Chrome microphone bug

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Ocky, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Chrome Bugs Allow Sites to Listen to Your Private Conversations

2. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

The next sentence from that article is interesting:

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It would seem that someone considers that a feature, not a bug.

4. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...s-google-chrome-into-advanced-bugging-device/

5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Google is love. :thumb:

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

7. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

Never used chrome and will never use it.
    I've heard so many negative things about them, one of them is that they do lissten to your PC port's and other stuff.

Google Chrome has failed.

8. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

You do understand every internet facing program listens to ports I assume? The problem with Chrome has always been that Google owns it. You could come up with every accusation in the book about what Chrome does behind the scenes, no matter how illogical or misunderstood the accusation may be, and people will burn it at the stake because it's Google. This is both a problem of people being fed misinformation and bias or having a hatred towards the company..and a problem of Google having done quite enough to deserve the suspicion.

Chrome can at times be a fickle little rascal and often it just screws up because it evidently decides to. But it's overall the most secure browser out there, is fast and is useable. The bad part of course is that the money Google puts into Chrome to make it that way comes at a heavy price to the user. As for this microphone bug, that spokeswoman response is about what users should expect. Microsoft is the king of making those exact statements. I'm sure it'll get fixed. If it doesn't, well, then that's one more black mark against Google in a long line of them.

9. SnowFlakes

If Chrome is so good then use Chrome for yourself, because if it is so good you would not have to convince me but i would be using it by now ;)

10. Dave0291

I do use it. Just because you want to accept all the things you hear about it as being bad, doesn't make it so. Why? Because internet. :D So, yeah, Google is the problem, not Chrome. I don't intend to try and convince you because I don't care what you use or believe, lol.

11. SnowFlakes

Well that's good for you, then continue to use Google Chrome ;)
    and i also don't really care what you use or belive.

Cheers , Cheers

12. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

On another note. I use Firefox because it has better extensions and more user control. Firefox is also not tied to Google. But that's just me, use whatever browser you want.

13. Dave0291

It has perhaps more powerful extensions, yes. But that can be good or bad. User control looks to be slowly going away with each new release. As to not being tied to Google, well, that depends on how you look at it. Google may not be completely tied in with Mozilla, but they most certainly are involved in some manner. After all, Google is paying them millions to make their engine default in Firefox. They take that away eventually, and I'm not so certain Firefox would have a guaranteed future. But let's get back to the Chrome mic bug, shall we?

14. tlu

tlu Guest

I've read news that the bug is not reproducible in v. 32 since it does not open a popunder window but rather a popup. Thus, the browser clearly displays a symbol in every tab or window if the microphone is active (which could be hidden if a popunder window were opened which is not the case). I haven't checked that since I don't use that feature.

15. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.