True Image 8 error message

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tipton, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Ok, I couldn't help myself......I am giving TI 8 a try. I had previously used True Image 7 without a single issue. After installing True Image 8, I noticed an error message when creating an image. The error said "Failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0". I have never seen this error before. I get this when using the rescue CD. If I click on ignore, I can continue with the process. If I go back to my True image 7 rescue CD, and try a restore or image creation, I do not get the error message. I have ran check dsk with no issues appearing. Like I said, if I go back to my True Image 7 rescue CD...all is fine.

Running XP pro, service pack one. I am storing images on a second Maxtor SATA hard drive. My primary hard drive is an exact duplicate Maxtor SATA drive. I am a bit bummed by True Image 8.

Tipton

2. Peter K.

Peter K. Registered Member

@Tipton.

hello,

the same prblem here: "Failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0"

I have already send a system report to acronis.

Peter K.

3. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! I also talked to another friend of mine who just tried out TI 8, and got the exact same error message. So it looks like this is something specific to True Image 8.

Tipton

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

We are investigating that problem now because some users are reporting exactly the same issues.

Please can you please boot from the Acronis True Image 7.0 rescue disc and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." messages appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove "quiet" keyword from the line and click on the OK button.

When the blinking cursor appears, please issue "sysinfo" command and either write down the output or take a shot of the output with a digital camera and send it to me (ag-at-acronis.com)

Thank you.

Anton.

5. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Did you mean boot from the True Image 8 rescue disc?

Tipton

6. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

You can get this message if you have some kind of removable (like a zip) drive without a disk in it. It is safe to ignore in that case as it more or less means "no disk in drive".

7. Bart Hamer

Bart Hamer Registered Member

I had similar error messages while trying to clone the internal harddisk onto an external USB harddisk. Different was that they referred to harddisk 2 (the USB disk) and they didn't refer to sector 0 but higher numbers. The problem indeed only occurs when booting TI from CD.
    Another thing I noticed was that TrueImage 8.0 doesn't notice the USB harddisk's presence after rebooting during the cloning process. This also occurs when TI is started from Windows. I reinstalled TI 7.0 and everything works fine again. o_O

8. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Well thats fine, but my question is, why does True Image 7 work just fine without that error message. I do have a USB compact flash card reader hooked to my PC, but TI 7 does not show this error message. I do not want to have to click ignore everytime I do an image, or a restore. Its just an extra thing to deal with in the whole process.

I too have gone back to True Image 7, even though I received a free upgrade from Acronis for TI 8. I will wait it out and see if they get a fix fore this error message.

Tipton

9. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

And again I have to point out how interesting it is that 2 year old Drive Image doesn't have half the issues with hardware as TI.

10. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Well, if you really want to know and it's not just a rhetorical question: as TI is upgraded, more and more Linux drivers are included in an effort to recognize and deal with as much hardware as possible. Most likely these new drivers have recognized a device which was unknown before and consider it as a drive without a disk.

And on to tazdevl:

QUOTE: "And again I have to point out how interesting it is that 2 year old Drive Image doesn't have half the issues with hardware as TI."

An old version of DriveImage actually recognizes much less in the way of hardware and thus is simultaneously more forgiving in some cases and less capable in others. I used Ghost for many years starting when it was not owned by Symantec, and in fact was the first and only imaging program. Later, I switched to DriveImage. In the last two years, I use TI almost exclusively because for professionals in senarios where large numbers of networked computers are involved, it is simply the best choice. As always YMMV

11. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.....that does make sence. I am not at my PC right now, but will check when I get back to it, and see if TI7 is seeing my card reader.

Back when I was running Norton disk doctor, it would flag my card reader. Can't remember what the popup message was though. Maybe TI is doing the same thing just like you say. Maybe I will put the card in it and see how TI 8 treats it.

Tipton

Tipton

12. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Well I got back to my PC, and used my True Image 7 build 627 rescue CD, and booted from it. I wanted to see if it saw my Compact flash card reader. It did not see it using the rescue CD. I will have to re-install TI 8, and see if it sees my reader. If it does, I will put a card in it and see if the error message goes away. That will prove beenthereb4's theory.

