Spyware Blaster 3.2 wont detect Firefox.

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Donut, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donut

Donut Registered Member

it says that Firefox isnt installed and that it cant find a user profile for it.

when i had SpywareBlaster 3.1 installed. it found Firefox and worked fine.

what can i do to fix this problem?

i have firefox customized, so i dare not want to reinstall it.

already tried reinstalling SpywareBlaster 3.2, part of me wants to go back to 3.1 if this cant be fixed. for i use Firefox instead of IE.

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders!
    The new version of SB requires that Firefox 0.91 be installed; it will not recognize earlier versions of Firefox.

Note: I just installed 0.91 over 0.8. No problems with lost bookmarks or passwords.

3. Donut

Donut Registered Member

should i go back to 3.1 then?

i dont want to upgrade my firefox browser, cause then id have to customize and do everything from scratch. and then risk not liking it.

if i install 9.1 over the previous version. will i lose my theme and extensions and already customized settings? cause thats what i dont want to do over.

4. LiveOak

LiveOak Registered Member

Thanks, I had this same problem when I downloaded 3.2. Should I uninstall Firefox 0.8 first?

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Firefox 0.9 should import all of your settings from previous versions of the Firefox browser. (It should ask to do this the first time it's run - if it doesn't, there are fairly simple manual methods of doing so.)

And in the event that you don't like Firefox 0.9, your 0.8 profile should remain on your system so you can always go back to that older version (just don't install 0.9 over your 0.8 installation - put them in separate folders).

That said, there is at least one security vulnerability in Firefox that was fixed in the 0.9 release, and it generally runs much faster than 0.8, so I would highly recommend upgrading (or at least giving the new version a try).

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. dangitall

Donut - I would imagine that what you've done to customize your copy of FF can be redone, right? If past history is any example, future SB updates will not apply to 3.1, so you'll soon be unprotected by SB. Is it worth it?

LiveOak - I simply installed the new version of FF over the old, and everything works ... but I had no themes or extensions installed. Passwords and bookmarks remained untouched.

7. LiveOak

LiveOak Registered Member

Thanks, dangitall. It worked fine. All my bookmarks, etc. were there, and SpywareBlaster recognizes me now . It only took a couple of seconds to get a couple of new themes.

I appreciate the quick response.

8. dangitall

Not a problem! Glad to have been of help.

And, by the way, welcome to Wilders!

9. Donut

Donut Registered Member

well i upgraded to .9 and so far, no extensions seem to be imported, hell there isnt even an extensions manager in this new version of firefox. and literally all that i had changed in .8 is now completely gone in .9

and i gotta say i dont like it. i was fine with my .8 , only thing i like from this new version is that it opens up faster.

but all my extensions which made the browser by far the best of any other browser, are no longer in this new version.

10. chew

chew Registered Member

Donut

Sorry to hear that you've lose your customised extensions.

Please don't be discouraged or dishearten by the lost. It might be for something good i.e. a new start and a new customise look.

I hope at least you have bookmarked where you got the extension from and had a screen shot of what it looked like before you upgraded. If not don't worry just start again. I know this is of no consolation whatsoever but I think the latest version 0.91 might be better at preventing futher threats or harms from the nasties. That is the big picture you must not forget.

So start customising it again and I bet it wil be even better. Keep it simple and keep it sweet. Bear in mind FF version 1.0 will be released in few more months ... and at least you know what to do next time.

I have just upgraded to FF 0.91 just few 5 mins ago. I must say the upgrade only took me less than 3 mins.

I don't have any extension and am just sticking the standard feature for the moment until the next version 1.0 is out ... even so I might just keept it simple and sweet.

Hope that helps.

Chew

P/s: I was so stressed up since the released of FF 0.91 that it took me until now to upgrade it ... because I have No idea whatsoever about software and was reading the whole things on the forum to learn. I had to upgrade to 0.91 because I want to use SpywareBlaster 3.2. So there you go ...

11. Donut

Donut Registered Member

well i didnt like it, so i removed it, and .8 still worked fine and works like it always has. i just cant believe they took off the extensions manager on .9. i mean thats just insane. its the extensions that make FireFox worthwhile. but yeah ill just stick to the usual sites that i know are safe and keep it at that. cause i just now upgraded my Yahoo Messenger to 6.0 cause i hated it and i loved my customized 5.6 but i mean i backed up the registry and kept it installed, i didnt remove it. so yeah i did enough upgrading for one day. no way im gonna start from scratch again with Firefox. its just too good of a browser that i customized to start all over. and plus the fact that i cant get .9 to be exactly like i had .8. so its not worth it.

