What I'd like in TDS4...

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Checkout, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

I'd like TDS4 to collapse to the tray when you click the big red X, instead of terminating - with a separate action if you really do want to terminate it. The times I've clicked that X by mistake, thinking it would behave like so many other security/privacy programs...

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Oops Checkout, I'm a little bit in the dark here about what you mean, sorry.

What about pushing - instead of x ?

And couldn't this also be of help:
    Configuration > Startup > Minimise TDS to
    And then choose what you like there.

(Well, that being said, I admit that I too have made sometimes such a mistake with some programs in general ;)).

Attached Files:

3. AAP

AAP Guest

Hello,All

There is only one thing i would
    like to see added to TDS-4 & that
    is an option to add a password
    so if my kids get on my pc they have
    no way of playing with my Toy hehe

Hey,FanJ

how did you make a screen shot
    that small

Thanks

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi AAP,

I make screenshots with SnagIt 6.
    The dates for this one were: 190x82 (256) gif.
    In this case I didn't need to make it smaller.

As you look in this thread:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2871
    you might see that the pictures were a little bit too large; I should have made them a bit smaller.

As you look here:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=3523
    you see some other screenshots; those I made a bit smaller with Photoshop after I toke them with SnagIt.
    The largest width for a gif picture to post here seems to be 550.
    The best format for a picture to post seems to be gif, as they load for the users the most quickly.

Cheers, Jan.

5. AAP

AAP Guest

Hey,FanJ

Thanks for the info but 2 things in the
    first link in your TDS for
    CRC32 i see you have this Verifying 106 files
    i have 29 files what's up with that am i doing
    somthing wrong again & i also see that you
    do not have Init TDS Privileges & do you have

a link for that SnagIt 6.

Thanks

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi AAP , doing nothing wrong: CRC has some standard files at installation it looks at; Jan became rather entusiastic in time using and seeing it's possibilities and added lots he likes to be checked over time. Quite inventive !

The Init TDS Privileges is also a personal choice: in WinME / 98/SE systems that doesn't function, only on 2000/NT/XP systems.
    Even if you initiate that in the configuration it will say it does, but it does not do all like on the other systems.
    Not that the others will notice anything bad if we check them.
    I have more options checked, in fact all there is, also in the scanning options, all checked and the worm sensitivity slider on highest senstitivity, but those are all personal choices; if i for instance would find an infection, i could decide to do a next full system scan with the not looking into zip/rar and not into the compressed executables to see if there are life trojans/worms around.

I like the screenshots Jan makes too. I have various little tools on my desktop; a very nice easy one is also Screen Grab Pro at http://www.traction-software.co.uk/screengrabpro/ which enables to get just the part you want or full screens and some more (free).

Jan will be able to tell about his preferred tool.

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi AAP,

Here is the link to SnagIt:
    http://www.techsmith.com/

It's no free ware. There are other free screen-capture programs on the net. At the moment I cannot reach the List of lists, but I'm almost sure that there are some of them named overthere.

Well, Jooske told you about Init TDS Privileges.
    I guess I have mentioned in the thread about the basic config for what kind of OS it is usefull to have it enabled.

About the CRC32-feature:
    As Jooske said, I have added some more files (with their full path) to it to check; at the moment about 117 files.
    If you like, I could start a new thread about the CRC32-feature in TDS-3.

8. AAP

AAP Guest

Hello,Jooske & FanJ

I would like to say thanks to both of you
    for the replys & help & links hey Jooske
    it looks to me like you are still hard at work
    it's good to see you take care

& FanJ

Would i like it man i would love it
    thanks & keep up all the hard work

Hey anyone see my Man Paul

Paul i would like to stay around for
    some fun but AA- is on my back again

hope all is good with you & Family

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hey AAP,

I already guessed you were AA+

OK, I will start a new thread about the CRC32-feature in TDS-3, but it could take awhile ;)
    BTW: in some other threads I have already posted about it, but it might be a good idea to give it a thread for its own.

Cheers, Jan.

10. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

=) mawhaaaaa trying to talk about tds-4 with out blaze lol

actualy i just want it to be done so i can play with it wait its still not done right lol im always the last to know lol

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Of course MrBlaze, we kept it all hidden and secret especially for you and are beta testing version 5 already but don't tell this around please.