By the way, I did see a B drive in the list. It was called removable disk drive. I have no idea what that would have been. The rescue CD saw both my internal hard drives, and my floppy, CDRW, and this B drive. My card reader is G and H. It reads both compact flash and smart media. I can't help but think that maybe this B removable disk drive is what TI is calling my compact flash reader.

Tipton

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  13. Peter K.

Hello,

about the problem: "Failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0".
    I get this message with the Compact flash card reader, if I insert a Compact
    flash card in the cardreader en then reboot with the boot cd from "True
    Image 8" I have not the error message.

It is safe to ignore the error message?

Solution: update True Image 8............ :D

Peter K.

14. Peter K.

From Acronis,

Hello,

Thank you for the worth informtaion. This problem can realy appear because of removable drive without a disk in it. Our developers suggest you to ignore this error message its safe.
    --
    Best regards,
    Marian Fadeeva

@Acronis support:
    When is the update release of True Image 8 to fix this problem? :)

Peter K.

15. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Well at least we have an explanation. I too would love to see an update for TI8, that will eliminate this error message weather I have a empty card reader or not.

Tipton

16. Peter K.

@ Acronis Support

Hello,

can TI8 restore images that are made with TI7.

Peter. ;)

17. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

I will take a stab at this one. All my images made with TI 7, show up as available for restoration when using the TI 8 rescue CD. I have not tried a restore from a TI7 image file using the TI8 boot CD yet, but I would bet it would work just fine. I do know that if you use a TI7 rescue CD, that any images made with TI8 will show as corrupted. This is because the TI7 rescue CD does not contain all the necessary data to restore a TI8 image file. Which is why it is recommended you make a new rescue CD everytimethere is an update to TI.

Tipton

18. Peter K.

Peter K.

@Acronis support.

Hello,

about the problem: "Failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0".
    I would love to see an update for TI8, that will eliminate this error message weather I have a empty card reader or not.

Can I make "Live images" from other pc's with True Image server?

Peter. :D

19. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

I have received the same error, but it does not seem to matter, since after acknowledging it I can still run TrueImage 8 from the bootable CD.

Given the info presented above by others, I ran a simple test: I inserted a blank, formatted floppy in the floppy drive and ablank, formatted ZIP in the ZIP drive, then booted from the CD. With the blank media in place the error did NOT appear. This supports the theory expressed by others that it is a simple warning about a removeable drive without media.

I assume that this minor error will be fixed in some future build of True Image 8. Until then, I can live with it. Besides, it is nothing compared to the problem that I have had using GHOST on serial ATA drives.

20. Piru

Piru Guest

I get the same error, except that now I also get a blue screen when I try to do an TI8 live backup. It starts and instantly goes into a blue screen. Also, I have a computer with 3 SATA drives, TI-8 only sees two of them when I boot from the Rescue CD ... Piri

21. ealgiros

ealgiros Registered Member

Hi

Please forgive my English, I´ll do my best...

Well I must say that this same error message ("failed to read...")
    is not an exclusive issue with TI 8, since I got the same messages
    using TI 7 rescue CD (safe mode, because full mode got stuck while
    loading). I was trying to make an image of the first partition ,
    when I got those messages. One message for each partition. Then

I tried to restore an image from partition two and got the same

messages.

That´s not all. After ignoring the messages, when I was supposed
    to tell TI where I wanted to store the image ( or get it from) I
    got an empty MI PC ICON not enabling me to choose source nor
    destination disk (depending the task I'm planning to perform).
    There were no disk icons available so as to choose one source or
    destination disk for the image file. The network wasn´t available
    even though I have a 10/100 Pcmcia card ethernet installed.

The thing is I don't have "empty" drives installed, the messages

were referred to my hard disk. The computer is a quite old (but

working fine one) Twinhead "Slimnote" Pentiun 233 MMX notebook with
    128 MB RAM and 4 gb Hard disk, 20x cdrom.

I am using windows 98 (to make the notebook run as fast as

possible), but the problem happens whether I have win98 installed

or not.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

Ealgiros

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.