12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The extention manager is still there, and I've found it to be improved upon a little. I haven't been able to get it to import from an old install either, or from Mozilla, but I reinstall the OS often enough that I have just downloaded all the XPIs into the same folder as the install file. So when I inevitably have to reinstall, it only takes a few mins to get it back to where it was. Since you can run both, you could always try slowly converting things over. You'll need to reinstall things at SOME point, so you might want to try saving the XPIs, too.

13. Tristor

Tristor Guest

I have yet to upgrade above 0.8 because of a small amount of my many extensions not being upgraded yet. Is there any way to get it to recognize 0.8? Any way at all? Do you offer the source code on your website somewhere, where I could modify it to recognize 0.8 myself? I have a rather special attachment to my extensions, and I don't plan on upgrading any of my mozilla.org software until all the extension devs finish upgrading all the extensions I use. (I am still using TBird 0.6 too)

Tristor

14. Neil Parks

Neil Parks Guest

Firefox extension manager

What do you mean, "took off the extension manager"? FF 0.9 has an all-new extension mgr that is much better than anything in older versions.

All extensions had to be rewritten for compatibility with the new E.M. If your favorite has not been updated, you might be able to use it by installing the "Show Old Extensions" extension. (Be sure to get release 0.1.5, not 0.1.3).

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

As Neil Parks says you need to get "show old extensions" extension. Then you can install old extensions and be able to see them in the new extensions manager. They may or may not work. I got Spell Checker Front End 0.4.0 to work doing this. You can get Show Old Extensions 0.1.5 here (halfway down the page).
    http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/

Also, NEVER install 0.9+ on top of 0.8! You must first disable all extensions in 0.8. This is VERY important and then uninstall 0.8. Then install 0.9+ . Your profile from 0.8 will remain intact so you will have your bookmarks, etc. The profile will be moved though from the Phoenix folder to the Mozilla folder which is very stupid and poses potential problems for Mozilla if you run it also.

16. Brien

Brien Registered Member

------------------------------------

I had FireFox 0.9 installed taking two tries - it worked for awhile -
    then junked .

I'm staying with 0.8 as Extensions work as well as most everything else.

I enjoy the SpywareBlaster and SpyGuard along with SpyBot .

I do find Javacoolsoftware at Fault for not printing clearly at the
    Download site that 3.2 will not recognize FireFox 0.8 .

No - one should not expect participants to go digging further
    past the Download Site for Incompatibility Issues known to
    the Supplier .

I'll go looking for a 3.1 version off of www.cnet.com

I believe it shortsighted of Javacool to produce an 'Upgrade' - that disallows the 0.8 FireFox build as so many Issues are in use .

As well - when my 3.1 version advised me of an Upgrade for my
    current configuration - I didn't expect it to be lying .

17. JoJo Gunn

JoJo Gunn Guest

I get the feeling you're not going to support 3.1, nor we who have problems with the Firefox 0.9 "upgrade". As you can see from my link, I've had nothing but trouble with 0.9. Now I find 3.2 doesn't recognize 0.8 on my machine or a friends, and there aren't any more updates to be had for 0.8 and SWB3.1

Am I going to have to go back to IE? Looks that way. I'm also going to have to reconsider my recommendations of SWB. This crap ain't no better than dealing with Gates.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=101057&highlight=

18. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Brien

How is it lying?

I have never seen it say any thing about current configuration.

It just say it can not update itself [3.1] as there is a new Version, and you need to download the new one to update.

It is not MS Updates which MS scans your system. that is if you are useing Windows.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

19. I believe he was sayin that the update was lying because it no longer supports FF .8. In that way, it's not an "update" for his system. Instead, he would have to update his FF before he could use 3.2. Personally I don't feel like downloading FF .9 because I'm on dial up [everyone] Feel sorry for ghost [/everyone] :p anyways, 4 MB is a lot to download. I even installed XP SP2 beta on my parents computer and it took 5hrs to download.
    ~Ghost

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.