12. Mr.Blaze

blaze puts hand on forhead thud faints

13. FanJ

FanJ Guest

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I would like an update service with a press of the button, for all software installed on my system, telling which programs i have various times on it qua functionallity and which is the best alternative to keep, uninstalling the doubles after i accepted it's advice, updating and scanning all the updates first if it really is better or that it might just add vulnerabilities in my system's security (95% of the windows/ie will filter out that way), blocking spy functions but not the usefull programs functions, just getting an idea i think.
    I know there are subscriptioons possible on such functions and scanning the system, and security sites and bunches more to do, but i want it all with one press of the button.
    Realising this is all possible already with the TDS-3 we have, and some scripting from our side if we want that script making us visiting site a, b, c etc etc and do all those tests, even voice commanded with the use of the speech engines and animated if we want with the msagents or live actors hmmmm but i just want it as a button in the TDS 4 menu system :)

15. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Just in regards to minimising to the tray when you press the 'X' close button on a window, TDS3 simply behaves as expected -- the X button (by Windows conventions) is supposed to close the window, terminating the program in doing so if it is the parent window. The minimise button is for minimising - if you want to minimise TDS to the tray, just press the minimise button. Why would you want the X button to behave exactly the same as the minimise button? (Why not just have one button in that case?) - If we changed the X button so that it minimised (ie. duplicating the same functionality of the minimise window), I know that a lot of people would complain that it would make it harder to close TDS, and most people use TDS as an on-demand scanner, and seeing as there already is a minimise button it seems pointless to duplicate that functionality in a way that people may find misleading.

Obviously you have your own thoughts on this, Checkout, but personally I find it frustrating when programs minimise instead of closing - if I press the X button, I expect the thing to die. If the process refuses to die, I have no choice but to introduce it to the wrath of my debuggers ... :)

If anybody else has thoughts on this, feel free to share

Best regards,
    Wayne

16. Checkout

Wayne, perhaps a compromise? A pop-up "Do you really want to shutdown TDS?" type kind thing sort of? Accidental closure is sooo easy. :)

17. Mr.Blaze

i just want to give tds a nice warm home in my computer=)

18. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

That "are you sure you want to close TDS" is there already, see Configuration > Misc > Confirm before quit
    while in the > Startup tab you can choose to minimize to tray or systray, so just learn to use the minimize button.
    Or alt+F4 for closing the active window if you don't like to use the X button.

19. controler

controler Guest

I am sure he meant to systray not taskbar.
    - should minimize to taskbar, X should close unless you chose to minimize to system tray instead. Lots of programs allow that option now. They even offer hiding the icon :D

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I'm glad i am used to what at least used to be one standard with every program, - for minimize and X for closing and here i even have one extra option to where i want it to be minimized. I really don't like disabled buttons which acted normal and an extra question if i really think to be sure what i want. I would get confused and irritated how to get the program closed if i really want it to in stead of being forced to use the contr+alt+del if the normal closing buttons don't function as standard.
    Also i am very happy i know for closing any active window with alt+f4 for the X button.
    I don't know if you ever noticed you can jump through TDS already a lot with just pressing the proper buttons, like Alt+H to open the Help menu and all those menu items and all the other hotkeys.
    So i'm happy you have now the minimize - button to choose tray (taskbar) or systray and the X closes like i expect it to do and i even can check for a confirmation of that action or not at my own choice. Use that thing then to prevent unwanted closing in stead of disabling a general accepted function.
    If you like, TDS has an option for scripting; there are some buttons to which you can add your own commands, so if you like make a close or minimize script and hang that on one of those command buttons, or make an exe MSagent script which can do it voice controlled for you. Just say "hide" or "show" or whatever you want it to and it does all mouseless and voice controlled for you.

21. Checkout

Thanks, Jooske - I'll try that.

22. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Which of the many options i mentioned?

For the "hide" it's possible to do already very easy, but i don't know where to "show" it again:
    Once i was editing an SS3 script with an msagent, wanting to get rid of the thing just typed "hide" in the console and it disappeared; not really looking i typed "hide" again, but as there was not any agent to close or hide anymore, the TDS console had become the active window which nicely disappeared on that "hide" command.
    Hmm was confused how to get it to "show" again as i had nowhere to type, but maybe one can just type that anywhere or use the alt+tab to make it show up again, not sure, did not try.
    I don't know the possibilities of XP with the voice commands and if they work everywhere on the system or just for dictation in word. For if they work everywhere it would be something to make TDS the active window (by commanding "Computer, TDS, hide / show / close") it all voice commanded.
    Before i knew the much easier possibilities with the agents i ever installed the whole complete Speech SAPI4SDK (which is over 50mb now and can excist beside sapi5 included in XP) and practised a lot with that dictation and voice commanding and being answered.
    It's the easiest way to make your $3000 computer a $1 time telling engine.
    Did you notice in many windows applications you can activate menu's with alt+ some character to slide through the menu's all mouseless? And this is what i really like to get into such (msagents) desktophelpers voice commanded.

23. coolartist

coolartist Registered Member

I'd like to have an option to save and print out the netstat console so I can compare it with other stuff.

24. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

As far as i remember this and the autostart console is on the wishlist and included in the new features for TDS-4.

25. FanJ

FanJ Guest

At least you can make a screenshot with a program that is able to do so:

(some numbers were faded out by me)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.