Anyone heard of mks_vir 2004?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tazdevl, Jun 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

http://www.mks.com.pl/english.html

Polish company. Seems to have been around for a while.

You can download a functional trial. Can only be installed once, when you uninstall, can't reinstall.

Pretty cool stuff. Seems to have adv heuristics like NOD32 and Sandbox like Norman.

Got a couple false positives in a scan, one was for an uninstalled version of the bitorrent client, which does have tojanesque code, other might have been the real deal. Scan time was about 2/3 the time of KAV 5 @ max.

System is pretty snappy, nothing went boom.

I heard they're going to be selling it next week via an English site www.mksantivirus.com or something along those lines if you're interested. Site isn't up yet, will post back when it is. Price is going to be around $35.

*Edit - since I uninstalled and can't reinstall, if someone has downloaded this and is in the mood to test it out... how about downloading EICAR, maybe some of the other publicly available test files and posting results.

What do y'all think?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

tazdevl,

Although my Polish is nonexistent, when I did a quick scan of the website, it looked like a single home user price looked to be $46. (not sure of the tax component here). How firm does the $35 price seem? At that price it could be a good secondary package.

Blue

3. tazdevl

Hey blue, well speaking a couple of dialects of chinese isn't helping me much either. :D

Called the US distributor. Seems to be firm, I guess we'll find out in the next week or so when the English site opens up. I've been on both sides of pricing... firm, traditional model with finance's signoff and marketing driven flexible value based model set at the last minute... I'd bet we'll see the latter.

Here's the contact info:

Soltech Computer Technology, LLC
    387 West Main Street
    New Britain, CT 06052-1329
    Tel (860) 827-9985
    Toll Free (888 ) 535-9325
    Fax (860) 832-9309

URL is not working but I'm pretty sure it's www.mksantivirus.com

I'd recommend waiting a week before anyone contacts them. Let them focus on getting the site up. You'll be able to buy a license key, downloaded version or retail box when it launches. Probably be more product info there, so be patient.

Props to Kobra, he tracked this down and introduced me to the app.

So a lot of views, no comments which means people are playing. What is everyone's initial impressions?

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

There support is not so cool . I emailed 3 days ago and another email 2 days ago after trying it out in order to ask a few questions etc . I had heard from a certain poster that their response was within 30 mins etc (during this same time frame). but then again I also heard that a certain AV company was also as good from the same poster yet I had been waiting 6 months to hear back from them . So i hope they do have a decent support otherwise using a polish anti virus with no support is not such a great idea. My Babal fish translation does not seem to have polish .

5. tazdevl

Well it's a foreign company that's just in one market and might be testing this one, so don't expect a huge commitment in terms of operational support. The whole US distribution might just be a proof of concept. They might be thinking that since you aren't part of their current market and they have no interest in selling their product to you, why should they waste resources and respond?

I'd assume a fair number folks working there do speak English, language shouldn't be an issue, could be wrong. Generally you have fairly well educated people working at software companies.

The tech seems solid, that's what I care about. If you asked specifics about how the tech works, they might not be comfortable handing info out, trade secrets and all that good stuff. Also, depending on where you are in the world, privacy has a different meaning and each company markets its products differently, so expecting best practices might be a lost cause.

I'm hypothesizing on all this, could be way off base. But I think it's important for folks to keep realistic expectations so things don't get blown out of proportion.

I think there is a contact option in the app, might used to submit a suspicious file. Try using it.

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Thats the contact I used as I trialed it for 3 days and emailed using the one given.

7. tazdevl

Dunno, you could send a fax to the distributor listed above. I talked to the guy on the phone and he does speak English.

They might not support trail versions as well. Again, it's a foreign company, so you never know.

8. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

I am just now testing MKS_VIR 2004 heuristics against NOD with their both AH. So far, I have to admit that MKS has detected more % of those not detected by their without heuristics detections than NOD with AH against my 1378 infected archived samples, quite promising. Overall detection was also better than NOD's against my samples.

