Service pack 2! Are you having problem's with it?

Discussion in 'polls' started by NICK ADSL UK, Aug 28, 2004.

?

Have you had any problem's installing service pack 2?

1. YES

19 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. NO

97 vote(s)
    78.9%
  3. I'M NOT SURE

7 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Service pack 2! Are you having problem's with it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi friends :)
    Would all of you who have installed the service pack 2 please indicate in this poll if you have had any problem's and also any SPECIFIC SOFTWARE that is not working with it. Many thanks

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I've had no problems with SP2, and all my programs are working fine.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

The only firm thing I've seen on my PC's is that WEP on the wireless branch of my LAN is no longer working. Hardware in question is Netgear HE102 AP and HA311 adapters. Native drivers date from 2002. Have tried both the Netgear and native Windows Wireless Zero configurators. Neither work - get association with the AP, but cannot communicate. System runs fine as an open/WEP disabled system. Still waiting on action from Netgear (initial response was nothing will be done). Have seen a few other reports related to wireless issues, although it definitely does seem hit and miss on this. In my case, it's two PC's, same config, both display the problem.

Blue

4. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

2 minor things so far a Dr Watson comes up..postmortum lol...what a name? anyhow i figured it was due to an recent application i installed Tweak app !! so i got rid of it and of went Dr Watson..thankgod !! ..I hear other ppl right click on there explorer folders and he pops up ?? havnt had that yet?...Also ... the other thing bugging me the most is My msn messenger on reboots at times sets it back to default Font and a box with saving chat?... so that's a bit anoying but nothing major here yet?...TOUCH WOOD! o_O :D

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

The mi2g Intelligence Unit has said that hundreds of small, medium and large corporations and academic institutions as well as government departments that have installed the SP2 update on Windows XP machines either directly or within restricted test environments have been reporting problems with their security software suites

http://m2.com/m2\m2web.nsf/pv/85256...792E?OpenDocument&PubWrapper=Telecomworldwire

6. nullend_vod

nullend_vod Guest

im having problems installing it on my acer ferrari 3200 laptop :( for some reason when it is in the "preparing to install" phase, it just ends with the message "failed to install service pack 2"... anyone with similar problems?

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Not yet anyway.

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

My school has not applied SP2 yet, most probably because my school is using a anti-virus program that is incompatible with SP2. That anti-virus program is Mcafee Viruscan Enterprise 7.0

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

10. dog

dog Guest

The install of Sp2 went smooth for me. The only hicup was that it knocked out my NIC card and internal ADSL modem ... the issue was resolved by reinstalling those drivers. ;)

I haven't experienced any software conflicts ... except Norton Speed Disk ( and I'm not sure it is related to Sp2 in anyway.)

Installation of Sp2 is along process ... roughly an hour (w/ all previous patches), but it was rather painless. ;)

dog - *puppy*

11. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I have installed service pack 2 about 4 days ago and all progerammes as well as my system are running very well and stable at the moment on my xp pro system. :D :D
    I would just like to say about outpost pro 2.1 and the blue screen of death, I for one have not seen this issue with outpost and service pack 2, both of them seem to run very well together on my system. :D

Your friend

THE MUL

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When I installed sp2 I already knew that my version of nero ultra 6 wouldn't work so I can't count that. I had to reinstall sp2 due to a screw up by me. I had processguard on and it stopped some drivers from installing so I turned it off did a restore to before sp2 and reinstalled and it now works flawlessly.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  13. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

So, I guess it's OK to put it on then! I am going to wait til my CD gets here so I don't mess anything up.

Are you using the default firewall too? I thought that messed with other security apps?

Marja

14. a_problem

a_problem Guest

Attempted to install SP2 on top of SP1 using the Microsoft SP2 disc. After about 10 min backing data to the hard drive, I got a message saying that the program was UNABLE TO READ FROM OR WRITE TO THE DATABASE.

15. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Find another PC. Search for edb.log (about 1MB). Copy it to a floppy and put edb.log in C:\WINDOWS\security. This will overwrite your existing data. Reboot and reload SP2.

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Until now, don't...

17. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

No problems installing over up-to-date SP1 (from the CD, which arrived this past Friday).

So far no visible after-effect problems. One program (Graphics Workshop Pro) mysteriously started crashing last night when performing certain operations, even after fresh reboots. I know it uses memory in oddball ways sometimes, so I just chalked that up to the new execution-control security thing in SP2. But it was just as mysteriously back to normal today.

18. Cyber Surfer

Cyber Surfer Registered Member

So far I have upgraded three computers to Service Pack 2 with no problems. Could it be that Microsoft has a winner this time? :rolleyes:

19. RJ100

RJ100 Registered Member

So far so good with SP2. No conflicts to report.

Last month I was a little stressed as to how SP2 was going to mingle
    with Panda AV/firewall. No issues at all. In the security centre it even
    tells you that your current configuration is alive and well.

I also thought I'd see a major strain on the memory usage but that hasn't
    been the case at all. *puppy*

Btw, I ordered the free CD from M$ and the formatted letter said
    please allow 4 - 6 weeks for delivery. Well it landed on my doorstep
    in less that a week. :eek: Scarrrry Stuff :)

Take care

20. mr burns

mr burns Guest

since sp2 install, my start-up and shut down speeds are horrific. it takes so much longer. also on one or two occasions, after my desktop appears, the pc freezes.
    i'm not too impressed so far.

21. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

From what we've been hearing so far, it sounds like about a week, give or take, is typical delivery time. Might be different, of course, for users in more exotic or remote locations -- how's the guys in Antarctica doing? ;)

22. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:eek: pure evill i tell you pure evill satan made it im convinced its evill need exorcisim

23. smiddy

smiddy Registered Member

aww god not service pack 2 When i first installed everything was fine except my version of styles xp wouldnt work anymore and i cant update it without re subscibing it also loves to eat all my ram and Destroy perfomance

Smiddy :cool:

24. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Install failed twice on one of my PC's last night. I give up. :mad: Received error message to the effect that "...could not find file".

25. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Usually you can click ignore or something to that effect, and it will go straight past it, I had one machine do the same with about 10 files, it runs perfectly with SP2...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.