need help with ERUNT

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by iceni60, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i installed SP2 and, it may be linked, maybe not; but the MD5 checksum in IE has changed, system restore wont work(worked just before) and my computer is abit slower, i dont want SP2. i have a back-up using ERUNT taken just before the SP2 install. should ERUNT's back-up take me back to when things were working fine?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I have my doubts that using Erunt to restore your registry at this point would be much help. You need to be able to remove sp2 first and then give it a try.
    Even then, I wouldn't bet on it.
    I'm not sure why system restore won't work either. If you created a restore point before installing sp2, it should work.

Maybe we can get some discussion going on this.

It has been mentioned that some people will have problems with sp2. I was fortunate. My computer runs better than before.
    I do a scandisk weekly and defrag daily with Perfectdisk. I try to keep all files that point nowhere off of my disk.
    If I install a program and don't like it, I make doubly sure all the files I can find from that install are gone before going on.

Next?

3. PeterVO

PeterVO Registered Member

Hello,

just go to "Control Panel", "Ad or Remove programmes". Select Service Pack 2 in the list and remove it from your pc.

Kind regards,

PeterVO

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

ERUNT will only restore the registry, but not system files. You can also try the "Use the hidden $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder" method here: How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer.

The file version and checksum for my SP2 IE are:

6.00.2900.2180 xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

---------------------------------------------------
    The file <C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe> has the following Checksum(s)

MD5 - E7484514C0464642BE7B4DC2689354C8

Nick

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, ron and Peter. i just went to add/remove and i first ticked the box for show updates. and i get the screenshot below. theres no size for SP2 +tweak ui and totall uninstall. is that the same for you too?

Attached Files:

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Same thing on my systems.

Nick

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks nick, thats the checksum i have too :D . im not so worried now. ill take a look at the link too. thanks alot :cool:

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

well im definatly not so worried now. i dont know if you've read my other post on ADS and system restore https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=46741
    i see now that really all my problems are unrelated. i just need to remove the rest of the ADS, theres only afew left, but it must be them that are causing SR to not work. i thought with the hash problem, the slow-down and denied access to SR that i might have a trojan. things seem to be running alittle slower, but i can live with that, if thats my main concern. thanks for helping me *puppy*

9. nick s

nick s Registered Member

My systems were a bit slower after SP2, but that was cured by a defrag.

Nick

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, i'll do that :) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.