Why?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by TrueAnubis, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrueAnubis

TrueAnubis Registered Member

Why did you stop helping? It's like the site has abandoned those with the big hijacking problems.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The only thing we stopped helping on was reading HijackThis logs, and frankly we had no choice... We didn't have enough staff to read the logs we were getting, so a lot of people weren't getting any help anyway. This way, we now refer people to other security forums that do have enough staffing to help people with logs, and they do end up getting help.

It's all explained in these threads:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42175

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42183

3. chew

chew Registered Member

TrueAnubis

WSF stopped Hijack This because they don't have enough resources to cope with the demand.

If they continued to provide Hijack This help they would only be doing half hearted job and could be unfair to many seeking their help.

I guess as you know virus, spyware, adware etc., are becoming more sophisticated and the time to be spent on analysing them by the experts become greater and longer. This will not reflect well on them if they promise to fix it or to help out but only able to do so for few people and yet the demands keep coming in. They will only be doing a bad job. Most of the problems require expert knowledge and the experts are far too few around nowadays. Experts are also required somewhere else to develop new ideas and system etc., and they need to devote all their energy there so they can't be at too many places at one time ...

So I guess those are some of the reasons why they have stopped the Hijack This service.

Unfortunately, I am facing the some problem too after contracting VX2 virus / pest / whatever you called it and I ended up deleting the wrong files and completely destroying my IE 6.0. Fortunately my Firefox is still working and I can only surf net using Firefox now. I am still looking for a way to rebuild or to repair my IE 6.0 ... but that will take a long time as I will need to learn to repair them steps by steps myself.

I don't simply surf net nowadays unless I know there are ways to solve virus problems ... so I only stick to certain recommended sites now.

In the long run ... I plan to move to Linux OS or Mac OS to avoid all the pain of virus attacks. I am in the process of learning SuSE Linux 9.1 Pro now and will also evaluate Mac OS ... soon. Linux is practically free in terms of cost.

I guess that's my only choice. I know there is no such thing as virus free but at least other OS will not be as hard hit as Microsoft. I don't care what OS I am using so long as it has all the things I want. Nowadays most OS are very good by comparison to the 80s stuff ... so I am not complaining.

Just switching from one to another needs a bit of learning ... I am prepared to do so.

So I guess you better start learning too and in no time you will be able to try out other OS and help yourself. Don't rely too much on others as you will only get too stress up ... trust me on that. (remember ... I have deleted something on my laptop ... )

Hope that helps.

Chew:)

4. SoConfused

SoConfused Registered Member

where can we go to get help from now? I was able to get help for my computer but my Dad's is swamped and needs some help with his.

Where are some other places to find hijackthis log helpers?

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Has anyone read the announcement?

The answer to your question lies within said announcement.

6. SoConfused

SoConfused Registered Member

Im blind, did I tell yall that, LOL, i see it now

7. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.