How to access TDS "member" forums?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by horseman, Jul 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. horseman

horseman Registered Member

How indeed?

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders, Horseman. You need to have a valid TDS license. When you get that you also get access to that site using your members area password. That password is contained in the same email that you received your registration notification.

3. horseman

Thanks - I have both a "license" and "members" password.
    I have already accessed this "members area" but it appears to be limited to a marketing ploy and doesn't appear to contain access to a private licensed operators forum that I was expecting?

Obviously I've misunderstood or not correctly followed the registration process somewhere? :doubt:

Do you need further elaboration?

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there Horseman!
    There are quite a few different areas:
    We are now in the Official Public DiamondCS Forum at Wilders, access free for all, registration to the Wilders forum is not obliged but nicer to do like you did.

Then there is the General DiamondCS Forum over at the DiamondCS site; to access that one needs to register as a forummember separately on that forum, would be nice if you use the same nick.

In that same forum is the TDS Private Registered Operators Only Forum hidden for the public eye, unless one asks for that access as you did? Then you should see soon those extra forum parts there; if not please let support@diamondcs.com.au know with your registration email etc.

Then there is also your own Members Area on the DiamondCS website. For that you have the registration key and password from your registration email and where you find info only for yourself, where the registered software should show up, your personal discounts for next buys you would make, etc.

If you follow the DiamondCS link in my signature you get to the forum i mean, with the TDS Private forum in it. Sure your registration must have been ok, only overlooked that part maybe?

5. horseman

Thanks - I'm obliged to you for your clarification on the availability of the various fora/areas.
    Now appears I also have some anomolies in PRIVACY/ID LOCK features in ZAP5.x currently that exacerbate access problems to some of these area's. :oops:

Obviously I wasn't thorough enough during previously evaluating this product before purchasing! Subsequently this (and resource/exception) errors now appear with the full product which I need to research. :D

Out of courtesy I'll post an update in the fullness of time in the unlikely event these obscure combinations of configurations and machine specific environment assist others.

In meantime thanks for your pointers....

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Very strange you get now problems, as there is not any real difference between TDS and the registered version, only the keyfile enabling you to install exec protection for instance and a few extra options which were there now unlocked for the user.

I added both the Wilders Forum and the whole DiamondCS site to my trusted zone, even allow popups (handy for the Private Message notifications), i allow about everything including forum cookies, header reference (don't block that!) and all that via the firewall. ZAPro had or has the habit to see forum buttons as advertisement banners, so you might have to allow even those to see it all properly.

Which other problems do you get now all of a sudden?

7. horseman

Not really - formulating a structured test plan takes time and a disciplined, methodical, diligent and exhaustive approach. So draw you own conclusions as to why PC software is so relatively cheap and arguably inadequately tested (compared to mainframe legacy code)!<g>.

Evaluating it on ones home PC sometimes means one can get lazy and take too many "shortcuts" you wouldn't even expose your lab pc's to!
    If you also tested the product several months ago and didn't perhaps comprehensively document all the scenario's and existing software versions... which of course you have since updated many times in the interim to keep pace with security holes in your favourite OS then ....ahemmm - you'll be forgiven for justifiably responding with that well worn cliche:
    "Don't urinate on my shoe and then tell me it's raining"
    :blink: :)

That said a 15 day trial (and/or removing registry entries to keep reinstalling) is sometimes not always sufficient? ;)

I hear what you are saying and yes, I already observed my process list appeared to quadruple (I initially expected it to only double to 150 processes?) with copious numbers of 1kb execproc stubs soaking up another 200kb+ of nonpaged memory.
    Initially (re)testing indicates these could well result in conflicts with other AV/AS/AT software that might explain TDS intermittently stalling on startup with 99% CPU resource taken?.

....Ahhh well I'm just a simple proverbial Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke (can I say that without someone tittering?) still struggling with the basics so I'll defer raising the floodgates on the remainder of Pandora's virtualised box till later? ;-)

Thanks and worthy advice as specifically I missed the fact that there is both:
    tds.diamondcs.com.au AND
    diamondcs.com.au redirections
    and it's probably worth adding dcsresearch.com as well perhaps since this appears in the HELP drop down menu tab on TDS console?

I can certainly empathise with this more pragmatic and heuristic approach but somehow feel that the lack of granularity in controlling ZAP relative to specific web pages may not satisfy the more paranoid amongst us? - but that of course is a seperate and extended topic not directly relevant to TDS!

1. TDS GUI Window foreground focus probs (undoubtedly MS OS/video driver problems).
    2. TDS terminating without Quit warning or any application or OS exception handling.
    3. TDS terminating with riched20.dll exception on initialisation.
    4. TDS unable to specify single file scan (locks up)
    5.Possibly missed trojan.dialer.9.aj (although 99% probability this is false+ from other s/w).

