 98 SE machine, so I have to leave it to others whether PG will warn you in case that nasty is "suddenly" running on your system...

21. Mr.Blaze

:eek: omg that parnoyal soft ware snoop free

i do not recomend that for newbie you be craping your pants every 10 minutes lol

mediume newbie if you understand firewall concept and you know how to look up info on the net to a program and are good at it then its a good programe

otherwise you will only become more paranoid

22. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Snoopfree say they take care of all spyware "known and unknown" .Would this be better choice than say spy sweeper or does snoopfree really take care of spyware that is placed physically on the users pc rather than other forms such as spybot / spy sweeper take care of that may occur from downloading/surfing etc ?

23. Mr.Blaze

:D jan not every one nice like you i wish they were this world be a better place

you can get it as an e-mail itself

for example i send you e-mail you dowenload it like normal you open it bang i got you

problem is people you know or dont know do this stuff

but i see your point to lol you should never trust a source inless you know them very well

24. Mr.Blaze

o_O jan just wondering well file integrity checker really spot Spector 5 pro

wow so many condomes for the pc now a days sucks we have to have all this security just to be safe kinda crazy

25. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hi Jan,

Everything you wrote is absolutely true - for the experienced and security-wise user. I frankly agree with you that for Spector to end up on the computer of one of the Wilders regulars would give cause to pause. However, we have to remember that not even 5% of computer users care to run anything but an antivirus and a firewall as their "security"......With that in mind, it is hard for me to scold someone for asking for solid protection from the most popular keylogging program in existense - Spector.

It's hard to tell someone not to expect something in a certain tool, because if they were smart, they would have caught it with another tool. If keyloggers are not included in the database of TDS (which I didn't know) the only fair thing to do is to asterisk the program with that information.

But, now I am curious because of this from the TDS3 FAQ on the DCS website:

Which kinds of malicious software does TDS detect?

TDS essentially detects anything malicious that isn't a virus. This includes RAT Servers, RAT EditServers, RAT Clients, RAT Plugins, RAT DDoS Servers, FTP RATs, Droppers, Binded trojans, Packed Servers, Keyloggers, Spyware, Mail Trojans, Password Stealers, Internet Worms, mIRC Worms, Malicious DLLs, Monitors, Spyware, and many others.
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=faq

So I am wondering - does it or doesn't it?

My main point though is that a person shouldn't have to be an expert on computer security to be respected as a computer user with needs and desires from the software they choose to use. If I used TDS3, I know I would certainly expect it to detect keyloggers if the short answer to the question "What kinds of malicious software does TDS detect? is "Anything malicious that isn't a virus." That seems pretty clear to me. If TDS3, in fact, does not detect keyloggers, after reading the above - I would have a lot of questions if I had paid money for the claims of protection and were not getting it. It really has nothing to do with what "other" steps one has taken as a computer user.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.