Why was this disabled, etc.?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by John Liebson, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Liebson

John Liebson Registered Member

What follows is not to be construed as a complaint; rather, it is simply asked that I might better understand what might have happened:

After installing a Windows XP critcal update (NOT SP2, thanks...), given my mistrust of IE6, I then ran Spybot.

Spybot found a new registry entry for SearchForThis, which I removed.

Out of curiosity, I then ran Spyware Blaster, which indicated that one item for IE was not being protected. I searched for that item, and found this was the item in question:

SearchForIt Toolbar - {C109664B-CEB1-420B-B353-D55A561536DD}

My questions:

How did SearchForIt get into the registry, if Spyware Blaster protects against it? Alternatively, as I don't know when it became disabled in Blaster (there were no non-protected items late yesterday afternoon), why did it become unprotected?

Finally, if it was protected when I started the IE6 update--which, of course, I do not know), then what caused it become unprotected? Was it my removing the Registry entry, or something else, perhaps?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey John,

The latest Spybot release is flagging an entry that the SpywareBlaster program placed in the registry dealing with SearchForIt. Until Spybot releases an update....it is recommended that you place that item on ignore within Spybots program. Below is a recent link concerning this.

This thread---> SearchForIt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.