Besides, just now passed away Marek Sell, the soul of MKS, was a member of The WildList Organization International, so no worry of that ITW capability. U now the agreement, when all av-producers have to inform about those ITW threats.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might want to read this about the antivirus in question. It seems that it is made to specifically target malware found in poland not all around the world. check out the second paragraph. info

here is a demo I don't know if it is in english or not demo

10. tazdevl

As I said, definitely want to test it out.

I don't know enough about things to comment intelligently, but seems to me that there are certain code commonalities in most of the nasties out there that the heuristics would pick up. If the heuristics didn't, I'd imagine the sandbox/internal proxy would observe the abnormal behavior and shut it down.

Anyway, this was something that I found pretty interesting, hope you all do.

11. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

How does it fare overall (compared to more sig-heavy products)?

12. tazdevl

Download the demo and test it out.

13. VikingStorm

All I can tell is that it's very fast, and false positive prone for me (Have gotten 7-8 FPs so far on standard heuristics).

(And has some strange strange conflict with Outpost Firewall Pro and Trillian (or even AIM alone))

14. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

Here are my results concerning MKS with AH vs. NOD with AH.

Heuristics detected/Missed without heuristics = Detection percents:

MKS full collection__ 88/299 = 29.4 %
    MKS trojan like______ 14/70 = 20.0 %
    MKS riskware________ 6/66 = 9.1 %
    MKS viruses_______ 68/163 = 41.7 %

NOD full collection__ 115/466 = 24.7 %
    NOD trojan like_______ 5/122 = 4.1 %
    NOD riskware_________ 4/87 = 4.6 %
    NOD viruses_______ 106/257 = 41.2 %

Although NOD detected more, it also missed more with AH. Against viruses in my collection NOD and MKS were quite equal, but MKS was good against BAT, Win32 and worms when NOD was best against Win32 and worms.

I don't think so that MKS is capable to detect only "Polish" nasties. In my own test MKS beated Panda Platinum 7, DrWeb 4.31b, Avast 4.1 Home, Symantec Online Scan, AntiVir 6.25.0.102, NOD32 upd 1.791 with AH, ClamWin 0.35 and AVG 6.0. Maybe my nasties are then Polish!!!

I have done a full scan by MKS_VIR 2004 with AH, and no false positives in those 100 000+++ files but one virus (even though I have Panda installed in my system). That virus was there, because I was just before collected more viruses from VX sites and my resident protection was off. (who is even more stupid?) That virus was not detected by Panda or BitDefender, but with eXtendia, yes.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  15. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Hi Tazdevl
    If your on xp cant you restore to before 1st install and then reinstall if you wanted to?
    Steve

16. tazdevl

Hi Steve,

I didn't set a restore point. Even if I did, couple things have changed in my system since I installed mks, so there's some risk in going back. Such is life. :D

Viking, I didn't have any issues with Trillian Pro. What problems did you run into?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  17. JKLEuro

JKLEuro Guest

Seems to me I found my nod32 and kaspersky replacement, i'm testing this now and its faster and more effective than anything i've seen. I'm tired of kaspersky snipped program and quite unsatisfied with nod32s detection failures.

thank you for the link sir

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2004
  18. VikingStorm

It wouldn't let me login (it conflicted with Outpost to Trillian for some reason, worked when Outpost was disabled).

19. tazdevl

Maybe you/Outpost blocked a one of the modules that needs access to the net. No issues with ZA.

20. tazdevl

Forgot to mention I did get a response to my emails, took 3 business days (with weekend in the middle).

Send FPs and suspicious files to virus@mks.com.pl

21. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I see someone is using his proxy scrambler :blink:

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No doubt Blackcat, no doubt. All over the place. :D

23. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

You're not insinuating that JKLEuro might be known here under another name and has possibly been banned from posting here are you? doesn't seem to like NOD(or Kav now,banned from there as well?) I wonder who that could be?

24. sig

sig Registered Member

"...or Kav now,banned from there as well?"

Yup.

25. tazdevl

Please back OT folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.