Important additional info for wguard.inf problem!

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Devinco, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi all,

If you have WindowsXP (SP1) and WormGuard 3.1 is asking you for wguard.inf, here is the solution:
    WormGuard XPHelp

But that will only work one time!! Every time you need to remove protection (say to install other security software), WormGuard will delete wguard.inf from both the C:\WINDOWS\INF folder AND the WormGuard folder.
    Needless to say this drove me crazy and I couldn't find the solution here on Wilder's either (maybe I didn't look hard enough).

Here is the solution: Follow the instructions at the link above.
    Then set the read only attribute on the wguard.inf in your WormGuard folder.
    This is done by right clicking wguard.inf in your WormGuard folder and select properties from the pop up menu. At the bottom of the properties window, check Read Only. Click OK. Problem resolved, I can now enable and disable protection at will and it never bothers me with that annoying prompt again.
    It makes no difference whether you are connected or disconnected to the internet as another poster mentioned.

DiamondCS, please add this step to the xphelp webpage of WormGuard so it will help your loyal customers who are eagerly awaiting WG4 yet want to make the most out of WG3.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004
  2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks for the tip Devinco, I am sure DCS will take note :)

3. controler

controler Guest

But I do not have a wguard.inf file except in my c:\windows\lastgood\INF
    folder.

is that a bad sign?

controler

4. Devinco

Hi controler,

I did some more testing, if wguard.inf is only in C:\WINDOWS\LastGood\INF, then WG protection is probably not enabled. You can confirm this by clicking test within WG. Please verify this.

Now enable protection and see if it asks for the wguard.inf location.
    If it does ask, then just follow the instructions in my first post.

If C:\WINDOWS\LastGood\INF\wguard.inf exists, then it means you rebooted previously with WormGuard Protection enabled. It is just a backup for windows.

If C:\WINDOWS\inf\wguard.inf exists, then it means WormGuard Protection is enabled.

HTH

5. controler

controler Guest

Hello Devinco

I never had the inf in my wormguard folder but did have it in my windows inf folder. If I uninstall wormguard protection and reboot, then try to install protection, i get the looking for inf file every time. I click cancel and it shows protection enabled anyway. I click test and it shows potected.
    The only thing that works for me is to copy my window inf file to my wormguard folder. I will try leaving the read only ticked and unticked for the inf in the wormguard folder I copied there and see if that makes any difference.

6. controler

controler Guest

Ok Here is what I found on my system.

If I have a copy of wguard.inf in my wormguard folder and windows inf folder without read only ticked
    and click uninstall protection, wormguard deletes both inf files. If I tick read only on the wguard.inf file in my windows inf folder, womguard will still delete it. The only thing that works for me is to make sure I have a copy of wguard.inf in my main wormguard folder and have the read only ticked.

Bruce

7. controler

controler Guest

I aggree the fix should be posted on the page you listed above for all those that have wormguard but don't come here.
    Make sure you have a copy of wguard.inf in the main wormguard folder and have the read only ticked. ;)

http://wormguard.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=xphelp

Bruce

8. Devinco

Bruce,
    Thanks for confirming this problem.

@DCS,
    I want my WormGuard4!!! :D (please)

9. controler

controler Guest

Now if we ca only figure out the windows shutdown issue that I have LOL
    It does get annoying at times.

<moved from your other message into this one:
    On a side note, I do seem to be having some of the wormguard issues.
    Have taken care of the looking for inf file but I have the computer shutdown problem. With this new reformat I only have the latest MS updates and running SP1 ow not SP2 and have updated my video drivers ect.
    Since I forgot to get the drivers needed before format, I had to use the recovery CD's this time which installs all the other junk software.

I am looking forward to wormguard 4 :)

Bruce

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2004
  10. Devinco

Glad the wguard.inf problem seems solved (or at least bypassed).

The shut down problem may not be related to wguard.inf, so it may get better attention if you make a new post about it. Test if you still have the shut down problem if you disable WG protection. If it still happens, it may not be WG related. Try to isolate it first and then post in the forum where you think it fits best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.