Atwola.com

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by habari42, Aug 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. habari42

habari42 Registered Member

Hi. A friend has emailed as follows :-- "I have a file in my Temporary Internet Files that cannot be removed and its attributes cannot be discovered. It is ar9.atwola.com/file/adsEndjs It seems to be spyware and also appears to have added many hidden files to my Temp Internet Folder. Can anyone help me to get rid of this pest please. Spywareadware seems to be unable to detect it. HELP!"

Can anyone confirm that Atwola is a "nasty" and suggest how this file can be removed,please. ? Cheers, Haba. o_O

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

habari42:

There are a couple of issues here.

First, by default there are hidden files in the \Temporary Internet Files -- that's normal. Those are simply system files created by IE.

Second, ar.atwola.com is a server used by Time-Warner web sites (esp. cnn.com and Netscape.com) for various things. Atwola.com does not install spyware or adware -- just serves ads, promotions, and other variously annoying things related to Time-Warner online offerings.

Third, the file your friend found is one of these strange files that occasionally can't be deleted because of a problem with the file name or because the file itself is somehow corrupted.

To get that file deleted, try the following:

1) Run Scandisk on the drive and have it correct any errors it finds. If the file is still undeletable, move on to the next suggestion.

2) Try using one of the specialized IE cache cleaners listed here:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/soft19.htm#IE

Some are free; some are for pay but have free trials.

3) If the file still won't budge, then try this specialized deleter:

DOS Delete
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Toys.html

If after all that the file still refuses to go, report back here and we'll come up with another plan.

Eric L. Howes

4. habari42

habari42 Registered Member

Hi,Snowbound. I've only just seen your posting. Thanks for the link, which I'm just about to have a look at. There seems to be varying opinions about Atwola's degree of nastiness. !! Cheers, Haba.

5. Aemilius

Aemilius Guest

To anyone who has ever used DOS. Removing suspicious files that refuse to be deleted is easy. Just write down the path, reboot in DOS mode and type, del c:\windows\system\filename. This example will only work if the file ou want to delete is in the c:\windows\system directory. If it's in the programs directory than type, del c:\windows\programs\filename (if you actually type the word filename I will kill you).

I used an old program called dosshell to delete the comet cursor file dmserver.exe. I unfortunately spaced and deleted my autoexec.bat. When using this old filemanager type program the dmserver.exe prompts you to delete autoexec.bat or autoexec.001 (if you have one).

You cannot delete any of these files in a DOS window. You actually have to be in full DOS mode. You can find dosshell.exe in the file folder oldmsdos in a Win95 companion disk. You can also find it in old DOS install disks or most likely on the net. If you want to be able to use your mouse than you must enable mouse.com in your dosstart.bat (just type in mouse.com), but you have to have the file mouse.com for it to work. Their are some other files like dosshell.grp that need to be in the working directory in order to use dosshell to it's fullest. Search the net and you will find it I'm sure.

if you need help at the command prompt you can usuall add /? at the end of any *.exe file to get a list of commands for that particular file, but only if it can be run in DOS mode. BTW the command "del" means delete; the command "dir" means directory; the command "edit" will bring up the editor; there is also the command "copy"; "mkdir" -make directory; "type"; "move"; "mem"; and more. There is an old DOS help file called help.com and help.hlp. Adding the switch /? to any command will get you a list on how to use the commands. If you want help on the type command just type in, type/? and you will get help on that particular command.

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

atwola is a spyware advertiser. On the CNN news website, I have seen many of atwola's banner advertisements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.