AV killer?need help!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by rebelyuz, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebelyuz

rebelyuz Registered Member

i need help with my pc. im using winXP i noticed my AVG and The Cleaner wont run,i suspect an AV killer preventing me from using my anti virus sofware,i cant access MSCONFIG either,i cant uninstall my AVG nor can i install.is there any way i could fix this before i resort to reformating?what are other free reliable AV software i can use?please help... :'(

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Try booting into safe mode and then running a scan with AVG

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

4. rebelyuz

i cant go safe mode,when i press f8 it only toggles a boot sequence menu,i try the online scans...

5. Blackspear

Ok, let us know how you go...

If you are unable to do the online scans, then try downloading a copy of "Stinger" from here:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Let us know how you go...

6. rebelyuz

i tried Bitdefender,and detected Backdoor.SDBot.Gen which was repaired,then Trojan.Qhosts.B w/c was found on C:/windows/system32/drivers/host,i tried to scan it with Dr. Web and it turned out to be a Win32.HLLW.Agobot.3 internet worm (no wonder my PC just slowed down together with my internet connection),it said it went under the name LSAS.exe that can be found on C:/windows/system32,i only found a LSASS.exe.Bitdefender couldnt repair it btw,so i tried stinger,it detected the TrojanQhosts.B and repaired the infected file,it detected another one DcomRpc.Gen trojan and deleted the file,made a 2nd scan with Bit defender then with stinger,no more viruses detected,i think its ok now,my problem now is how to make my AV run again,and to beable to access msconfig and windows task manager.i dont know how to repair the registry.

7. Blackspear

You might try reloading Windows over the top of itself.

Hope this helps...

8. rebelyuz

ill try that THANKS A LOT! :-*

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Please keep us informed how it goes.

You mentioned the HOSTS file? If you look at that, anything strange? Can you access every site normally? If not, rename the HOSTS file and try again.

If the AV blocking infections have gone, can't you just run the AVG and other functions normally?
    I would recommend to try one or two different online scanners too, as all have their own detections.

Is/was going back to an older system-restore point no good option for you?

BTW: also make sure your folder settings display all hidden files and extensions, to ease finding files for you.

10. rebelyuz

as of now i have no problem accessing sites,by the way the host file was under C:/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/host,and not c:/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/host,it was already repaired,with stinger.i cant restore my pc since i turned off system-restore when i was scanning,so to prevent the virus from being saved together with the restore points,thus keeping it from getting removed.i tried restarting the AV still aint functioning.i guess il try more online scans.... :(

11. Blackspear

If this is your only problem, then try uninstalling your AV, delete all traces from the registry and reinstall...

12. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I would assume that one of the baddies is still running

In this case and only this time as we don't normally do HJt logs here any more please do this and I will look over the log and advise if we can fix it

go to http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HijackThis.exe and download 'Hijack This!'.
    make sure it is placed into it's own folder, not a temporary folder. Then doubleclick the Hijackthis.exe.
    Click the "Scan" button, when the scan is finished the scan button will become "Save Log" click that and save the log.
    Go to where you saved the log and click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" then Paste the log back here in a reply.
    It will possibly show issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required,
    so do NOT fix anything yet.
    Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

13. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I've moved this to trojans and backdoors as I strongly suspect that there is at least one agobot or sdbot if not more still active

14. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.