Actually the last one appears to causes a deadlock if you try and upload (via submit) to DCS because ZAP then loops with it's vsmon and DCS's tds3smtp trying to both check/send it respectively while AVG has locked the file as "allegedly" containing a trojan horse dialler!
    The TDS console quite correctly notes that it can't read the file as it's locked if you try and scan it but, unfortunately quitting TDS still leaves tds3smtp looping along with truevector and TDS's component both consuming CPU cycles like a "black hole"! (The gravity of this analogy will hopefully not escape others.... <vbg>)

Since TDS also appears to ship with this (uninstaller) and Norton doesn't flag it I somehow don't expect it to be virulent.
    However the fact that a read-locked file can cause this deadlock is in itself unsettling to my way of thinking?

Naturally as DCS is not (presumably) inundated with complaints then this has got to be a pathologically machine specific and/or user configuration error.
    Ergo - Mea maxima culpa!

So before anyone takes me to task on these symtpoms I should add that my original append (actually it was posted as a test append but somehow it got moved! <g>) was to establish how to access forums to research these symptoms myself before "wasting" the valuable time of others and I'm more than willing to cast aspertions and make slanderous remarks about William Gates OS(particularly) and other corequisite applications before laying any blame at the feet of TDS! <vbg>

It'll just take me some time to narrow it down by going thru the predictably time consuming routine of stripping down services/applications/services, re-installing on a clean machine etc before I expand further here.
    In the meantime, any pointers to any TDS extended diagnostic logging/dump controls could be potentially useful and never-the-less warmly appreciated anyway.

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

First, check your system files are up to date
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=files

What version of RICHED20.DLL do you have ?

If TDS-3 closes while scanning, try disabling ZIP/RAR scanning - do you have incomplete multipart RAR archives anywhere on your system ? those can cause such a problem when some of the archives are missing.

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

This can't be a result of a registered version of TDS.
    Best check if you know the processes, i try to keep it around some 30-35 when doing normal things for me.
    Are there legal processes blocked by exec protection? You would notice that in your system performance, programs not starting, etc.

Never heard of conflicts with any other program.

Best start TDS manually after reboot, so it has all space for all it's startyup scans. Of course it tries to use all available space to speed up the process so give it that space and it will drop back in a few moments.

This line should be in your HOSTS file
    64.91.255.87 www.dcsresearch.com
    to block access to that domain which name no longer belongs to DiamondCS and in no way belongs to your trusted zone unless you like to have tracking cookies on your system of that new registrant.
    Also add this forum here to the HOSTS file and both to trusted zone in your browser and ZA.

If some other scanner finds malware not detected by TDS feel free to zip the file and submit to submit@diamondcs.com.au for a second opinion.
    Since you like testing so much, you could like a third opinion at KAV online file checker www.kaspersky.com/remoteviruschk.html uploading the file and get an opinion within seconds.
    If you doubt about any alert do submit/test
    When you scan with TDS close all other scanners and their resident protection, so TDS has full access to all files.
    AVG: open it's GUI, uncheck all and close it again, the systray icon should grey out and do your TDS scans,
    The same counts for any scanner. TDS never needs to be closed though when scanning with other scanners, only don't have it actively scanning at the same time.

Scanning a single file can be done either rightclick on the file in windows eplorer or
    TDS > system testing > Scan control > browse > look for the file you want to scan > see its name on the button under the search window and click that button, close with X, you see it displayed in the scan select window and press Scan!
    If you don't get a scan result the file was OK, else you get a warning.
    If you want to scan a whole folder or directory you use the other buttons, or Add. You like testing so much, so you'll find out what all those different buttons there will add to the scan selection.

You should configure your email address and mailserver properly in TDS > Configuration > Servers tab.
    And grant internet access via ZA. Maybe you can set that permanent so it is not asked again.

If a process hangs kill it in TDS Process List.
    You might like to edit your programs list in ZA with allowances etc.for the TDS components.

This version of TDS-3 is running on many thousands of systems without any problems, nor conflicts; what you described are all Zone Alarm settings, closing other scanners at the time of scanning and looking for which programs you're trying to start and which is blocked by TDS as it should, maybe Exec Protection saved you thousands of Euros for not allowing your dialer to call expensive sites, whatever...... You might see in the events list which application was blocked that many times and you might find ways to clean out.

10. horseman

Gavin/Jooske
    Your latest comments/suggestions/queries have been noted with gratitude and are currently being implemented and/or investigated prior to feedback of specific details required.

Meanwhile a System HW/SW spec has been posted in this thread:
    http://diamondcs.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=23022#post23022

Many thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.