A problem about OS SELECTOR

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by ALEX_J, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALEX_J

ALEX_J Guest

Hi, I had a problem about the acronis selector 7.
    My PC has 2 partitions, but only one OS(XP). I installed Disk director 9 and OS selector 7 smoothly to my PC. I believed so because no error messenges appeared. After installed them, I did not set anything and just restart my PC. The OS selector worked, and I could see only one icon showed XP in the menu as expected. I double clicked on the only icon and then my PC really tried to restart from my C partition. Then the problem came. It did not really reboot my XP, and just came back to OS selector menu. So I cannot enter my XP anymore. How can I fix this problem? I don't have a rescue disk for OS selector or Disk director.
    Thank you very much.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, ALEX

Welcomed to wilders and Acronis.

If you would like to try this at fixing it do the following.

Boot from your OS CD>When you get to the insall screen choose>Rapair Installion useing the Recovery Console, Press R.

Press R>
    Then Type 1 [ONE]>
    Then Enter your Password the one that you installed with. [Administer]

Then at Windows>_
    [Dos Prompt] Type>
    FIXMBR>[You will get a warning current MBR is non-standard or something like that, Ignore it]then when it ask if you are sure>Type Y.>
    Press Enter.
    Type Exit and REBOOT.

If you try this FIXMBR fix it should not make it worse only better.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. muaddib2004

muaddib2004 Guest

what if I don't have an xp disk on hand? Lost it in a move

4. Victim (n+1)

Victim (n+1) Guest

Thanks. This is my first and last encounter with acronis. I just installed the OS selector POS demo and had the "configuration file missing" error. fixmbr did the trick.

On to the next step: to uninstall the diskdirector suite and avoid acronis products!

5. Omd316

Omd316 Registered Member

i had the same problem with that demo , it says reinstall the thing , but the pos wont let me boot into xp , and acronis is to freaking cheap for support ... what can someone do to avoid the acronis os selector from loading do u kno ?

6. and I had also the same problem with he demo + xp. But how can you start an FIXMBR, if you never make it to a running operating system? Break does not help, as the first keystroke starts again the Os-loader loop......
    I cant understand that one can build a software that stupid that it doesnt offer the backdoor to a default boot found on the first partition of disk 0.

I still hope for a solution outside opening the notebook and fondling around with IDE-adapters..Offcourse I will kill that crook somehow, but I never experienced a virus that effectful with shooting down a system.

7. CSDMagRed01

CSDMagRed01 Guest

Anyone found a solution to this? I correctly have the same problem. The PC won't boot after installing the demo of Disk Director on a single XP system. It won't recognize the CD drive to boot from the CD to repair the system. So it's dead. Any solutions are greatly appreciated!

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Director Suite (http://www.acronis.com/products/diskdirector/).

Please accept our sincere apologies for your inconveniences.

In order to uninstall Acronis OS Selector please do the following:

Windows 95/98/ME – boot from Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;
    Windows 2000/XP – boot from Installation Disc into Recovery Console and run "fixmbr" command.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

9. Timke

Timke Guest

I tried to get rid of the Acronis error message by using the fixmbr command in the recovery console of WinXP but it still occurs. I have 2 WinXP on each first partition of my 2 HDDs.

Why does an HDD format not help?

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Timke,

Please unplug one of your drives and fix MBR, then plug it in again and unplug the other one and fix MBR once again. This will assure that you have fixed the MBR on both hard disks. I can propose you an easier way to fix MBR with special Acronis tool:

Please insert a diskette into the floppy drive and run the file available by the link below:

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/mbrautowrite_en.exe

Once the floppy is written, boot the computer from it and confirm that you want to fix the master boot record.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.